| MISSION |
|Game:||Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas|
|Location:||Verdant Meadows, Bone County|
|Conditions of mission failure:|
Not entering the compound by 06:00
Misappropriation (if Intensive Care has been completed)
- "Take him out! That's a $60,000,000 project!"
- — Military personnel, after Carl Johnson steals the jetpack.
Black Project is a mission in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas given to protagonist Carl Johnson by The Truth from Verdant Meadows, Bone County, San Andreas. It can be only triggered between 20:00 and 05:00.
Note: If Carl is overweight when attempting to start this mission, The Truth will call him a "fatass", and tells him to lose some weight beforehand, presumably to make it easier for the jetpack to lift him.
Carl arrives at the airfield and is welcomed by The Truth, exercising on the top of an aircraft wreck. Truth then berates Carl for having agreed to work for a government agent. He then tells Carl about a secret military research area, where he believes a "black project" is being developed. Truth drops Carl off at the boundaries of the base before leaving the area.
Carl must sneak into the underground area, by using the control tower to open the blast doors and get inside. However, the area is well protected with several soldiers patrolling the area, as well as spotlights. If Carl is spotted by a spotlight, the blast doors will be isolated from the main system, which forces Carl to use a vent to get inside.
Once inside, the alarm goes off, and Carl is forced to kill every soldier on his way to the project. Upon arriving in a lab, a scientist gives Carl his keycard, which he uses to gain access to the launch bay, where the project, which turns out to be a Jetpack, is lying at the bottom. Carl steals it and fly towards Arco del Oeste, where Truth is waiting in his van. Truth takes it, then leaves the area, while Carl complains about Truth refusing to drive him back to the airfield.
- Neither the thermal glasses nor the sniper rifle are necessary for completing the mission, despite on-screen messages. A silenced pistol at ground level is just as effective in maintaining stealth.
In order to complete the mission the player must:
- The easiest way into the Area 69 bunker complex is through the blast doors. To open these go to the control room
- The control tower has been disabled you must now find another way in. There is a vent that goes into the Area 69 interior. Damage the vent grate and drop in to gain entry
- Go and find the Black Project
- The door to the launch bay where the black project is being stored is locked. Find a keycard to access it
- Collect the keycard and open the door to the Black Project
- The Black Project is located at the bottom of the launch bay
- You've found what The Truth wanted. You must escape using the Jet pack to fly out of the launch bay directly above you
- Deliver the jetpack to a drop off point deep in the canyons
- When inside the Area 69 research area, various announcements tell the employees a variety of things including (but not limited to): "downloading pornography is strictly prohibited", "anyone caught stealing alien technology will not be invited to the next staff night out", and that "running with scissors is dangerous and not permitted". These announcements continue even after security notifies everyone of the breach.
- The reference to "General Mills" is likely refers to a well-known food manufacturing company in the US.
- The scientist in the base all have German/European accents.
- When navigating through the hallways near the scientist who gives you the keycard, you can spot a crowbar on a table in a lab. This is more likely than not a reference to Valve's 1998 FPS Half-Life, where you play a scientist escaping an alien-filled underground lab, with a crowbar as his melee weapon of choice.
- Like the Alderney State Correctional Facility during Get Lost in TLAD, Area 69 has a speaker phone voicing commands and other chit chat to scientists alike that is only present during this mission.
- The ability of removing the jetpack once equipped is disabled during the mission. This is also the case in the next mission Green Goo.
There is no money reward for this mission. A few minutes after completing the mission, The Truth will call Carl, which unlocks the mission Green Goo. The Desert Eagle is now available to buy from the Ammu-Nation ($1,200).
Steal The Mothership
- Main article: Black Project/Steal The Mothership