| MISSION |
Crime and Punishment
|Game:||Grand Theft Auto IV|
|Location:||Perestroika, Hove Beach, Broker|
|• Find a cop car|
• Find and pull over the vans
|Conditions of mission failure:|
|Unlocks:||Do You Have Protection?|
|Unlocked by:||Uncle Vlad|
Roman is scared because Niko killed Vlad, and tells Niko during a frantic phone call to meet him on Tulsa Street. Niko arrives to find Roman hiding inside a dumpster, who tells him that they are being followed because Niko killed Vlad. Niko dismisses Roman and says that all they care about is making money. A man appears from behind Niko and knocks him out with the butt end of an AK-47, while ordering Roman out of the dumpster.
When Niko regains consciousness, he wakes up tied to a chair in the basement of Mikhail Faustin's house. He sees Dimitri Rascalov with the man who knocked him out. He is smacked by Dimitri and told to wake up. Roman is tied up and gagged because he wouldn't stop screaming. Dimitri says that Andrei shouldn't have brought them here.
Niko is being interrogated by Andrei, asking him who he works for. He says for his cousin, Roman. However, Andrei says that isn't good enough and resorts to threatening to cutting off his arm with a tiny hacksaw if he doesn't speak. Niko gives a smart ass remark, to which Andrei responds by hitting him in the temple with the tip of the saw and slapping him with it for laughing.
Soon, Faustin enters the basement with a pistol, angrily telling them to "Shut the fuck up" because of the noise and that his wife is watching television. He asks what Andrei is doing. Andrei hesitantly says that he's finding out who he is. Faustin asks who he is and he responds that he's Roman's cousin. Faustin isn't happy with such little information yet so much noise. He asks Dimitri where he found him, and he states that he was a friend of his sergeant in Vladivostok. Faustin calls him an imbecile. He seems to not care about Vlad’s death and agrees with Niko that he was a nobody.
He then shoots Andrei in the head for apparently looking at him disrespectfully, but spares Niko on the condition that he starts working for him. Niko’s first task is to steal a van full of televisions so he can make a sale. Once the gag is removed, Roman starts screaming for help so Mikhail shoots him in the stomach to quiet him down. Dimitri unites Niko and tells him to steal a police car.
Niko finds a police car and calls Dimitri. Dimitri informs Niko that the van is driving around South Broker but doesn't know where exactly it is. Niko is forced to pull over random vans and ask the driver if they have any TVs. The target van is randomized so you can never be sure which one of the three is. The vans will keep moving in a clockwise cycle pattern around their area. Niko finally finds one that does. Niko then steals the van and drives it to the lockup on Dukes Drive in East Island City. Roman calls Niko to tell him that he is stitched up and asks Niko if he could pick up some adult diapers.
In order to complete the mission, the player must:
- Find a cop car.
- Find and pull over the vans before they reach their destinations.
- Stay close to the van to make it pull over.
- Park up and approach the driver's window.
- Steal the van.
- Drive to the lockup.
After the Mission
- The flatscreens in the back of the vans are manufactured by Schmidt & Priss.
- The mission's name is a clear reference to Russian author Fyodor Dostoyevsky's novel Crime and Punishment.
- The driver of the van with the TV's may say "You're making a mistake. We're paying protection money to Kenny Petrovic."
- This is the first appearance of Dimitri Rascalov and Mikhail Faustin.
- Although Roman is the one that gives you the mission, Dimitri Rascalov gives you the instructions.
- This is the second mission in the series to introduce the main antagonist in a mission that is not the first mission, the first being Calm Before the Storm in Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories.
- If the player parks the van with the TVs in a parking space and reloads the game, the TVs will disappear.
- If you pull out the target van (two people in it) and shoot at the driver and the passenger before going close to the window, you'll fail the mission, claiming the van wasn't checked up.