- "What you should be concerncing yourself with is that Leone gambling house up in Saint Mark's. The Sindaccos are going nuts about it. I heard they're gonna blow the place off the map."
- ― JD O'Toole
A Volatile Situation is a mission in Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories that is given to protagonist Toni Cipriani by Joseph Daniel O'Toole from his bar in the Red Light District of Portland Island, Liberty City.
Toni goes to Paulie's Revue Bar looking for more work from JD, who is entertaining some '"special" clients. He warns Toni about the safety of the Leone Family-controlled casino in Saint Mark's. Toni leaves and drives to the casino, where he receives a phone call from JD. JD warns him of the Sindacco Family's plans to destroy the casino.
A group of Sindacco Family gang members arrive in a Sindacco Argento, with one of the gang members attempting to rig a bomb outside of the casino. Toni kills and stops the gang members, but is met by a second wave, who also arrive in another Sindacco Argento but wield MAC-10s. Toni once again kills and stops the Sindacco family gang members. A third group in a Patriot arrive with Micro-SMG's in hand, but Toni again manages to fend them off.
After killing all three groups, the Sindaccos decide to unleash their biggest weapon, a Yankee rigged with explosives. The player may choose to either pursue and destroy the truck before it reaches its destination (thereby passing the mission), or wait for the truck to stop outside the casino with the bomb armed, at which point the player will be required to drive the truck away from the casino, but can only do so at a very low speed, as the driver has set the truck so that it remains in a limited speed (plus the street is likely packed with stopped vehicles due to the previous attacks). Toni drives the truck to a safe distance and then exits the truck and runs away. The truck explodes and the mission ends.
In order to complete the mission the player must:
- Check out the Casino
- Take out the Sindacco saboteurs and reinforcements
- Stop the armed truck from destroying the casino
- While the bomb is armed, if you place it near the light pole and it blows up, the pole will be permanently destroyed and will not be repaired when you leave it.
- This is only one of the two missions in the game where you will not gain a wanted level, regardless of your actions, the other being Home Sweet Home.
- Two Leone gang members stand guard outside the casino and will assist you in defending it. Be careful not to shoot them as the auto-targeting can't tell the difference between friend and foe.
- The third wave of Sindaccos arrive in a unique dark brown Patriot. If desired, you can save this by either using this to destroy the bomb truck to complete the mission and drive to the garage or by failing the mission.
- This mission may be a homage to the film The Long Good Friday, which involves gang members planting bombs in various places owned by the film's protagonist, including his casino (the outside of which looks somewhat similar to the Leone casino).