Alex Shrub in GTA Vice City
|Appearance(s):||Grand Theft Auto: Vice City|
|Full name:||Alex Shrub|
|Also known as:||Martha|
|Family:||Laura Shrub (wife)|
|Main affiliation:||Candy Suxxx|
Right Wing Politician
|Voiced by:||Christopher Lucas|
- "He has a great haircut and says things that make you nod your head"
- ―Maurice Chavez
Alex Shrub is a right wing politician who became the youngest state congressman in Vice City history.
Shrub is a delusional congressman who knowingly tries to cover up and distract people from the fact that Vice City is going downhill under his term. He cares only about money and has allowed businesses to do as they please, such as legalization of Giggle Cream, a hazardous dessert which has killed 23 people.
Events of GTA Vice City
According to KentPaul.com Shrub was elected to Congress in 1980. According to statements Shrub made on Pressing Issues, legislation he supported "ensured important tax breaks for gun dealers, real estate developers" and "cut the cost of policing, saving the city 2%, or 25 cents per household, over a 6 year period".
Late into the game, Shrub seeks to ban the legal distribution of pornography in Vice City in order to gain favor with the puritan voters of the city. Tommy Vercetti, having just purchased a porn movie making film studio, sketches up a plan to stop this. He sends Shrub's favorite prostitute, Candy Suxxx, to his condo and then proceeds to take pictures of him and Suxxx engaged in cross-dressing. It is implied that Tommy and his film studio director, Steve Scott, later use these pictures to blackmail Shrub into working with the Vercetti Gang.
VCPD Crime Tree Record
Extreme Right Wing congressman. Known philanderer. Will do anything for votes.
- Extreme Right Wing congressman.
- Known philanderer.
- Will do anything for votes.
- Power obsessed. Usual politician.
- Expected to go very far.
- GTA Vice City
- There is a common (but unofficial) perception that Alex Shrub is a caricature of former U.S. president George H. W. Bush and Florida governor Jeb Bush. In addition to their political learning and similar last names, bush and shrub are both kinds of plants, Congressman Shrub's voice is also very similar to that of George H.W. Bush. "Shrub" is also in use as a nickname For U.S. president George W. Bush popularized by Texas columnist Molly Ivins. As if that's not enough, Alex Shrub is a Congressman looking to be President. While George Bush Jr. was one of the youngest Texas governor who then became President while Jeb is one of the youngest Florida Gov. who may also have plans to become President. Like George W. Bush Jr., his wife's name is Laura.
- In addition, many of Shrub's political positions appear to be exaggerations or parodies of stereotypically "right wing" positions, such as his claim on VCPR that poor people deserved to be stupid. Conversely his depiction as a young and attractive philanderer is a reference to liberal Democrat and former U.S. president John F. Kennedy and Republicans such as Newt Gingrich.
- There is an Easter egg in GTA Chinatown Wars, where Huang Lee receives an email from "A. Shrub", talking about politics. The storylines of GTA Vice City and Chinatown Wars are not canon with each other.
- Shrub's ""ensured important tax breaks for gun dealers, real estate developers" and "cut the cost of policing, saving the city 2%, or 25 cents per household, over a 6 year period" position is an obvious pun on Conservatives, especially Republican economic position of "Trickle Down Economics". This was especially popular and propagated under Ronald Regan during the '80's.