- "The Crusader is a military-grade SUV popular with US armed forces in the Middle East and lesbians in the Pacific North West. Perfect for navigating hostile terrain like bombed-out villages and vegan craft fairs. Its four-cylinder diesel engine comes nowhere near to meeting US emission standards, but we're guessing that carbon footprint isn't top of your priority list."
- ―Warstock Cache & Carry webpage.
The SUV resembles a 2007–2009 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon for the sides and rear, with the front fascia being inspired by the UAZ 469. It may also be based on the Jeep J8, a military variant of the Jeep Wrangler.
In-game, it shares the design with the regular civilian Mesa, but with flat bumpers (as opposed to rounded bumpers seen on the Mesa) and two small step-bars at the sides, in the cargo compartment. The Crusader always has a desert camouflage along with a military star printed on the sides, similar to the stars on Willys Jeeps during World War 2.
GTA V Edit
The Crusader is powered by a naturally-aspirated 4-cylinder diesel engine. Because of this, acceleration and top speed are unremarkable, but it makes up for this with better handling. However, over-steer may become a problem, especially at high speeds. Its high center of gravity may make it prone to tipping over on uneven terrain. It is not capable of very much besides surviving excessive gunfire and multiple crashes before stalling or catching fire. It is somewhat slower than the regular Mesa, but makes up for this because of its improved durability.
GTA V Overview Edit
(0 - 60mph / 0 - 100km/h)
(mph / kph)
(Capacity + Layout + Fuel)
AWD / FWD / RWD
Number + Type
(Kg / lb)
|n/a||130 / 209 (handlind.dat)||
2400 / 5291
F4 Inline 4
Mass cannot be observed.
GTA V Edit
- Spawns during and can be obtained after completion of Trevor's fourth rampage, providing that the player leaves one un-destroyed during the mission. A topless Crusader can also be obtained in this mission.
- Found at Fort Zancudo.
- It can also be found driving outside Fort Zancudo if the player first approaches the fort before turning back to the highway.
- Once inside, Crusaders will pursue the player, with either two or three men inside.
- Will spawn in the hangar of any protagonist that bought it from Warstock Cache & Carry.
GTA Online Edit
- Can be bought for $225,000 from Warstock Cache & Carry.
- Spawns in Fort Zancudo, and around its outskirts.
- There is a bug that prevents the Crusader from appearing in the player's hangar after purchasing it from Warstock Cache & Carry. If the character owns any aircraft, the Crusader will not appear in the vehicle roster, however, this has been patched, now the player can buy it and pick it up at the hangar normally.
- The Crusader is the second military SUV in the whole Grand Theft Auto series. The first is the Patriot, but only the 3D Universe model that is based upon the HMMWV and Hummer H1, as the HD Universe rendition (similar to the Hummer H2) does not have a military variant. In real life, Willys Jeeps are no longer used in combat, being replaced by the HMMWV, the real world equivalent of the Patriot.
- In the beta version of the game, the Crusader was the only vehicle in the Cargo Plane in the mission Minor Turbulence (as it was seen in the second trailer), but was replaced with a Merryweather Mesa.
- Due to the Crusader being classified as a Government/Emergency vehicle, it can't be modified at Los Santos Customs.
- The Crusader's headlights seem to be more vulnerable to being broken than the civilian Mesa's. This is due to the flat bumpers, which are less protective than the rounded bumper on the civilian Mesas.
- Its engine noise is different from its civilian version, sounding similar to the Cavalcade and the Sandking.
- This vehicle is delivered by Pegasus Lifestyle Management if bought from Warstock Cache & Carry.
- The topless variant is available by purchasing it from Warstock Cache & Carry, it can vary from roofed and topless.
- Strangely, the Crusader can only be selected in a online race as a "SUV" instead of a off-road vehicle, despite the fact that it's highly recommended for off-roading, it doesn't appear in the off-road list, while the normal Mesa does.
- Unlike the Barracks and the Barracks Semi, features a mark on the cargo compartment that says "Los Santos National Forces". However, like the mentioned trucks, the marks are mirrored in the right side.
- Is seems that in some outer lines (such the cargo compartment) features a white line that indicates the vehicle's real color. If purchased, it will appear in a red color.