Cleaning Out The Bureau
|Game:||Grand Theft Auto V|
|Location:||Darnell Bros., La Mesa|
|Conditions of mission failure:||Wasted|
target is spooked
|Protagonist(s):||Michael De Santa|
|Unlocks:||Reuniting the Family (if The Ballad of Rocco has been completed)|
|Unlocked by:||Fresh Meat|
Michael arrives at Darnell Bros. where he meets Lester. Soon, the two are joined by FIB agents Dave Norton and Steve Haines. Haines explains that evidence regarding his illegal activity is starting to surface; he needs Michael to destroy that evidence, but the only way to do so is by breaking into FIB Headquarters. Haines states that if Michael does this large favor, Haines will delete Michael's files. Michael tells Haines that this is the last job Michael will perform. Haines blithely agrees and he and Norton leave.
Michael and Lester drive to FIB Headquarters. On the way, Lester lays out his plan. They will gain entrance to the building by assuming the identity of one of the building's janitors. Lester even has the man picked out, one Harvey Molina. Michael and Lester arrive at the entrance to the Headquarters' garage. When Molina exits, the two tail him to his apartment on Las Lagunas Boulevard in West Vinewood. Michael follows Molina into his apartment, and there asks to purchase Molina's work clothes and ID. Molina readily agrees and Michael takes the stuff and leaves.
Michael and Lester return to Darnell Bros. where Franklin is waiting. In addition to the stuff Michael took from Molina, Lester also needs a physical copy of the architectural plans for FIB Headquarters. These are in the possession of Chip Peterson, the building's designer, who has an office in Backlot City. Franklin agrees to tail Peterson to get the plans. Their business, for the moment, concluded, the mission ends.
- Go to the FIB Headquarters.
- Wait for the janitor to come out.
- Follow the janitor.
- Go to the janitor's apartment.
- Go back to Michael's car.
- Go back to the clothing factory.
- Go to the office.
Gold Medal Objectives
- Eagle Eye - Check all license plates.
- He Missed a Spot - Follow the janitor without being spotted.
- Time - Complete within 09:00.
- Amanda De Santa - "Just let me know you're ok?"
- Tracey De Santa - "Hi Dad. Hope you're staying out of trouble and not just eating junk food. Things are going great for me, looks like that TV thing might work out after all. Take care of yourself PLEASE!!!"
- Jimmy De Santa - "This bouncing from crib to crib sleeping on couches blows dick. I was thinking maybe you could rent an apartment for me and then you could even crash there sometimes when you got really lonely (you'd have to call ahead of course)?"
- While waiting for the janitor to leave, one of Lester's comments, "This is not the car we're looking for," may be a reference to the famous line from Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope.
- If Michael honks his horn while tailing the janitor, Lester would comment about honking the horn as it might bring the attention of the janitor, although this will not fail the mission.
- Some time after this mission, Franklin will send Michael a text message saying that he found something about the architect, and if the player switches to Franklin after receiving this message, they will immediately start the mission Architect's Plans. Note that this follow-up mission may not start for a while so the player may need to have the characters wander around a bit before Franklin makes the call. Even if the player immediately switches to Franklin after the "Cleaning out the Bureau" ends (in time to hear Franklin gripe about his assignment), nothing will immediately happen. As such, it's possible to trigger other missions (like "Reuniting the Family") before "Architect's Plans" begins.
- When Michael gets into his car after taking Molina's ID & clothes, the song playing on the radio will be from Space 103.2.
- The name of the mission comes from the fact that you are following the janitor.
- As this mission leads inevitably to the start of the heist preparation, it's advisable that, if you want to include Packie McReary or Taliana Martinez in your crew, their Random Events should be completed before triggering "Cleaning out the Bureau". Note that even though he is on the outs with Michael at this point in the game, Trevor can be used to complete either encounter. If "Architect's Plans" does not trigger immediately after completing "Cleaning Out the Bureau", this can still be accomplished by switching to Trevor and staying on Trevor until Packie and/or Taliana are obtained.