Calm Before the Storm
|Game:||Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories|
|For:||Joseph Daniel O'Toole|
|Location:||Red Light District, Portland Island, Liberty City|
Triads become violent towards you
|Unlocks:||The Made Man|
- " ...so quei bastardi dei Leone tied down in Portland, and when my associates control this city, you'll be taken care of. Si pensiamo noi."
- — Massimo Torini.
Calm Before the Storm is a mission in Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories given to protagonist Toni Cipriani by Joseph Daniel O'Toole from Paulie's Revue Bar in the Red Light District of Portland Island, Liberty City.
Toni drops by Paulie's Revue Bar, where O'Toole informs him that the Sicilians are trying to broker a peace between the families. However, Salvatore Leone thinks he smells a rat and wants someone to follow Massimo Torini. Toni is required to head to Sal's home within two in-game hours (two real-life minutes) before Torini flies off in a helicopter, so as to be able to follow him and investigate.
Torini first lands in Hepburn Heights, where he meets the Diablos and promises them Hepburn Heights if they help the Sicilians. Torini then flies to Chinatown and meets the Triads on a rooftop, informing them that if they co-operate with the Sicilians they will be "taken care of". The Triads, however, spot Toni. Torini flies off in the helicopter, whilst Toni kills all hostile Triad members in the vicinity in order to return to Salvatore Leone with the information.
In order to complete the mission the player must:
- Reach Salvatore's mansion. Massimo is leaving soon
- Follow Massimo. Don't lose him
- He's moving off...follow him again...
- You'll need to get in closer...
- You've been spotted! Take out the Triads
The reward for completing the mission is $1,000 and the mission The Made Man for Joseph Daniel O'Toole. Triad members will also become hostile to the player thereafter, although the Diablos will not. (This means there are now two groups - the Sindacco Family and the Triads - who will attack Toni on sight, making navigating the streets - and collecting hidden packages, completing side missions, etc - more hazardous.)
- This mission marks the first time in the GTA series that the main antagonist is introduced in a mission other than the first mission or opening cutscene. This is followed by the mission Crime and Punishment in Grand Theft Auto IV.
- Massimo Torini has more script lines in this mission than in The Sicilian Gambit.
- This mission reveals creation of the Triads and Diablos. Showing their rivarly Torini sent a fake message to Salvatore, this shows the future of GTA III events.
- If you want you can take the Diablo Stallion and store into your safehouse, since it's a rare car, and almost never appears on the streets of Liberty City.