|This article needs more images of:|
You can help by adding some relevant images or discussing changes on the talk page.
|This article or section contains insufficient information and is considered as a Stub. You can help GTA Wiki by |
Requiring improvement: Information about the dam in LCS and Advance
- "If you want to create a major hydro-electric power plant, then you need a dam. Liberty City has one of its own and it's named after someone famous called Mr. Cochrane."
- — GTA III Website.
The Cochrane Dam is a large hydro-electric power plant located in the Northwest corner of Shoreside Vale in the 3D Universe version of Liberty City. The Cochrane Dam appears in three games; Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto Advance, and Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories.
The dam is one of Shoreside Vale's most recognizable landmarks. A road runs along the top of the dam, linking the two halves of Shoreside Vale, two intake towers are connected to the top of the dam via walkways, and the lower section of the dam includes the generator building and several shipping containers. The lower section is accessible via a one-land track. An M-16 spawns at the dam's helipad. A Shotgun spawns somewhere near the generator building.
In Grand Theft Auto III, the dam features prominently in the final story mission, The Exchange, in which the protagonist, Claude, kills dozens of Colombian Cartel, well armed gang members, and their leader Catalina in a showdown on the lower level of the dam.
Although Liberty City is based on the real-life New York City, there is no large hydroelectric dam to New York. The nearest hydroelectric dam to New York is the Niagra Falls Power Plant, but the Cochrane Dam is larger and shares little resemblance to it. The Cochrane Dam shares structural similarities with the Hoover Dam on the Nevada/Arizona border, most notably the twin intake towers. The lower and mid levels of the Cochrane Dam resemble the Itaipu Dam on the Paraná River in South America, located on the border between Brazil and Paraguay.
- The roadway across the top of the dam, despite having heavy traffic, is rendered more like a pathway than a standard road, and vehicles often have to swerve to avoid pedestrians strolling along the same route.
- The dam was named after Adam Cochrane, who worked as a 3D artist during the production of Grand Theft Auto III.
- The dam was smaller in the beta version of GTA III.
- It's possible to drive up the walls of the dam, but only with a fast car like the Stinger.