|This article needs more images.|
You can help by adding some relevant images or discussing changes on the talk page.
GTADS is short for Grand Theft Auto Dedicated Server. GTADS was originally written as a chat server/client structure to allow players of GTA1 to play each other without having to deal with the directplay ports over the internet. Right now GTADS plans to support a wide range of LAN based games such as GTA2, Twisted Metal 2, and Doom just to name a few. GTADS is java based a such can be run on a wide variety of operating systems and hardware, and keeps the possibilities of supporting non-Windows games open for the future.
The purpose of GTADS is to allow many things for gamers, first of all giving them a choice in how they want to play their games online. There is no tie ins with using GTADS, just a choice. Any user is free to host their own own unique server and players may connect to any GTADS server they would prefer. Secondly, it will give many LAN games a second life on the Internet as things like NAT firewalls and routers have become commonplace now making gameplay difficult and cumbersome for people.
- Chatroom environment for players to talk and meet
- FriendsLists for users to keep track of when their friends sign on/off
- Instant Message support for sending private messages between users
- Proxy that binds multiple game ports into 1 for simplistic gameplay
- Consistent Join/Host interface for setting up multiplayer sessions
- Server commands for the Admin to use from the client
- Java based Server for running server on multiple OS/Platforms
- Easy to use config file for changing server settings