The Fire extinguisher is a usable item in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and an unusable item in Grand Theft Auto V. As its name implies, its primary function is to extinguish fires, though it can also be used as a weapon. The fire extinguisher featured in GTA San Andreas is based off the most common real-world type, the dry chemical stored pressure design. With the exception of certain missions, the fire extinguisher features an ammunition counter, which can be depleted, similar to weaponry.
In GTA V, the fire extinguisher returns once more. However, the player can no longer use it. The fire extinguisher can be seen in the hands of firefighters to extinguish fires. If the player initiates combat with the firefighters while they are holding the fire extinguisher, the firefighters will use the extinguisher as a weapon and spray it over the player. The extinguisher cannot harm the player, so the firefighters will most likely get defeated.
Upon use, this item looses a stream of its extinguishing agent, ironically similar to the Flamethrower. Putting out a flame requires 2-3 seconds of focused extinguishing; the player must aim at the base of the fire to permanently put it out.
The Fire Extinguisher can also be used to attack civilians; spraying at someone will disorient them for several seconds, preventing them from attacking or fleeing. Minimal damage is dealt, but the Fire Extinguisher can kill a person after prolonged use.
Except for certain missions requiring the use of this item to get through burning buildings, it is otherwise relatively useless. After finishing the firefighter missions, it becomes redundant as the player is immune to fire damage. The Fire Extinguisher can be found in the kitchens of fast food restaurants such as Burger Shot and Well Stacked Pizza, as well as various outdoor locations throughout San Andreas.
The following is a list of locations where the fire extinguisher spawns in San Andreas.
- Inside the Vagos gang house in East Los Santos (only during the mission Burning Desire)
- Inside Big Smoke's crack den in East Los Santos (only during the mission End of the Line)
- Over the counter at the Well Stacked Pizza Co. in Idlewood (found during the mission Ryder)
- At the Xoomer gas station in the Easter Basin district of San Fierro, at the south end of the main building
- Inside the Sindacco Abattoir in Whitewood Estates (only during the mission The Meat Business)
- In the Spinybed district of Las Venturas, at the Xoomer gas station just east of Millie Perkins' house, between the convenience store and car wash buildings
- Outside the small gas station in Whetstone, adjacent to the 24/7 along the main highway, just southeast of Angel Pine
- If you kill someone with the Fire Extinguisher, the victim will die of suffocation. Strangely, blood will spew out of their body as if they were killed by firearms or melee weapons. People that die of suffocation usually do not bleed in real life. The same thing also applies to the Spray Can and Tear Gas.
- Using a fire extinguisher in public can attract police attraction, even when it's used properly to put out fires.
- In GTA IV, fire extinguishers return but not as usable weapons. They can be found on the walls of some buildings and when shot, will fall to the ground and spray out foam for a short time. This foam does not have any effect on the player. This can only be done once on each fire extinguisher. Fire extinguishers can mostly be found on the corners of the Libertonian, with one spawning on each corner.