Drone is a "9G" mobile phone operating system that appears in Grand Theft Auto V based on Android. It is featured on all cell phones manufactured by Badger, Whiz Wireless and, strangely, BitterSweet. BitterSweet's drone phone is based upon the Samsung Galaxy SIII or Samsung Galaxy Ace 2.
Its main competitor is iFruit OS which is featured on iFruit phones.
Drone is humorously described as copying the iFruit, similar to the real world accusations of some Android phone makers, such as Samsung, whose phone models are also represented in the game, copying Apple.
Periodically, the player will receive emails from various characters, or even companies promoting new items in stores. For some personal emails, the player can choose to 'reply' to the sender, and a scripted message from the protagonist will be sent, advancing the conversation. Emails from retailers sometimes come with a link that can be opened in the browser.
The text messaging function of the phone allows the player to receive texts from various characters. Viewing a text usually prompts the player to call the sender, often to advance a part of the story.
Allows the player to save the game when not in a safehouse. Quick saving is not available during missions.
Standard contact list used to call or hang out with people. If the player has ignored an incoming phone call, the icon will be replaced by a (!) indicating who to call back to start a mission. Pressing X (Xbox 360) or Square (PS3) while in the list will show the dialer.
Snapmatic Allows the player to take pictures or selfies in free roam which are then uploaded to the Rockstar Social Club. Several missions also require photos to be taken of specific things. It is based on the photo and picture editing app Instagram.
Standard mobile browser allowing the player to navigate the internet, buy vehicles online and manage stocks on the BAWSAQ website.
Allows the player to track another mobile phone with the same application. This app is only available during certain missions and the Submarine Pieces mini-game.
- Franklin Clinton owns a BitterSweet resembling the Samsung Galaxy SIII that runs on Drone.
- Sean Douglas (formerly)
- Franklin's Drone phone has a green case on it, as a reference to green being his signature color (And the signature color of the CGF, his gang). Same as Michael's blue Fruit phone and Trevor's reddish-orange Facade phone.
- There is an advertisement poster for Drone that says, "This is the Drone you've been looking for..." This is a reference to a famous line from Star Wars.
- Franklin's Drone phone is sold as a BitterSweet in GTA V's remastered version. This is strange, since BlackBerry's current touchscreen phones run the company's own OS, BlackBerry 10, and BlackBerry does not currently make Android phones.
- The home screen design of the phone is likely a reference to BlackBerry's "legacy" devices, which run BBOS 7. Also given BlackBerry's small market share in the phone market and its history of making complicated handsets would've made Franklin's choice less than likely.