|Appearance(s):||The Lost and Damned|
Grand Theft Auto V
|Ammunition capacity:||8 shells (TLAD & GTA V)|
(32 shells w/ Extended Clip in GTA V)
|Available from:||Bought from Terry Thorpe|
|Unlocked After:||Heavy Toll (TLAD)|
Blitz Play (GTA V)
- "This fully automatic shotgun is extremely powerful and fires off shells constantly. This weapon is very effective at taking out multiple targets at once and can take down vehicles quickly."
- ―Rockstar Games description.
The Assault Shotgun is a weapon modeled after the Striker, a shotgun manufactured by Armsel. It is the fourth shotgun featured in the Grand Theft Auto IV trilogy, after the Pump Action Shotgun and the Combat Shotgun, and the second introduced in The Lost and Damned, appearing alongside the Sawed off Shotgun.It is distinguished from other shotguns of its class because has fully automatic capabilities. The Assault Shotgun boasts high firepower, allowing it to deal with crowds of enemies, vehicles and even low flying helicopters with ease. It is extremely effective in short range, but its usefulness diminishes over distance. It holds eight shells in each drum, and the player can hold a total of 250 shells.
The Assault is first introduced in the storyline mission "Heavy Toll", where Johnny Klebitz is given one to stop a drug convoy. Later on, he wields one during the events of "Shifting Weight", using it to fight off the pursuing LCPD while escaping with Malc. It can be purchased from Terry's gun van after Heavy Toll, and spawns at the player's safehouse after completing 40 gang wars.
Grand Theft Auto V
The Assault shotgun returns from GTA IV:TLAD now with a new design based off the AA-12 and the UTAS UTS-15 and the stock is from a FN SCAR-H.
Customizations (GTA V)
- Grip (more stability, increases accuracy) - $375
- Flashlight (additional light) - $562
- Suppressor (Silences but slightly reduces damage and range) - $2247
- Default Clip (8 rounds) - Equipped by default
- Rounds (16 rounds) - $8
- Extended Clip (32 rounds) - $347
- Black (default) - Equipped by default
- Army Tint (Desert sand)
- Green Tint
- Orange Tint
- LSPD Tint(metallic blue)
- Pink Tint- Level 50
- Gold Tint- Level 75
- Platinum Tint- Level 100
Like any other shotgun, the spread of pellets make it ineffective at medium and long range. However since a single shot causes massive damage at close range, damage per second are extremely high at point blank.
The high chances of hitting a target at each shot, paired with the rate of fire, make it an ideal weapon for blind-fire (shooting from a cover without exposing himself).
The weapon's basic capacity of 8 is very small for an automatic weapon, thus a clip is quickly empty. However in GTA V, the extended clip greatly increases (+300%) the capacity. This makes capacity no longer an issue, since a full clip can last roughly 7 seconds in full-automatic fire. The extended clip also causes much more ammo losses upon death (all that's left in the clip), but this issue is minor since shotgun ammo are inexpensive (1.5$ per round in GTA Online) and extended capacity is still moderated when compared to other weapons.
Overall this weapon is a shotgun with the usual drawback of a very limited range, but has supreme firepower at close range. It should be paired with an assault rifle or other long-ranged weapons and used as a backup weapon if the enemy comes close.
- Can be bought from Ammu-Nation for $1,500.
- Also, if you point a gun just before entering Ammu-Nation the clerk will pull out the Assault Shotgun and call be killed. NOTE: The clerk must fire at least 1 round before killing him or it will appear as a static prop.
- Chiliad Mountain State Wilderness, Altruist Cult Camp - Inside the church porch.
- Unlocked at Level 37 in GTA Online and can be bought from Ammu-nation.
- Clay will equip the Assault Shotgun when he becomes hardened enough.
- The Striker is depicted in-game with a full automatic firing rate, although it is produced with a semi-auto firing rate in real life.
- The Striker is also a gun in Max Payne 2, another game made by Rockstar.
- If the player blind-fires with the Assault Shotgun in The Lost and Damned, he will be seen "pumping" the weapon after every shot is fired, even if there is no pump on the shotgun. This glitch applies to all shotguns, and limits the blindfiring speed to the Pump Action Shotgun. It has been fixed however in GTA V.
- Strangely, the Assault Shotgun in GTA IV has two reload animations. When Johnny is standing while reloading, he will pull the charging handle, but when crouching while reloading, he takes "out" the magazine, puts "another" in and pulls the charging handle. There is no confirmed reason for why there are two reload animations, but it is speculated that it is for balancing reasons, as the player is much more effective while crouched. This oddity is also present on the AK-47 and the M4.
- Interestingly, the Assault Shotgun uses a different animation than the AK-47 and M4 which creates a high recoil when firing, while the AK and the M4 don't have any recoil. It is possible that Rockstar reused the carbine rifle animation to create the animation for the Assault Shotgun.