|This article needs more images of:|
Needs a new main picture from enhanced version
You can help by adding some relevant images or discussing changes on the talk page.
Varrios Los Aztecas
Group of Aztecas gang members in Northern Rancho
|Games:||Grand Theft Auto V|
Grand Theft Auto Online
|Leader:||Ortega (Blaine County Set)|
|Type:||Mexican street gang|
The Lost MC
Trevor Philips (formerly)
Declasse Rancher XL
The Varrios Los Aztecas, also known as VLA or simply Aztecas, are a relatively small Mexican street gang featured in Grand Theft Auto V. They have links to the cartels and are currently at a war with rival Salvadorian gang Marabunta Grande over the drug trade, drug trafficking, supply routes, and weapons smuggling in the Senora Desert region and parts of Los Santos. Weazel News also reported that there was a recent shootout between the two gangs in the Grand Senora Desert. The Aztecas have also been known to be heavily involved in arms dealing.
Events of Grand Theft Auto V
In the storyline, the VLA are at war with Trevor Philips Enterprises over the weapons trade in Blaine County. After Trevor destroy's Ortega's drug trailer, the VLA decide to take him down. Several VLA members attack the Sandy Shores meth lab, but end up defeated.
The Aztecas also appears in Trevor's arms smuggling side mission, during the air missions, they appear in just one mission, where they are reunited in four different groups across Blaine County and need to be destroyed by Trevor, using bombs dropped by a plane. During the land missions, they appear again in just one mission where they try to pick a arms package before Trevor.
Varrios Los Aztecas members can be found in their territory behind Central Los Santos Hospital around Northern Rancho. Many Aztecas drive vehicles and members are seen standing on the sidewalks in groups of 3-5. Sometimes, Aztecas will rarely spawn and be replaced by Los Santos Vagos. To prevent this, try approaching Rancho from the north instead of the south.
Aztecas can be easily identified by their light teal/turquoise coloured cholo-style clothing. Their weapons of choice include Pistols, Micro-SMGs, SMGs, and knives. They do not sport face tattoos unlike their rivals, the Marabunta Grande. They seem to like checkered shirts.
- In GTA San Andreas, the Varrios Los Aztecas were known to be Anti-Narcotic, however in GTA V they are very heavily involved in drug trafficking.
- They appear to share Rancho with the more dominate Vagos. Similar to how Alderney City was shared with the Korean Mob and Spanish Lords in GTA IV. But occasionally the Aztecas spawn in Rancho.
- The Aztecas were allies of the protagonist in GTA SA. In GTA V, the Aztecas are now enemies.
- It is likely that the Aztecas are based on Barrio 18 (18th Street gang) as their rivals, the Marabunta Grande, are based on Mara Salvatrucha (MS13). However they could also be based on Varrio Nuevo Estrada given their name.
- Unlike the Vagos and the Marabunta Grande, the Aztecas have some older members that appear to be in their 50's or 60's. This indicates the possibility that the Aztecas are a multi-generational gang that have been around for a while. This is not uncommon in Los Angeles, as there are Mexican street gangs such as White Fence and Clanton 14 that have been around since the 1940's.
- They are first mentioned in GTA V in a internet news article from The Senora Beacon after the mission The Long Stretch, the article mentions they using the Alamo Sea as their base of operations and the fact that they were forced to leave Los Santos because of its war with the Vagos.
- Various VLA members re-use models and quotes from Vagos; therefore, they may yell "LSV" (short for Los Santos Vagos) during combat.
- In the mission Trevor Philips Industries, the Aztecas' main vehicle is the Phoenix. After completing the mission, the player can steal either the white one opposite of the ice box, or the black one at the gas station. If the player has done the mission for the first time, then they can take it to their garage and keep it, but if they are replaying the mission, entering the Phoenix should make it spawn on the highway that leads to Sandy Shores. It should be noted that during the mission, the player can't enter any of the Phoenixes, but after the mission is passed, the player is able to enter it.