The agency appears to based off of the real life Drug Enforcement Administration. It plays a small role in the HD Universe, being mentioned but playing no role with the story events in Grand Theft Auto IV and Grand Theft Auto V. In Grand Theft Auto Online, however, the agency makes its first appearance in the heist finale of 'Series A Funding'.
Events of Grand Theft Auto IV
Events of Grand Theft Auto V
The DOA makes irregular anti-drug use bleets on Bleeter.
Events of Grand Theft Auto Online
The DOA makes its only appearance in the finale of heist mission 'Series A Funding'. During the final pre-completion cutscene, players deliver their stolen drugs to Trevor. Later, Trevor is seen dealing the drugs to a strange man who, unbeknownst to Trevor, is an undercover DOA agent. After catching on, Trevor escapes by jumping off of a cliff into the ocean, with a team of DOA agents and LSPD police officers shooting at him from atop the cliff.
- The Abbreviation "DOA" is often used to describe projects with little to no chance of success or "Dead On Arrival". It is also used by police departments, and EMS agencies to describe a subject who had been found deceased upon their arrival.
- The logo of the agency has an eye on the top. This is referencing the "observation" part of the name.
- Although the DOA is a separate division from the LSPD, LSPD officers are seen shooting at Trevor in 'Series A Funding' instead of DOA agents. This is most likely due to lack of character models.
- Drug Enforcement Agency, the 3D Universe version of the agency.
- Bureau of Narcotics, another agency in the HD Universe that combats drug manufacturing and use.