Basketball is a sport in the Grand Theft Auto series, most prominently available as an interactive game in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. It was going to be in Grand Theft Auto V, but was cut before release.
While many basketball courts can be seen through the series, only Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas allows the player to actually play basketball. The player can score points by shooting the ball into a basketball hoop — the farther the distance, the more points the player gets — but has little to benefit from it other than having bragging rights. The player can also do tricks like spinning the ball with CJ's finger, or executing slam dunks by moving closer towards the hoop.
Although the player can't play with others and can only play with him/herself in GTA San Andreas, they can activate a mini-challenge to attain the most number of scores within an allocated time. The ability to play basketball is unlocked after completing the mission "Tagging Up Turf", when basketballs may appear in basketball courts. In the original PS2 version, it is available from the beginning.
This is a list of locations of basketball courts.
GTA Vice City
GTA San Andreas
- Ganton, Los Santos - At Sweet Johnson's House
- Behind the barber shop in Playa Del Seville
- East Los Santos, Los Santos
- In the private gym at Madd Dogg's Crib, once you have access to it.
- In front of several houses in Las Venturas
- East of The Camel's Toe
- Yorktown Avenue, Steinway, Dukes
- Between Dukes Boulevard and Inchon Avenue, Cerveza Heights, Dukes
- Between Pancho Street and Carson Street in Beechwood City, Broker
- At the intersection of Onondaga Avenue and Cody Street, Firefly Projects, Broker
- Off Franklin Street in Steinway Park, Steinway, Dukes
- There is two on the north side of Morris Street underneeth the closed subway station in Steinway, Dukes
- Caterpillar Street, Northern Gardens, Bohan
- A couple between Butterfly Street and Uprock Street in Boulevard, Bohan
- Spin Street, Chase Point
- Two oppisite the Burger Shot on San Quentin Avenue at the South Bohan Projects, Fortside, Bohan
- Behind some housing projects north of Frankfort Avenue, Northwood, Algonquin
- There's two courts at the corner of Exeter Ave and Wardite Street, Northwood, Algonquin (also known as the Rubin Swinger Basketball Courts)
- Next to the Burger Shot, Golden Pier, Westminster, Algonquin
- Two courts by the Governor Greg R. Smith Houses, Presidents City, Algonquin
- At the Corner of Barsac Avenue and Latchkey Avenue, Tudor, Alderney
- Acter Park, Acter, Alderney
- One just off Hardtrack Avenue, next to the Tudor Fire Station, in western Tudor, Alderney