Give Me Liberty
|Game:||Grand Theft Auto III|
|Location:||Callahan Bridge, Portland Island|
|Conditions of mission failure:||Wasted|
- "Liberty City is in shock today as the Police and emergency services deal with the aftermath of a devastating attack on a police convoy this morning. As yet, no details have been released about the prisoners being transferred on the convoy and no group has claimed responsibility."
Give Me Liberty is the first storyline mission of Grand Theft Auto III. It is given to protagonist Claude by explosives expert 8-Ball from the Callahan Bridge, Portland Island, Liberty City. The mission serves as a tutorial mission, teaching new players how to control the game.
Following the ambush of their prison convoy and the subsequent attack on the Callahan Bridge, Claude and 8-Ball have escaped but are now isolated on Portland Island. After locating an abandoned Kuruma, 8-Ball informs Claude that he knows a place for them to lay low and find work, but Claude will need to drive there due to 8-Ball's injured hands.
After arriving at Claude's new hideout in the Red Light District, the duo change into civilian clothes before driving to Sex Club Seven, a strip club owned by Luigi Goterelli. Arriving at the club automatically triggers the next mission.
In order to complete the mission the player must:
- Get in the car
- Drive to the hideout
- Head over to Luigi's Club
Completion of the mission automatically triggers the mission Luigi's Girls.
- Non-chronologically, this is the first storyline mission in the 3D Era.
- As the GTA III physics engine does not permit cars to be turned on their side, the destroyed cars blocking the bridge will either be right side up or upside down. Strangely, standing in the flames of the burning cars will not damage Claude's health.
- The mission title may be a reference to Patrick Henry's famous words "Give me liberty or give me death!", as well as the name of Liberty City.
- For the first two in-game hours (until 6:00am), the player is exempt from gaining a wanted level.
- The Kuruma used in the mission has a unique Teal colour, which can be stored after completing the following mission. In the Beta version of the game, the player originally drove a purple Sentinel.
|iPad 2 Version|