(Rear quarter view)
|Vehicle type||Civilian car|
|Body style||4-door hatchback|
|Capacity||4 (driver and 3 passengers)|
|Appearance(s)||Grand Theft Auto IV|
Grand Theft Auto V
|Manufacturer||Karin (HD Universe)|
|Related vehicle(s)||Security Car|
- "Chicks love electric gadgets."
- ―GTA IV Website
The Dilettante is a compact four-door liftback that is based on a 2003-2009 Toyota Prius, with headlights from a Citroën C4, and a body shape that is more similar to the Honda Insight, with its lower roofline over the rear seat area. The taillights are very similar to that of the Buick Rendezvous. The Vehicle itself has a large windscreen which is at a similar angle as the hood. The styling is very uniform, with many straight lines flowing throughout the body of the car, uninterrupted. However, the flared wheel arches are very exaggerated which give the car depth. According to advertisements in the game, a new Dilettante starts at $39,999.
The Dilettante has received no visual changes, and as a result, looks exactly the same as the one in GTA IV. In fact, the only change was to the transmission (automatic to CVT).
The Dilettante is powered by an electric motor at very low speeds, and an internal combustion engine for most of the time. Despite having two sources of power, the Dilettante accelerates very slowly, regardless of transmission. That means if it has the 5-speed automatic in GTA IV or the CVT in GTA V, it accelerates slowly and has a top speed which is among the lowest in the game. The Dilettante, due to the dreadful turning radius, understeers at moderate-to-high speeds. The suspension is fairly soft, thus allowing the car to bounce around on rough roads. The engine in GTA V is noticeably quieter than that found in GTA IV, most likely due to the CVT. Also in GTA V, the
However, the absolute worst aspect of the Dilettante is the weak bodywork. Even low speed crashes can result in almost unrealistic body deformation. It is also severely affected by bullets. In GTA V, despite the car's bodywork retaining its vulnerable nature, it is noticeably more rigid than in GTA IV.
- In GTA V, Merryweather Security personnel drive Dilettantes with unique white paint jobs and the word Security painted on the sides. This variant cannot be modified at a Los Santos Customs shop, for the only option available is to repair the vehicle.
- The word dilettante means a dabbler in fine arts, or a connoisseur. It can also mean amateurish or superficial, the latter meaning playing into the stereotype of hybrid owners as caring more about being perceived as eco-friendly than actually trying to help the environment (as is suggested in the advertisement for the car).
- Unlike other vehicles advertised on the radio, the Dilettante is the first advertised vehicle to be made available to the player.
- The two default radio stations in the Dilettante are IF99 - International Funk and K109 The Studio.
- At the end of the Dilettante advertisement on the Rockstar website the car is caved in at the front despite it being "new"
- A green Dilettante identical to the billboard one can occasionally spawn in front of the Leftwood police station in the mission To Live and Die in Alderney.
- On the CNT TV station the Dilettante is advertised in a commercial after I'm Rich.
- The Dilettante in GTA V, is an electric car, until you rev it up to the max, and its combustion engine turns on.
- In GTA V, there is a Merryweather variant of the Dilettante that can appear around Los Santos. In multiplayer, it cannot be insured, or stored in the player's garage. It can only be repaired, and the only modifications for it are explosives. It can be sold to Los Santos Customs for up to $2,500.
- In GTA V, the Dilettante can go quite fast when in reverse.
- At night, the Merryweather variant can be found in Vinewood Hills.
GTA IV + Episodes from Liberty City
- A uniquely brown Dilettante is requested in Stevie's car requests, located across the road from Big Willis Mall in Willis, Dukes.
- It mostly spawns in Easton and Star Junction , but can spawn anywhere in Liberty City (especially if seen), but is most commonly seen in Algonquin and around Leftwood and Westdyke.
- Commonly spawns at Auto Eroticar in Alderney.
- Can spawn while driving a Patriot around Alderney.
- Lots of them may spawn in Northwood while driving a Super GT at late hours.
- Can be bought for $25,000 from Southernsanandreassuperautos.com.
- The Merryweather Security version can be found patrolling various areas, such as Elysian Island and Vinewood Hills.
- Rarely can be seen driving around Marlowe Vineyards
- Very rarely spawns on the street south of 3671 Whispymound Drive while driving west in the night by a security officer
- Very common when driving an Asterope.