Fort Zancudo is a United States Air Force airbase, and a United States Army Outpost located in the Lago Zancudo area, near Mount Josiah. It closely resembles the real-life Vandenberg Air Force Base in Lompoc, California. Fort Zancudo is the only military base in Grand Theft Auto V.
DescriptionFort Zancudo is neighbored by Mount Josiah to the northeast and bordered by the Lago Zancudo River towards the south as well as Great Ocean Highway on the west. The base serves as a military operated and owned air-strip and munitions depot for the United States Air Force. Interestingly enough, there also seems to be Marines in the base, as the base's occupants will often yell "Semper Fi!" when in combat, which is the Marine Corps motto. The base is heavily guarded and protected, with high, anti-scale fencing stretched along the perimeter. The two access roads that join the base to the outside world are controlled by checkpoints. Armed guards sprawl within the base, with frequent partols in either Rhino Tanks or Crusaders. The airspace as well is patrolled by fighter jets and Cargobobs. The fort, features one main airstrip, one secondary airstrip (about the size of a ski jump runway), one large hangar, few smaller hangars, a munitions depot, a fire and rescue station, a refinery, an air traffic control tower, a main office and some barracks. Fort Zancudo holds military vehicles such as the Rhino Tank, Cargobob, Buzzard Attack Chopper, P-996 LAZER, and the Titan.
Like Area 69, Fort Zancudo is a restricted air base. If the player flies over the area, the player will receive a 2-star wanted level and a air traffic controller will warn the player via radio to immediately divert course and leave the airspace. If the player chooses to ignore the warnings and continues flying over the base, the player will gain a 4-star wanted level and a lock-on missiles will shoot the player down, regardless of position, about 10 seconds after the warning is given. Should the player enter the base on the ground, a 4-star wanted level will be received and the base alarm siren will go off. Armed Guards, Rhino Tanks and aerial patrols will shoot on sight.
Military and police vehicles, including those both bought on the in-game internet and stolen from the base itself, will not lift restrictions on the base.
- Ironically, if the player steals a military vehicle from the base, the police will give chase instead of the military, due to the Posse Comitatus Act.
- Zancudo is spanish for a malarial mosquito.
- Using a vehicle from the Super class or any motorcycle will sometimes allow the player to pass through the front checkpoint unnoticed, depending on which direction the guard is facing. Once passed, an entrance to a trench that surrounds the entire base can be found immediately to the right. Navigating the trench will not trigger a wanted level; it is recommended that the player quick saves at this point. Throughout the trench are several exits, with one behind the landing strip where two P-996 Lazers spawn. Once the player exits the trench, they can move throughout the base unnoticed for about ten seconds before the alarm is triggered. This gives the player a significant headstart if they intend to hijack a military vehicle, as the authorities' response times are delayed.
- You can enter the Air Traffic Control tower of Fort Zancudo, it has several rooms including a non-functioning elevator, at the top of the tower there is a room where the Minigun will spawn on the floor ever 30 to 90 seconds and in the uppermost level of the tower a health pack will spawn. there are 2 guards at the very top of the tower armed with Pump Shotguns or Carbine Rifles.
- According to news reports on the radio, the military are planning to expand the fort by constructing a drone base.
- Unlike Area 69, Fort Zancudo does not have any SAMs on the ground to take out player-controlled aircraft. Instead, the P-966 will spawn behind the player and fire a Heat Seaking Rocket. If the player continues to look backward using the "look backward" function, the response aircraft may be delayed in spawn.
- If the player is trying to steal a vehicle inside Fort Zancudo they should take massive caution as there are up to 4 Rhino tanks doing patrol in and around the base.
- During the second hunting mission Fair Game given by Cletus, one can easily run from the hunting grounds and towards the Fort, able to explore all of it without there being any Soldiers, Marines, or Airmen to stop you.