Body armor is a pickup in the Grand Theft Auto series that serves primarily to protect the player's health from specific forms of damage, most notably gunfire. In most cases, body armor in the games is illustrated as a protective blue vest.
First introduced in the original Grand Theft Auto, the body armor's primary function is to serve as padding for the player health, in effect extending the player's resilience to damage from gunfire, explosions and fire.
GTA 1 — GTA 2
In early top-down GTA games, armors in both GTA 1 (as well as Grand Theft Auto London mission packs) and GTA 2 serve their intended purpose, adding 10 more hit points to the player's existing health, but provides no protection to the player when they fall from great heights, are run over by vehicles, or are beaten up by the police and arrested. Armors are most commonly found spawned in specific locations or crates, and, in the case of GTA 2, can also be acquired by crushing specific cars.
GTA III — GTA Vice City Stories
Body armor continued to be featured between GTA III and GTA Vice City Stories, undergoing several more changes. In all its of its appearances, armor now offers nearly the same amount of hit points as the player's full health, doubling the player's resistance to damage. The armor hit points stayed the same until GTA San Andreas where the armor is now a bar instead of hit points. In addition, armor can now pad injuries from falls, collisions with vehicles on foot, and even melee attacks; the armor in GTA San Andreas and GTA Vice City Stories is an exception, providing no protection to the player from falls, while the armor in Grand Theft Auto Advance provides no protection to melee attacks.
In addition to spawning in specific locales, body armor can also be purchased at stores that sell weapons, such as Ammu-Nation, as well as entering the police/SWAT Enforcer trucks. Like the player's health, armor hit points between GTA Vice City and GTA Vice City Stories (sans GTA Advance) can typically be increased easily via side-missions (such as "Vigilante"), as well as 100% completion of the game.
The appearance of armor pickups has also changed significantly after GTA III. When included in GTA III, the pickup assumed the appearance of a shield icon; in games after, however, the pickup is redesigned as a spinning vest, possibly to avoid confusion with the police bribe pickup.
GTA IV — GTA Chinatown Wars
Armor in GTA IV has been refashioned slightly out of realism. It no longer offers protection to falls, collisions with vehicles on foot, or melee attacks (including hand-to-hand combat and melee weapons), increasing the player's chances of death from these hazards. Armor in GTA Chinatown Wars appears to revert to pre-GTA IV settings.
As expected, armor can be found lying about in specific points of the city (distinguishable by its red glow) as well as underground weapon dealers in GTA IV or AmmuNation.net in GTA Chinatown Wars. NOOSE Enforcers still provide the player some armor, but only gives the player roughly one third of the maximum amount (With the exception of GTA Chinatown Wars, which gives you full armor).
Grand Theft Auto V introduced a more complex body armor system, including five tiered armor vests ranging from small arms protection to large caliber weapon and explosive protection. Body armor once again provides protection from falls and impacts. Each next level tier provides an added 20% armor, and you cannot buy the weaker armor after you buy the next tier (buy light, cannot buy super light).
- Super Light Armor: $500 (20% armor)
- Light Armor: $1000 (40%)
- Standard Armor: $1500 (60%)
- Heavy Armor: $2000 (80%)
- Super Heavy Armor: $2500 (100%)
These five armor suits can be bought from Ammu-Nation.
Armor suits has been reported to be massively weaker in GTA Online, even at 100%. Probably to compensate for this, players are able to have up to a maximum of ten reserve armor vests (at level 135) in their inventories.
|This article or section is Under Construction.|
- Red Light District - near the safehouse after collecting 50 hidden packages.
- Saint Mark's - in a area behind Momma's Restaurante, where a Mafia Sentinel is parked, follow the edge around the building and down a side ramp. There's also an AK-47 near the armor.
- Far northeast Portland Harbor - near Emergency Vehicles Import/Export crane.
- On roof of Liberty Pharmaceuticals, across Bitch'n' Dog Food, along with a Hidden Package, an AK-47, an adrenaline and a health pickup. From train tracks, make a running jump onto a black roof beside Mean Street Taxis and follow it to the end to get there.
- Beside a fenced area across from Joey's Garage.
- Atlantic Quays:
- Belleville Park:
- Liberty Campus - on porch of the north building.
- Fort Staunton - on second floor of the building in Panlantic Constrution site, near a health pickup (take the ramp in the west side, follow it to the end then turn right on the stairs).
- Bedford Point:
- In the southeast corner of a large building beside Liberty City Cathedral, next an AK-47 pickup icon.
- At the Liberty Tree parking lot (where the mission Kingdom Come takes place), in the walled area behind a parked Moonbeam. Use the van to get there, park it by the lowest part of the wall, climb the car, then jump over the wall. It is also a Carbine Rifle location.
- Francis International Airport - atop the road tunnel entrance next the Airport.
- Pike Creek:
- Wichita Gardens - near the safehouse after collecting 50 Hidden Packages.
- Cedar Grove - inside the storage garage in the front yard of the Cartel Mansion (use the Cartel Cruiser to enter).
GTA Vice City
- Inside Ocean View Hotel (after collecting 10 Hidden Packages).
- In the building beside Pay 'n' Spray where a Banshee and a PCJ-600 spawn (go upstairs).
- Can be bought for $200 in the Ammu-Nation after Jury Fury.
- Behind a pink building at east of Hotel Harrison (near a pool and a Micro SMG pickup).
- At the north corner of the building destroyed in the mission Demolition Man.
- In a small room at bottom of the stairs (after collecting 10 hidden packages).
- Beside the steps leading to the upper part of the garden on the south side (after collecting 10 hidden packages).
- In the bar beside the large central stairs of the main hall.
- In front of Standing Vice Point building.
- Near the basketball courts behind some apartments facing east The Well Stacked Pizza.
- At the Vice Point Police Station, part central of the district (get in the Enforcer).
- In a shrine just south of the El Swanko Casa.
- Can be bought for $200 at the Ammu-Nation inside North Point Mall after Jury Fury.
- At the building just south of the bridge that leads to Prawn Island (climb the ramp).
- In the corner of a building just south of 3321 Vice Point.
- In a sand bunker at the northwest part of the course.
- On roof of a building near the test track at the north of the district (use the stairs behind).
- On roof of Hyman Condo after collecting 10 Hidden Packages.
- In a alley at south of The Well Stacked Pizza.
- Can be bought for $200 in the Ammu-Nation after Jury Fury.
- Behind a building beside the The Greasy Chopper.
- On roof of Print Works (use stairs).
- In the corner of a blue house just west of the basketball court complex (behind some bushes).
- In the entrance of a building across the street from the big ship.
- Between some crates in the parking lot beside Vice City Transport Police (east of Escobar International Airport).
- At top of the east entrance guard tower.
GTA San Andreas
- In a jail cell and in the locker room in Los Santos Police Headquarters.
- At the base of the hill under the freeway, at the north end of the large red brick factory due west of the docks.
- In the alley to the right behind Supa Save.
- On the Da Nang Boys Freighter ship.
- Beside two green trash cans in the western part of the campus at Greenglass College.
- On top of of the conch-shell-shaped lobby at La Conca motel.
- Inside the Las Venturas Police Headquarters.
- Between the stairs of the dock south of the district.
- At the Rockshore Wedding Chapel.
- Spawn around the FleischBerg factory premises.
- One inside the prison cells and another in the locker room in the Dillimore Police Station.
- In the trailer park.
- Between a house and a garage in the northeast part of town.
- At the side and behind the wall of J & J’s Restaurant.
- At the summit.
- On the roof of the building near Pecker's Feed & Seed.
- Near boat station, behind a garage serving as a Unique Stunt Jump.
GTA Liberty City Stories
- Callahan Point - On the lower level of the dock.
- Saint Mark's - On top of one of the garage roofs just east of the Portland Island Safehouse.
- Newport - Can be bought in the Ammu-Nation for $240 after the completion of Driving Mr. Leone mission.
GTA Vice City Stories
- Can be found on the roof of the The Greasy Chopper.
- At the Marina Sands Hotel.
- In front of a wall in the underground carpark.
- Southwest corner on top level of the Ocean Beach Parking Garage.
- At the parking garage near the Ocean Bay Marina piers.
- Grassy area at southeast part of Ocean Beach
- At the end of the easternmost wall at the Alderney Ferry Terminal.
- Near some red and white plastic crates off Jonestown Ave
- On a ledge above the door of a building with the Sprunk sign in the front, climb on the dumpster to get it.
- In the alleyway on the North side of a chain link fence of Franklin St.
- Next to the West wall of the Plumbers Skyway on the ground.
- Next to the stairs from the building that leads out into the parking lot of Babbage Drive and Fleming St. You can get there from the east side building entry and walk up the stairs. You will find this useful in a mission later in the game.
- In an alley near the corner building off Lee Rd. To find it, climb the wall on the side where there usually are police cars, and find your way down the alley to the armor.
- Below the Plumbers Skyway bridge on a support beam, you can hop over from the one next to it.
- Near a burning barrel on the railroad tracks (West side of A.I.P.)
- Inside an old warehouse just inside the door. You also may see that you will use in a mission "Pegorino's Pride" given to you by Jimmy P.
- In Lancaster, in a small alley North of the Skeeza shop off Albany Ave.
- At the junction on the docks between the wood and cement in Northwood (off Grummer Road) on the lowest level.
- Below the Northwood Heights bridge support between the columns.
- On Charge Island, near 2 large spools and the stairs behind the boathouse. You may see it on the mission "Catch The Wave" given by Phil Bell.
- On a angled catwalk on Charge Island near a large electrical box. You may see it on the mission "Diamonds Are a Girl's Bestfriend" given by Gerald McReary.
- In the southwest corner of the parking garage on the second level next to a trash receptacle in Purgatory.
- You find this body armor in the mission "Late Checkout" given by Ray Boccino. If you don't do the mission, it is only accessible by helicopter drop and its on the rooftop patio near the red and yellow LOGGER umbrella in Star Junction at the Majestic.
- On a back alley ledge in Star Junction off Lorimar St where you see some skylights. Use the dumpsters to access it.
- In Hatton Gardens in a construction area, walk down the ramp and you find it underneath it.
- In the graveyard behind an Angel Statue marker on Colony Island.
- In an alley in the Triangle, on the Northwest corner of the block, its a slim alley to go into.
- In the Exchange, near the stairs behind the Supermarket off Borlock Rd.
- At the Northernmost point of the star shaped base of the Statue of Happiness on Happiness Island.
- In a pipe in the construction area in Castle Gardens.
- In the corner of the top floor of the unfinished building on Folsom Way.
- On the pier on Grand Boulevard.
- Behind the green storage unit, behind the ARS building on Folsom Way.
- Across from your first safehouse on the billboard. Its really hard to get, you have to jump off the Broker Dukes Expressway to the North to to access the rooftops and them carefully jump to the billboard to get it.
- Under the boardwalk on the rocks as it descends down to the water, north Dukes Drive.
- Behind a 2 car brick garage off Stillwater Ave.
- Northwest of an orange and white box and then behind the cement barrier. You WILL get a 4 star wanted level if you dare to go after this one.
- In the Francis International Airport area, on some rooftop generators. There is a ladder on the side to access it.
- Just off the Broker Dukes Expressway, in a small grassy area, near the airport fuel station.
- On the rooftop of an apartment building, there are stairs on the west side of it you can use to access it.
- On the East side of a steel gated door, just walk right through to get it. In an alley north of Sundance St.
- In the Platypus ships central control area up top with the steering wheel. You will have to helicopter drop to get it, there is a mission ("A Dish Served Cold" (Only if you choose Revenge after "One Last Thing")) you may be able to use it in as well, but you wont have to drop to get it then.
- In the junkyard, near the wooden fence at the entrance, in the leftover remains of a pickup.
- Inside the giant bowl sculpture on the roof of the Sum Yung Gai restaurant.
- Chiliad Mountain State Wilderness - inside Altruist Camp, on the ground in the church porch, located at the north of the camp.
- Del Perro - on the sidewalk in front of the Maze Bank.
- Southeast Downtown Los Santos - inside Police Department lobby.
- El Burro Heights - near St. Fiacre Hospital.
- Pillbox Hill - at the underground of Union Depository, in a small hole under the floor, along with an Assault Shotgun.
- Elysian Island - in a tower near Elysian Fields Freeway.
- Grapeseed - inside a barn on a farm at the intersection of Grapeseed Main Street and Union Road.
- Great Chaparral - under some rocks at the south.
- North Fort Zancudo - at the sewage works near the army base.
- Land Act Dam - inside the Dam building.
- Little Seoul - under the covered walkway at the museum.
- Mount Josiah - next to the tracks heading into the tunnel.
- Paleto Bay - behind the Paleto Bay Police Station.
- Palmer-Taylor Power Station - inside the train station beside the power station.
- Dutch London Street - behind the dumpster in the residential block.
- Police Station - in the back corner behind the wall of the Sheriff's office, next to the towing lot.
- Redwood Lights Track - on the tank in the construction site (near the letter scrap).
- Sandy Shores - behind the Medical Center, in a corner beside the generator gate.
- Tongva Hills - on the deck of the Marlowe Vineyards restaurant.
- South Vespucci Beach - at end of the pier walkway.
- Vespucci Police Station, Vespucci Canals - on the garage rooftop patio.
- North Vinewood Hills - at top of the storage tank (climb the ladder).
- Textile City - inside the Mission Row Police Station.
- In the Grand Theft Auto IV beta, Body Armor would be physically represented on one's character model if equipped. As with the fingerless gloves that were also 'cut', this wearable armor still exists in the retail version and can be equipped via a trainer, though without any effect unless the ingame armor is equipped as well. However, body armour is now able to be physically shown on characters in Grand Theft Auto Online.
- In GTA V, the armor depicted on the ground when picking it up does not match it's armor value. Say, the armor pick-up on the ground is a weak 500$ body armor bought at Ammu-Nation, even though it gives the armor value of a 2500$ body armor bought at Ammu-Nation.