Fredo Volpe is a 42-year old capo in the Messina Family who has been a police informant since 1998. His LCPD profile states that he has collected thousands of hours of wire tap evidence. He has a brother named Mark Volpe, who was believed to have sliced the tongue from a Messina member for hinting that Fredo was a possible informant. Rudy D'Avanzo, deceased cross-dressing mobster found out that there was an informant in the ranks, but sent the assassin, Huang Lee after the wrong man in Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, this man being Jimmy Capra.
LCPD Database information
First Name: Fredo
Place of Birth: Dukes, Liberty City
Affiliations: Messina Crime Family
- 1982 - Accessory to Murder
- 1983 - Possession Controlled Substance: Heroin
- 1985 - Armed Robbery
- 1986 - Armed Robbery
- 1993 - Extortion
- 1995 - Grand Larceny
- 1998 - Possession Controlled Substance: Tranquilizers
- Police informant since 1998.
- Has collected thousands of hours of wiretap evidence. Should be enough to bring down the entire Messina Syndicate when arrests are made in the new years.
- Younger brother of Mark Anthony Volpe. Another Capo in the Messina family.
- Agreed to become an informant when evidence of plot by senior family members to castrate him was revealed.
- The name "Volpe" means "fox" in Italian, which is quite ironic with his sneaky actions (informing the police).
- In real life the Volpe brothers were racketeers from Turtle Creek Valley, Pittsburgh who had ties to the Pittsburgh crime family during the Prohibition era.
- It is possible that he and his brother are based on cousins Frank and Edward Lino who were both Capos in the Mafia, one of which (Frank Lino) turned informant against Bonnano boss Joe Massino in 2006.