- "2 pistols and 2 clips make for 34 rounds of mayhem. The stopping power hasn't increased, but the delivery rate just doubled."
- — Description in Chinatown Wars.
Dual pistols, also known as "Dual pistol" and "Twin pistols", is as implied, a pair of pistols held on each hand of the player character. The ability to wield two pistol exists only within the realms of Grand Theft Auto 2, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Grand Theft Auto: Advance and Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, where their design still differs significantly.
Grand Theft Auto 2
In GTA 2, the "Dual pistol" is in fact separate firearms from the single pistol (with their own separate ammunition), giving the player the ability to fire bullets in a V shape formation and twice as fast and efficiently as a single pistol, but with the drawback of faster depletion of ammunition. The Zaibatsu Corporation uses these guns when their respect meter drops below 3 or 4 in the Residential District. Apart from that it can be always found by all the Green Phones for all gangs in the Industrial District.
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
The ability was since been refined in GTA: San Andreas after being absent in GTA III and GTA Vice City. For San Andreas, the player will wield two pistols, "akimbo" style, once they reach the Hitman skill level for the pistol, but will use the same ammunition as a single pistol. Some enemies during missions, like the Russian Mafia, use the pistols in dual form too.
Grand Theft Auto: Advance
In Grand Theft Auto: Advance, the sprite for the pistol shows Mike holding two pistols, one in each hand, although other characters will wield only one pistol. Also, Mike shoots 2x faster than other characters with pistols because of dual.
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
In GTA Chinatown Wars, the player has the option of using either a single pistol or "Dual pistols", both set of weapons sharing the same ammunition, the latter effectively better in speed, damage, and magazine size. They can be bought from the Ammu-Nation website for $450 after the mission Copter Carnage. It's seen being used by various enemies during the course of the storyline, but it's fairly rare.
- During the Introduction of GTA III, Catalina shoots Claude, holding two pistols.
- During the mission The Shootist of GTA Vice City, Phil is holding two Desert Eagles.
- In GTA Chinatown Wars, when the "Explosive Pistol Rounds" cheat is used and the player shoots with the Twin Pistols, the player can get a very effective explosive gun, perfect for dealing with huge waves of enemies.