|Appearance(s):||Grand Theft Auto IV|
The Lost and Damned
|Full name:||Bryce Dawkins|
|Home:||Owl Creek Avenue, Westdyke, Alderney|
|Main affiliation:||Julio Ochoa|
|Vehicle(s):||Orange Infernus (before giving it to Niko) |
Bronze Turismo (stolen)
Bryce Dawkins is the Deputy Mayor of Liberty City in Grand Theft Auto IV. He is frequently mentioned in the game and contributes to the plot, but is not seen in person (although billboards feature his face and look-alike pedestrians can be spotted).
Dawkins is a right-wing politician infamous for anti-gay legislation and family values views. He is often criticized for homophobic comments that he makes; one of which suggested a link between homosexuality and terrorism, which he later apologized for saying "Some of my best friends are gay, I just don't want to know about it". Dawkins also endorsed the misogynistic children's toy Gender Role Doll, saying it is a very important tool for suppressing homosexual feelings and supporting family values.
He lives with his wife and children in a Westdyke, Alderney mansion (strange as he is a politician of a different state). He also owns a Tropic, Infernus (later given to Niko Bellic) and Turismo (stolen by Niko on orders of Stevie), suggesting he was a wealthy stockbroker prior to his political career.
Gay Sex Scandal
In reality he is a closeted homosexual in a relationship with Bernie Crane, who he first met at a foam party at the Tony Prince-owned gay club Hercules while Bernie was high on ectasy. Bryce is blackmailed at least twice: once by Russian mobster Dimitri Rascalov for control of certain unions, and again by Thomas Stubbs III for an unspecified legislative goal. Bernie recruits the help of his old army friend Niko Bellic to threaten Dimitri away, who was coincidentally a prior mortal enemy of Niko's. After the threat is removed, Bernie rewards Niko with an Infernus, originally a gift from Bryce to Bernie.
At the end of the game, Dawkins' affair is leaked to the public by Thomas Stubbs III (who obtained information and proof of Bryce's escapades through a bug that he had paid Johnny Klebitz to put in Bryce's Infernus). Despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary, Bryce insists he is not gay and his gifts to Bernie were only out of charity and platonic friendship. He does, however, admit to personal failures and enters a rehab clinic which is strongly rumored to treat sexual addictions. Although it is not made clear, the possibility is presented that Bryce may have had other boyfriends.
Dawkins is a parody of Bruce Barclay who was involved in a gay sex scandal, at least 15 of which are listed here. The most recent incedents at the time the game was developed involved Bob Allen, Larry Craig and Richard Curtis among others. Dawkins may be a member of the ultra-conservative Constitution Party, the largest third-party in the United States, which supports family values, and strongly decry homosexuality.
- Although he is the Deputy Mayor of Liberty City, he lives on Owl Creek Avenue in Westdyke, Alderney - a completely different state, as revealed in The Lost and Damned, when his Infernus is stolen by Johnny Klebitz to have the car bugged on orders from Congressman Tom Stubbs III.
- A popular fan theory is that there is a link between Bryce Dawkins and Bryce Montrose, a character in Rockstar Vancouver's game Bully.
- Despite him being deputy mayor he still uses sites like Love-Meet.net. He uses the name Troy Harder or could be another person with the same character model.
- When questioned about his sexuality on Weazel News (TLAD), he states "I have sex with my wife all the time! She loves it in the fartbox". His wife is on later, stating "I wish he would put it somewhere else", implying he only performs anal sex with his wife.
- It is unknown why Bryce was at the foam party where he met Bernie, because if he was seen, it could have spread more rumors about him being homosexual. However, the party may have occurred before he was Deputy Mayor.
- Despite his Turismo being stolen by Niko as a request from Stevie, Bryce Dawkins does not have any knowledge of his vehicle being stolen.