|This article or section needs to be cleaned up to meet the standards of GTA Wiki|
A Glitch, also known as a Bug, is an error in the game that produces an effect that was unintended by programmers. They often arise from mistakes or errors in the game's coding which go unnoticed during development and testing of the game. Glitches can be unintentional and may cause problems to the player, but some glitches may be used to the player's advantage.
One of the most popular and common glitches is nicknamed "Blue Hell". It is featured in every game since GTA III. Once the player enters Blue Hell, they will fall for 5–10 seconds before returning to the surface.
Grand Theft Auto
The Swimming Glitch
If the player finds some water on the land, such as a small pond, and walks towards the water, the player will swim/walk for at least 5-6 seconds.
Grand Theft Auto III
Walking Above The Porter Tunnel
One method of reaching Staunton Island and Shoreside Vale when they are inaccessible, without cheats, is by exploiting a glitch that allows the player to walk above the Porter Tunnel. To do this, one must drive a car to the concrete sea wall above the tunnel entrance on Portland Island. The player has to park the car right along the edge of the wall, in line with the tunnel. When the player exits the vehicle, they will fall through the sea and into Blue Hell, but will land on top of the tunnel. The player can then walk along the tunnel, then jump into Blue Hell at the Staunton Island or Shoreside Vale end, so that the player can get teleported above the surface.
Walking Above The Subway Tunnel
This glitch can be performed at the subway in Shoreside Vale at the airport. When the train arrives to the platform, take the very last door of the train. Enter the train and then get out again. Claude will teleport above the platform and will be standing above Blue Hell, and the player will be able to see the tunnel. The player can run on top of the tunnel (they have to jump over one of the first holders for the electricity cables in the ceiling, otherwise they will fall into the tunnel). If the player gets arrested or killed, they will respawn on the last island they unlocked. If the player wants to get to Shoreside Vale, they can jump into Blue Hell and will respawn on the ground of the island.
Rhino Spawn Glitch
Taxi Driver Glitch
The player can transport people in any car besides the Taxi or Cabbie by executing the following glitch. Enter a taxi cab, and press and hold the side mission button. Keep holding the button and exit the cab. Then enter the car to whichever one the player desires (except for other vehicles with side missions). Once in the new car, release the sub-mission button and the Taxi mission will start. This glitch has been fixed on the iOS port of the game, however.
Easy Vigilante Glitch
Whenever the player is performing a Vigilante mission, get close to the target car and pause the game before entering the menu screen. Once gameplay resumes, the criminal in the car will stop and proceed his/her "getaway" on foot, being much easier to kill. Also, he will most likely engage in shooting other pedestrians if the player is not his nearest target. If this does not work the first time, just try again and/or get a bit closer.
"Killer Look" Glitch
When on foot, if there is anybody trapped under a car and the player uses the first person view, they will die instantly. The death will not be added to Claude's tally. This also happens if the pedestrian is trapped under the car and the player starts a mission. This glitch has been fixed on the iOS verison of the game however.
Pedestrian Money Glitch
Quite rarely if a pedestrian is killed, they may drop a large sum of cash, usually a total of at least $3,000. This may be a glitch in the programming from the money drop rate, as this glitch occurs to almost any pedestrian.
Inside the narrow tunnel that runs beneath St. Marks (which links Portland Docks with the Harwood Train Yard), there are four pedestrians that spawn, supposedly remnants of Darkel's gang, a deleted character. Drive a Bobcat into the tunnel and stop within view of the gang. Get out of the Bobcat, jump on its hood, and walk up to its roof. The four pedestrians will start walking around aimlessly. When the player walks back down onto its hood, four more gang pedestrians will spawn in the same spots. The pedestrians will respawn whenever the player repeats this action, though the game will freeze after at least 40 peds have spawned. If the player kills them, they will drop Molotov Cocktails.
Accessible Joey's Garage Glitch
The player can access Joey's Garage and see the whole interior as seen in cutscenes, by driving a car into the left garage door. Run on the left corner between the door and the garage. After a few seconds, the player will be inside the garage. This glitch doesn't seem to occur in the PC version of the game.
Car Spawn Save Glitch
Take a car and drive it anywhere. Save and load the game and the player can see that the car is still there in the condition it was left in. In addition, recently made skidmarks will still be visible if the player loads their game quickly enough.
If the player starts a new game on a memory card with Rumble completed, the Purple Nines will not spawn in the new game as they permanently disappear after that mission. This will make it impossible to complete Uzi Money and subsequent D-Ice missions, as killing randomly spawned Nines is the sole objective of these missions.
Import/Export Crane glitch
If the player dies whilst a vehicle is being transferred to the boat from the crane, the crane may be frozen in the position it was when the player died, rendering it unusable. You will no longer be able to get 100% completion, since the Import/Export side missions are required for completion.
Vehicle Spawn Glitches
The 10th Anniversary iOS port of GTA III is notable for containing many car spawn glitches and other abnormalities. Occasionally, moving vehicles have the tendency to spawn floating in mid-air due to a spawn glitch. After a few seconds, they will quickly fall back to the ground and continue driving. Also, cars may sometimes spawn abnormally inside the Porter Tunnel, where they will appear stuck inside the walls of the tunnel or submerged inside the road.
GTA III Videos
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
The player must find a motorbike and a clothing icon. Next, they have to park the bike in the clothing icon, but make it so that when Tommy gets off, he will not touch the icon. Then, they need to get off the bike then get back on. If the player performs this correctly, Tommy should have changed clothes and mounted the bike at the same time, and as a result, he will be in a standing position, yet his character model will be stuck inside the motorcycle. This also works for cars, but it is much easier with motorcycles.
If the player gets hit on a bike without getting knocked off, theres a rare chance of the player riding with zero health. The player will ride around in this state until they are killed.
Cargo Ship Glitch
On the cargo ship in Viceport, if the player gets to the top of the ship's cargo, they may see a small gap between the two sets of cargo. If the player jumps into the gap, they will appear outside of the ship between the cargo holds outside the ship and on the other side of the road.
Cherry Popper Save Bug
The Cherry Popper's save point can corrupt the player's saved file. This doesn't always occur, but its recommended to use a different save point.
Test Track & Trial by Dirt
The initial scores of both Trial By Dirt and Test Track will have the same time results once both scores are listed in stats. Once the player replays the missions and gets better times, the scores will be listed individually.
Helicopter with Cinematic Camera
If the player uses the cinematic camera view while performing a drive-by in a helicopter, the sound the gun makes is not the sound of a sub machine gun. Rather, it is the sound of a pursuit Police Helicopter's machine gun.
The Ghost Tower refers to an air traffic control tower that was originally intended to be located within Fort Baxter. If the player is heading towards the southern half of the Vice City Mainland from the Vice Beach side, they will notice an odd-colored building with a large antenna in the distance. However, after the player arrives on the Mainland, the tower disappears. This tower was going to serve a runway at the base, but both were cut before the game was released. The texture can still be seen before entering the Mainland but as when the island is entered, the map fully loads and the tower disappears and can't be viewed up close. The tower is just a low density texture that was accidentally left in the game (most structures that are way off in the distance are low-density, but when the player gets close to them, their texture gets clearer and they become high-density). This glitch is much more defined in the 10th Anniversary edition and can also be seen in GTA Vice City Stories.
Floating Car Glitch
Get a car, and drive off of a jump. In mid-air, press the vehicle enter/exit button, and the car will suddenly freeze floating in the air, with Tommy standing on the roof. However, on rare occasions, the car may disappear immediately when the button is pressed, and Tommy will fall to the ground. This glitch seems to have been fixed in the PC version and in other subsequent ports.
Jacked by Criminals
There are criminals walking around the city, other than Tommy, and they sometimes jack vehicles, even the player's. If the player sees one of them slowly walking towards their car, they must park in a position so that the jacker will try to get in the car through the right front door. When it opens the door, the player needs to drive away. The jacker will get into the right front seat, leaving the player in the driver's seat, but they will lose control of the vehicle. Instead, the car will drive itself as it would be an AI vehicle such as stopping on red lights. The criminal won't change seats if the player exits the car.
It is unconfirmed, but while the player is still sitting in the car, they can try killing the jacker by doing a drive-by on the right side. This is a rare glitch, and the criminal ped will only enter the car if the "enter vehicle" animation has reached a certain point, where driving away with the car won't just knock over the ped on the sidewalk in the process.
If the player parks their vehicle in the far right corner of the fenced area, right next to the parking lot entrance near Collar and Cuffs in Ocean Beach, it instantly disappears upon exiting. The glitch is present on the 10th Anniversary edition and in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories.
Wheels on Aircraft
If the player lands a Sea Sparrow in a Pay 'n' Spray, it will emerge from the garage with wheels on the pontoons. The only Spray Shop big enough to accommodate the Sea Sparrow is the Spray'n'go behind Sunshine Autos.
If one of the weapons in the player's inventory is used in a Rampage, they will lose it immediately when the mission ends.
Stuck in a Building
It is possible to become stuck in large buildings by ramming them with a motorcycle at high speeds. The game will play the animation for Tommy's character model getting flung off, sending him through the wall. This glitch is quite rare, however, and is often the result of a fluke. There is no way to get out of this area other than suicide, though some buildings lead to Blue Hell.
Pole Position Glitch
The player must get a fast motorcycle, and drive it towards the entrance of the club. Next, they have to bail out of the motorcycle just before it enters the club. The motorcycle is supposed to be in the interior of the club. Now the player must enter the club. As Tommy walks out the door, all buildings (except the club itself) will disappear but they still seem to be solid. This is a way to easily find all Hidden Packages, because no buildings will block the view. Tested on iOS version.
In the 10th Anniversary edition, the models of the hands have been revamped and are much more detailed than they previously were. Occasionally, possibly due to script errors during cutscenes, characters will appear with their hands missing, leaving them with stumps at the ends of their arms.
Autopilot Car Glitch
When the player carjacks someone, the owner runs away but some cars take Tommy out and throw him down, but the player can quickly enter on the other side of the door and the player will see the car owner is driving the car and with the player inside.
Gimmie ShelterThis glitch benefits the PC player with the ability to acquire property no-charge during replay. When the player meets the requirements such as enough cash and perhaps purchase unlocked after completion of Shakedown (GTA VC), instead of pressing 'tab' when standing in a purchase pickup, the green spinning house symbol, use the instant replay to 'tab' during replay, then the features such as garages, supplies and save points become available, forgetting to bill the player's cash. First, check that the player has permission and enough cash to purchase the safe-house or asset. Then stand in the spinning green house for a few moments DO NOT press 'tab' yet. Press Function-2 (save replay) and stand there for 30 seconds or more. Walk away, somewhere away from the asset, or enter a vehicle to view another glitch. While away, press 'tab', then immediately press Funciton-1 (playback replay), press 'tab' while the replay player is seen standing in the purchase pickup. Then cancel the replay with Function-1 again. The purchase cut-away scene will play, the cash counter remains untouched, and then the player can utilize the asset/safe-house features. The pickup will likely display both the green house simultaneously as the pink cassette tape save symbols merged together. Tommy's image may become momentarily mangled, or stuck in a vehicle, or the vehicle entered may vanish, after this otherwise beneficial glitch.
Vice City Videos
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
First Mission Glitch
In the first mission, when C.R.A.S.H. drive CJ around in their squad car, the player can enter the Jetpack cheat when the car stops at the level crossing. CJ will be killed and will respawn at the nearest hospital. If this is done correctly, the player will be able to go inside every enterable structure at the very beginning of the game, even clothes stores and sometimes the player can enter Jizzy's Pleasure Domes when San Fierro is unlocked. Some bridges may also be unlocked, although crossing them still gives the player a four-star wanted level.
Strangely, Carl's girlfriend is immune to any type of damage inflicted by radio-controlled bombs. She is, however, vulnerable to gunfire and all other types of damage.
Ghost Tug/Baggage/Tractor/Forklift Glitch
If Carl carjacks a Tractor, Tug, Baggage Handler or any other one-seater vehicle from the right side, he will slam the driver's head into the dashboard rather than hitting him. When he does that, the vehicle will move by itself because when stealing any other 2-seated car, e.g. Premier from the passenger side, the driver will attempt to drive off.
The player must obtain a Monster and park one wheel onto a random car. Next, they must get out of the Monster, get in the car CJ parked on, and the player may find themselves spinning high in the air, crashing back down to earth. Also, the vehicle can sometimes become stuck in the ground.
They player must go to any Ammu-Nation shooting range, and make sure CJ is dating Katie Zhan. Then, they have to go to any weapon challenge, and enter the "suicide" cheat. When CJ respawns at the nearest hospital, he will not have any of his weapons. Then, he must pick up either a pistol, Micro Uzi, Shotgun or Assault Rifle and it will have infinite ammunition. However, the player will not be able to switch weapons.
Car Spawn Glitch
When the player is driving down any highway in the state, the player may randomly encounter NPC cars that spawn inside of each other, thus they will be stuck and will give off sparks, then both cars will start smoking and eventually explode. The cars can be freed by simply hitting them with CJ's car. Cars may also spawn stuck half-in and half-out of the ground, usually at a 45 degree angle and with their rear end submerged in the road. This seems to occur most frequently on long bridges, such as the Gant or Garver Bridge, for unknown reasons. They usually just go the same speed as the other cars, but some may kind of bump around and explode. It is unknown what factor of the game causes these glitches, however it could happen due to the low frame rate while playing the game.
Taxi Driver Mission Glitch
A glitch can occur when the player begins the Taxi Driver mission, but no fares are available. It happens when the player has crossed over the map boundaries (e.g. flying too far away from San Andreas). It is advised to complete the Taxi missions very early on in the game to avoid this glitch.
End of the Line Mission Glitch
After completing the mission End of the Line, all law enforcement vehicles will disappear from the player's garages (police cars, Rhinos, and even the SWAT Tank). This may be a glitch, but it is most likely to stop players from obtaining the SWAT Tank (as End of the Line is the only mission to obtain it and the vehicle was never meant to be available during normal gameplay). The player can, however, obtain the tank if they fail the mission, whether accidentally or on purpose. To do this, the player must fail the mission and then drive it into a garage. However, the player will still be unable to complete the mission and retain the vehicle.
During the mission End of the Line, the player will encounter an engine carriage of a Brown Streak. Unlike most trains that appear during missions, this one can be hijacked (with the penalty of losing Sweet, thus failing the mission). If this train is jacked, other trains will appear on the player's track, passing through the player's train.
If the player has left a train at Cranberry Station in Snail Trail, then another train will pass through it for the target to get on. The second train is useful to trail the other as it goes faster than the Sanchez; however, there is a little catch up required though this will not fail the mission.
No Traffic Glitch
Sometimes, if Carl is driving or flying really fast over San Andreas and abruptly stops or lands, no cars will spawn on the road, although stationary vehicles and pedestrians do spawn. This glitch can be fixed by simply activating a sub-mission or entering an interior. This glitch also sometimes occurs if CJ dies inside an interior. Then, when CJ spawns at the hospital, there will be no traffic.
On the southernmost block of Fort Carson, there is a Beagle that spawns in the driveway of a house, stuck between the house and a large palm tree. It is unstable, as even the slightest nudge or push can cause its left engine to catch on fire and explode. Entering it is not recommended, as it will also lead to imminent destruction. Sometimes, it just explodes immediately, even if the player never touched it. This glitch is most likely a coding error. However the Beagle must have not been intended to spawn there. It is possible to get it out by sprinting against its backside and nudging it out from between the house and the tree, or by using several cheats.
Car Physics Glitch
If the player drives a heavy vehicle, such as the monster truck, over the trunk/hood of a car, they can either cause the car to spin into the air or embed itself into the ground. This glitch happens especially with cars that have relatively flat trunks/hoods. In certain cases, your monster truck may be launched into the air. This is probably because the over-sized wheel of the monster truck presses against the body of it, and springs down with enough force to push the car into the ground or cause the car to slip out from under the wheels and spin into the air.
Airport Gate Glitch
The player can open the front gate of the Easter Bay Airport before CJ acquires a pilot's license. First, they have to go up to the left sliding gate, punch it, and then they need to turn away quickly, and it should slide open.
Ghost Bike Glitch
If CJ rams into a motorcyclist and then quickly drives off whilst looking behind CJ's vehicle, the pedestrian disappears and the bike will drive with no one on it. This happens if CJ is far enough away that the ped disappears whilst they are doing the 'get on' animation. The bike reads that the driver is getting on, and drives like normal but without the pedestrian. The bike will drive normal until it's flipped over or jacked.
If CJ enters an interior while having a parachute on and the player switches to it, the altitude meter will be all the way at the top, because Carl is in the Hidden Interiors Universe. This is technically not really a glitch since all of the interiors are located in the sky.
Flying Train Glitch
In the mission Snail Trail, if the player follows one of the Freight trains that spawns in the opposite direction to the Brown Streak, the Freight will make a right turn off the tracks at Cranberry Station and fly across the map until reaching the tracks at Red County where the train will make another right back onto the tracks and continue on its journey like a normal train. Viewing this glitch to completion requires failing the mission.
This is caused by the path file within the game only being coded as far as Cranberry Station. When the train reaches the end of the path, it heads directly for the next set of coordinates, which are located in Red County, way across the map.
In Downtown Los Santos, there is a building with floors on the outside that the player can stand on. On the floor in the middle of two other higher floors, they can see very little of the interior of it in some places, while others, when they look at just the right angles, make CJ invisible, but only in that spot looking in that angle. If the player has a jetpack on and do this, the flames will show. The building is straight across the highway from an Ammu-Nation.
Railroad Signal Glitch
If Carl is arrested during the riots and somebody kills the arresting officer, the BUSTED sign will not disappear.
Random Plane Crash Glitch
There is a common and sometimes irritating random factor of the game where airplanes crash to the ground or into buildings near CJ (with sometimes fatal or mission-failing consequences). Most crashes occur if the player is roaming around an area with many tall structures around them. The airplane may crash into one of these structures, making an audible explosion sound. However, there are also some instances where the player is on relatively flat ground and an airplane may just crash straight into the ground near them, or into the vehicle the player is in. Other crashes occur after CJ exits an interior after being inside for a few minutes and an aircraft spawns too low. Random crashes occur all around the state, most notably around Downtown Los Santos and San Fierro, or also in heavily-forested areas like Whetstone. There are also frequent crashes on top of Mount Chiliad.
Madd Dogg's Safehouse basketball and gym glitch
It's been reported by some that saving at Madd Dogg's Mansion once it becomes a safehouse can cause a glitch rendering all the basketball games and gyms in the State inoperable. This doesn't appear to happen all the time (and may not be an issue with the PS2 version).
Walk Underwater Glitches
There are various glitches that allow CJ to stand on the sea floor and walk around as if he was on land.
If CJ hits a fence with a motorbike, and he ejects from the bike and lands in the sea, he may land on the surface of the water as if it were solid ground. Then, after he does the "Getting Up" animation, he may suddenly drop down and appear on the sea floor.
The player must begin a multiplayer session. Next, they need to get any amphibious aircraft (Sea Sparrow, Skimmer, Leviathan), and fly out into relatively shallow water. Then, they need to land in the water, and have the player in the passenger side get out and hijack the driver. The driver will fall out, and suddenly appear underwater on the ocean floor, and he will be able to walk around without a breath meter. This glitch is only possible on the PS2 version.
Mountain Bike Glitch
Obtain a Mountain Bike and, while Carl is riding it, the player must hold down Square and tap X very quickly. If done correctly, CJ's body will shimmer and distort out of proportion. This glitch appears to be possible only on the PS2.
Police Vehicles Glitch
Sometimes, after a flight between cities, police vehicles from the starting point would still spawn on the player's destination.
Flint County Highway Glitch
Third Person Train Glitch
Main Article: Freight
It is possible to drive a train in third person on GTA San Andreas.
Note: To activate this glitch, the player must unlock all areas of San Andreas.
The player must take a random flight from a city to another city. After that, when the plane cutscene is going on, they need to enter the "All cars explode" cheat. Carl will be killed and when he respawns at a hospital, the player can see that the view is in cutscene mode and the health bar, money bar and map will disappear. Even saving is impossible to deactivate this glitch.
Invincible Pedestrian Glitches
Carjack a vehicle with a passenger in it, keep the speed up so the passenger doesn't get out and run away. Drive down a beach and into the water, the car will stop and begin to sink, letting the passenger get out. However, the passenger will be running against the door as the car sinks. If Carl gets on the roof and pushes the passenger away from the door, the passenger will "run" to the shore and begin to run down the beach. Since NPCs are meant to die when they go into water, the passenger will have a black targeting reticule and will be "undead"; since the passenger is technically "dead", the passenger will be invulnerable to all forms of damage for a short time until they fall over dead.
Another way to exploit this glitch is to steal a car from a pedestrian, so that the ped will chase Carl. Drive his vehicle slowly into a Pay N' Spray garage, so that both Carl and the pedestrian are inside at the same time. When the garage door opens back up after the car gets resprayed, the pedestrian will be invincible and will not die even if their target reticule becomes black. If Carl tries to run over the pedestrian with a vehicle, they will go through it and he will shimmer and distort out of proportion.
Shoot random objects near a garage (i.e. Doherty Garage), wait until a car hit to the garage vehicles or the wall, then push it before he/she reverses except if the garage is still empty, then go away from the garage. The driver will disappear. This can work to garage that besides the street except Prickle Pine Safehouse & CJ's House.
Tear Gas Glitch
If the player throws a Tear Gas canister into a crowd and then performs a stealth kill on any NPC in the crowd, every NPC affected by the Tear Gas will undergo the same stealth kill animation and die at the same time.
Ghost Vehicle Glitch
If the player drives a combine harvester and hit the drivers door gently, the driver will be gone as if it was killed by the harvester and the vehicle will drive itself normally without anyone inside. If the player hijacks the vehicle, CJ will get in the vehicle and still be able to drive it around normally.
If, while sprinting, Carl takes a picture with a camera by quickly pressing the right mouse button (to aim) and right after, the left mouse button (to take a picture, almost at the same time), CJ should be running with the slow running animation, but with the sprinting speed, making him look like he's sliding on the ground. The higher the FPS, the easier it is to do. (Tested on PC)
Mobile Version Glitches
Mobile version have more glitches than other version. This includes:
- If Carl enters a train and the player leaves the game, once they resume, the train may appear in Las Venturas, with only the locomotive itself on the tracks. If the player hasn't unlocked Las Venturas, Carl will receive four wanted stars and can only get back to Los Santos or San Fierro by swimming (which will usually kill him in the process).
- The cars' headlights and taillights may encounter texture errors.
- Sometimes a car's damaged parts appear in mismatched colors.
- If the player were to fail a mission and retry, the game may glitch and the mission cannot be completed.
Most glitches seem to be encountered more often after prolonged gameplay. All except the train glitch can be fixed by restarting the game.
- Ammunation Glitch
- Andromada Glitch
- Headless CJ Glitch
- Madd Dogg Gym Glitch
- Mountain Bike Glitch
- Tear Gas Glitch
- Territory Glitch
- Chiliad Challenge Glitch
- Las Venturas TransFender Glitch
- Blue Hell
- Parachute Glitch
San Andreas Videos
Gand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
No Bike Sound Glitch
Steal a bike from an NPC, and make sure its radio is on. Immediately after Toni steals it, press and hold the accelerate button, and there will be no sound coming from the bike, even though it is accelerating. The player will only be able to hear the radio. Stop the bike to an idle, and the engine will be audible.
Melting Vehicle Glitch
Steal a car near the Harwood Car Crusher, and then drive under the crane. Make sure the driver followed Toni there. If timed right, the driver will steal back his car just as the crane starts picking up the vehicle. The car will then start shuddering and distorting while it is being lifted up. It will then suddenly appear below the crane, stuck halfway submerged into the ground. Also, the car may appear back on the ground and drive away, but it will be unsolid.
This glitch makes the vehicle damage-proof.
Wear the Avenging Angel Fatigues and take a vehicle which the player wants to make damage-proof and start the mission. Make sure that the Avenging Angel sits besides Toni on the front seat. Now take the car to the crusher and park it just aside the crusher in such a way that the driver's seat is on the side of the crusher blocking the door. Get out of the vehicle and again get back in. The player will kick the Avenging Angel out of the car and the crane will lift the vehicle to some height but will drop it as the player get inside the vehicle. Toni's vehicle can go through vehicles and other objects. The player may cancel the Avenging Angels Mission. Go and leave the vehicle in the Portland garage (Note: Do not get out of the vehicle before reaching the garage. Empty the garage before performing the glitch) and come out. Now the vehicle has become damage-proof. (Tested on PSP with Patriot and Hellenbach GT)
This video can assist the player if there is any confusion.
Enable Traffic At Francis International Airport
Go to Wichita Gardens and begin the AWOL Angel mission. Fail the mission by killing the driver. Go back to the airport and now cars will be driving into the actual airport tarmac and break the red bar gates. (Only tested on PSP)
Get Into Unfinished Porter Tunnel Glitch
On the small roof of the parking lot in front of the hospital, there is an unsolid area on the wall near the white main building. If the player manages to get there (as seenhere) and drives through the wall, the player will fall into Blue Hell and respawn in the unfinished section of Porter Tunnel (the same that were used in the mission Bringing The House Down). Notice that only the tunnel section of the mission can be explored, because there are only Blue Hell at the subway tunnel entrance. For a full description, see this video.
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories
Squashed Bike Glitch
Drive a VCPD Wintergreen to the stadium and buy access to the Phil Collins Concert. Exit or watch the concert. When the concert is over, there is a 75% chance the bike will be squashed. Vic can still mount the bike but it will revert to normal if he manages to do so.
Turn off-and on Glitch
Have a 2-star wanted level or more, then fly a little low in an area where the cops are chasing Victor. The police will arrest Vic in the helicopter even though he is flying.
Invisible Biker Glitch
Sometimes, if a battle with the Bikers is going on in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories, shoot them with an Assault Rifle while they are riding fast and the Angel will perform donuts with no driver.
Invisible Vic on Bike
Get a bike, turn the camera into the outside dashboard camera. Try to look left and right, Vic will be invisible while riding the bike. If he have a sub-machine gun, the sub-machine gun is invisible and if shot at the front, it looks like a free aim.
Car Glitches (tested on PSP)Sometimes, cars appear where they are not supposed to. For example: at the bottom of a bridge, half in a building.
Building entry glitch
Sometimes, when Vic charges against a building without windows or doors in a car, he will end up in the building, but since the building was never designed to be entered, it is empty inside.
No traffic glitch (encountered on PS2)
After the eastern island is unlocked, if the player plays for a while without saving, in particular completing numerous Civil Asset Forfeiture Impound drop-offs in a row, they may encounter a scenario where no traffic (or, at least, very little traffic spawns). This does not effect pedestrian spawning, or the spawning of parked vehicles. There are some benefits to this glitch: less traffic to collide with when driving an Impound vehicle, and even up to a 6-star Wanted Level very few police or military vehicles spawn.
Police Helicopter Glitch (tested on PS2)
Whilst on a three star wanted level or above, going indoors whilst a Police Maverick is pursuing Vic will cause it to freeze in mid-air but with the propellers spinning. If the building has windows, Vic can snipe at the helicopter, providing it is in view, and it will catch fire after enough hits but will never explode. Exiting the building will negate the damage inflicted to the helicopter, although it will still remain stationary in the sky and can now be destroyed.
Teleport Glitch (tested on PS2)
Head to the eastern side of Escobar International, where Vic will find a sand pile with a few cement pipes. Jump on the end of the pipe facing east, and it will teleport the player to the golf course on the first island.
Narrow Wrist Glitch (Tested on PSP)
Vice City Stories Videos
Grand Theft Auto IV
- Dying and being admitted to a hospital causes the in-game time to advance 12 hours; however, the day does not advance. For example, if Niko goes to the hospital at 7:00 on Saturday, when they are released, it is 17:00 on Saturday - but if they go to the hospital at 17:00 on Saturday, they are released at 7:00 Saturday when it should actually be 7:00 Sunday. This was tested on the PC version.
- In the mission No. 1, go to the race start, but not on the yellow arrow that starts the race. Instead, do not pause but leave the game on for at least one in-game day. All other competition will be gone. Brucie is still with Niko, so go to the yellow arrow and start the race. The player will be in first place the entire time, so the player can simply complete the race (this may work in the Xbox 360 version only).
- After a mission ends in which an enemy was shot or blown into water (such as the missions Tunnel of Death or Uncle Vlad), the body of that particular enemy will not be shown in the water, even if the cut-scene ended with the player only a few feet away from the sea.
- If the player falls into a gap (i.e. between two cars or between a car and a dumpster), Niko will suffer minimal damage even when falling from a height that will normally kill him.
- On the top of the GetaLife building, if Niko walks and falls onto the E, he will take damage and move forward, causing him to fall. However, when he falls, he will fall slower than the speed he normally falls and stay in a "lying down" position, and when he reaches the ground, he will take no damage.
- At the beginning of a date with any of the girlfriends while in any vehicle, wait for her to get tired and fire a weapon to end the date. The vehicle the player is currently in will become fire- (excluding the tires), bullet-, explosion-, and damage-proof.
- Bringing up the camera option on the mobile phone while driving in a car or on a bike will instantly stop the car or bike no matter what the speed the vehicle was going. However, this has been fixed in the PC Version.
- In the subway tunnels, it is possible to be forced through the wall and into Blue Hell. If the player is riding a motorbike and is trapped between the wall and a moving train, he can be forced through and off the bike. The player could also use a large vehicle (such as the Bus) and get shoved by two subways going in opposite directions to get forced into Blue Hell. All that occurs is falling for a brief few seconds before respawning on the ground above.
- Occasionally, when the player is using the subway, the player can encounter a glitch where they are stuck to their seat. This is caused by an unknown error where the player presses the button to leave the train, and the game cuts to the train's interior camera, but Niko doesn't get up. The train then doesn't leave the station, and all controls do not work. The player must restart the game. This glitch has so far only been confirmed at Suffolk, Frankfort Ave, and Easton (K/C).
- In the online multiplayer mode "Bomb Da Base II," players have reported a bug/glitch that occurs at a certain point in the mission. The screen will go black and then start loading, and the player will be loaded back to single player. This only occurs on the PS3 version, and was later fixed in a patch released by Rockstar.
- If the player drives a truck up one of the ramps at Francis International Airport in Free Mode, it is possible to make the truck fall on its side and if the Player has also activated the Sixaxis option " Vehicle Aftertouch" the Truck starts spinning in circles. If you get a Mule Truck fall on the roof it will roll itself over the driver's cabin back on its wheels. This is not only visible to the player, but also other players. This occurs on large vehicles with the capability of staying on their side, and can also occur in normal gameplay (though the player will earn a four-star wanted level for trespassing) [Video below]
- If the player gets out of a vehicle parked on the entrance gates leading to Francis International Airport's cargo yard (with stop signs on them), the gates will go back down and cause the vehicle to disappear. This also occurs on other gates in the game.
- Sometimes, when Niko has a wanted level and is stopped by the police, while performing a hands up gesture, the key to perform resisting arrest doesn't work, making Niko fail to resist arrest.
- When doing the extra missions for Roman, if the player pulls up next to some street furniture (newspaper boxes, dumpsters, etc.), the fare will walk into the objects and Niko will be stuck. This has been tested on Xbox 360, and the player will have to restart from the last save.
- Sometimes, when driving by the gas station in Westdyke, there are two vehicles parked in the parking lot, one of which could be parked with its engine running, doors locked, and the hazard lights on, which cannot be turned off by the player.
- Rarely, if the player drives into a postbox, the postbox can spawn half-underground.
- The player can reduce a five or six-star wanted level by entering Francis International Airport. If the player does so, their wanted level will be reduced to four stars.
- Sometimes, the player may become stuck in a loop when trying to buy food at Burger Shot, Cluckin' Bell, or any other restaurant or food vendor - he then just stands in front of the vendor doing nothing. There are two ways to get out of this loop: one is to reload the game, and the other is to just go into the pause menu for at least ten seconds, and then he should momentarily continue. This is the same with any of the hot dog stands, with the only difference being that the player walks in a circle all the time. If the player is lucky and waits long enough, the animation might stop and the player gets the food at last. The player can avoid this by walking to the exact front of the vendor and by making sure that Niko is standing still. Do not try to buy food from vendors when Niko is somewhat far away from the counter/stand. Otherwise, cars and objects might block Niko, triggering this glitch.
- Causing many explosions at once (especially when it's raining) will cause the game to crash. Tested on PC version.
- If the player spawns a car using cheats while looking over the edge of an overpass, the car may float in the air. If Niko shoots it, it won't become damaged, but it will fall down. Alternatively, if the player spawns one while standing just before the entrance of the Booth Tunnel, the car may become stuck in the top of the tunnel. Again, the player may shoot it to get it down.
- Occasionally, a "rock car" spawns in the game (sometimes in multiplayer). This vehicle looks like any normal NPC while in motion until hit; however, the vehicle does not move from its line of travel, creating tremendous forces against both vehicles and leaving little cushion since the reaction is close to driving the vehicle directly into a wall. The impact usually kills the NPC and creates high to extreme damage to the player's car. (Damage to engine, suspension, etc.) Damage may be lessened on the NPC's car, but not as much. Other possibilities besides vehicle damage is ejection of the player through windscreen and the NPC's vehicle combusting internally.
- There is a glitch that causes peds to clone themselves many times, such as an event that a ped is lying on an electric pole making a call.
- On the Xbox 360 version, if the player kicks somebody using the X button while they are using a computer in TW@, their health will be completely drained or almost drained. This usually doesn't work if the NPC is sitting at a chair with no computer.
- Shop doors can be glitched by driving a car into them. It will cause them to vibrate and distort.
- Rarely, when a big-wheeled vehicle is sideways, it can be driven around. If turned sharply, it will return upright.
- At Francis International Airport, it is possible to enter the airport building (the building before the runway) by jumping into pillars next to one of the entrances to the Airport. The building will have no interior, as it isn't supposed to be reached.
- There is a glitch to alter a car's top speed and acceleration. Pop all the tyres of the car. This will decrease the car's acceleration, but increase the top speed. This can make some super cars go faster than the Police Stinger with wheels.
- There is a rare glitch that causes the ability to carjack or fire a weapon (even at the police) without earning a wanted level, without the use of cheats. This involves using a phone. However, this glitch may end when you die. (Tested on PC version)
- If Niko is on top of a moving vehicle, and the vehicle drives down a slope, Niko will suddenly flinch and fall over. However, on very rare occasions, Niko can be catapulted a few feet into the air.
- Occasionally, when the player is driving a car in Bohan, all or most of the other cars that spawn in both parked and moving positions will be the same model as the car being driven. [Video below]
- Sometimes, when the player invites a prostitute into their car, if they drive and then jump out with the prostitute still inside, they will actually drive off with the player's car. If the player catches up to them, they will find that there is a man in the driver seat, and the prostitute cannot be seen, strangely.
- There is a rare chance that a pedestrian will spawn lying on the ground, and will converse with other peds (for example, talking about the day, hitting on/responding to being hit on). The glitch will be fixed if the player comes into contact in any way with the pedestrian.
- Sometimes, when the player skips a taxi ride to a gun shop, the mini-map will disappear. Pausing then resuming the game will fix this. (Tested on the PC version)
- Whenever the player is in a vehicle, taking out Niko's mobile phone and opening the camera will instantly stop the vehicle, no matter how fast it was initially going. This glitch is present in GTA IV as well as its episodes, but it was patched in the PC version of GTA IV.
- Only possible in TBoGT:
- When in a car, boat, or on a motorcycle, and equipped with either an SMG or Micro-SMG, switch the drive-by weapon to the SMG. Activate the "Advanced Weapons" cheat, and the SMG will be replaced with an Assault SMG, which can't normally be used in drive-by mode. When firing the Assault SMG, Luis's body will become extremely deformed due to there not being a proper animation for firing this weapon from a vehicle. On the PC version, this is also possible without using cheats by scrolling down with the mouse wheel. If the player tries to scroll up, only the pistol and explosive slots will be available.
- In TBoGT, it is possible to obtain an invisible helicopter by performing the swing glitch on a helicopter; the helicopter itself will be invisible, and only Luis can be seen. Note that it is much easier to do this with the Buzzard (confirmed on the PS3 version).
- If the player flies a helicopter into the Rotterdam Tower above the second ledge on any side, the helicopter and Luis will enter Blue Hell for a few seconds, then spawn either above the Rotterdam Tower or above the Firefly Projects.
- Sometimes, after finishing the second mission for Sara, the package Luis picked up will be in his hand, along with his weapon. The player can change weapons normally but cannot shoot, and aiming is glitched. This can be fixed if the player dies or gets arrested.
- The player can glitch their way into hidden interiors by activating a bike glitch such that the bike ends up halfway into the interior or inside the interior. Upon pressing the vehicle enter button, the player will be forced into the interior. This method can cause Luis to spawn in places not accessible under normal circumstances (note, however, that certain places, such as Mikhail Faustin's house, may not have an actual interior and Luis and the bike will glitch and may fall into Blue Hell. Luis must then swim to the nearest coast).
- It is possible to glitch into Goldberg's office area by going outside and to the side of the building to where the player can still see inside. Using cheats, spawn a Turismo and continue until the Turismo is positioned between the inside of the hallway leading to his office and the waiting area. Also, keep trying to get into the car when the player can see the car still, and they can glitch inside.
- On the PC version, there is a glitch where, upon starting a new game, Luis' Apartment's television will be broken, as if it has been shot. This can be fixed by watching TV, as after that, the TV will remain normal.
- Also on the PC version, a graphical error causes the tail lights of the cars that are found on TBoGT vehicles.img to not light up correctly. The most notable car with this glitch is the second generation Schafter, which is the first car available to the player in TBoGT.
- This glitch is quite common and it requires the Sanchez cheat. To attempt it, go to the TW@ Internet Cafe in northern Algonquin and, if in a vehicle, get out of the vehicle near the door. Then, use the Sanchez cheat and it should be inside (However, it might take a few times for it to appear). Get on the motorcycle inside the Tw@ internet cafe and now the pedestrians and even the player will be invisible. (Tested on Xbox 360 and PS3). A video of it can be found here (Ctrl/Cmd=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6XqqxA7B5c)
- It is possible to throw a grenade and/or send a person underground (possibly into Blue Hell) in Alderney (Tested on PS3 - TLAD). A video of it can be found here (Ctrl/Cmd=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_8G8rQhCOs)
GTA IV Videos
Grand Theft Auto V
- When the mission Mrs. Phillips becomes available and before accepting it, when playing as Trevor, make sure that Ron is standing in Trevor's garden, take any vehicle and gently bump into Ron, just enough to knock him over, he will then proceed to walk into Trevor's trailer and then walk back out along with multiple clones of Ron without hats. Everytime the camera is moved to take Trevor's trailer out of view, a new clone will spawn, also if right is pushed on the D-pad, this is the only time Trevor will actually make nice comments as opposed to the negative comments he usually makes to NPCs (Encountered in the PS3 and xbox 360 version)
- There is an uncommon glitch where the the number showing the amount of money the player spent will stay on the screen after the player buys an item (eg. food, cars or car parts). The player will continue to lose that exact amount of money until re-loading a savefile.
- When you throw any kind of handheld explosives like Grenades, Sticky Bombs, in any time of the game, this is known to crash the game by doing a Drive By and by switching characters. The only workaround for some missions (e.g. Blitz Play) which require to throw handheld explosives is to is to quick throw it instead. You can quick throw by aiming any gun to the target and press G. (Encountered in PC version)
- In Richman, Los Santos, there are several gates at the entrances of driveways of some homes which open automatically when the player gets close to them. If the player drives a vehicle up to one of these gates and rubs against it while the door is opening or closing, the player's vehicle may be thrown violently to the opposite direction, often flying through the air a few miles before crashing back down to the ground. This glitch is very similar to the swingset glitch in GTA IV and was patched in the 1.14 update.
- Occasionally, if the player switches characters many times over a short period of time in Single Player, a duplicate character may appear. The duplicate character will act like a normal pedestrian, and will move towards the nearest pedestrian pathway and walk as if he were a normal NPC. Switching characters again will revert this glitch.
- Sometimes, if the player switches from any other player to Trevor, he may spawn inside his helicopter flying towards a skyscraper, causing him to crash and instantly kill himself. It is unknown if this was a spawn glitch or if it was intended.
- On rare occasions, Trevor can survive the crash and will exit the vehicle unharmed if the player switches back to him.
- There is a way to glitch into many interiors in the game as any character that are either locked after a certain part of the story or only accessible to a single Protagonist. Enterable locations include: Floyd's apartment, Franklin's house, Michael's mansion when he is not around, Lester's house, etc. To perform this glitch, stand on the roof of the house or building the player wishes to enter and switch to another character and quickly switch back, and the player may spawn inside the house. This may take a few attempts, but the player must beware, as some interiors like the Vangelico store after The Jewel Heist or the Lifeinvader Building after Friend Request are not solid meaning that if the player glitches inside they will fall into Blue Hell for a few seconds and spawn somewhere nearby or rarely when the player spawns they die instantly. The only interior not compatible with this glitch is Trevor's trailer and if the player tries to glitch in it will spawn the player somewhere outside the trailer. (Tested on Xbox 360).
- Occasionally when loading quicksaves taken from when the character was driving, the vehicle will disappear, sending the player flying at the speed the vehicle was traveling.
- Sometimes, if the player had finished a friend activity, the friend will ask the player to take him/her to their destination. Simply enter a car and drive to their destination. But, when almost reaching the destination marker, speed up so the vehicle will overshoot the destination. If this is done correctly, a duplicate car (the car the player is driving) will appear in the same position as the destination marker and the friend will enter it.
- If this is done correctly when hanging out with other protagonists, it is also one of the ways to obtain other protagonists' special vehicles.
- In Michael's mansion, Michael's family members may be standing on furniture when he enter, and can actually clone themselves for unknown reasons. There will also sometimes be random NPCs walking around the grounds of Michael's mansion for no reason. This appears to only happen very early on in the game.
- If Michael does not buy a suit for the first heist and instead automatically obtains one by switching characters, the Ponsonbys store icon will permanently be on every character's HUD for the rest of the game.
- Strangely, the player can fire the Sawn-Off Shotgun while driving a Bus. This is widely believed to be a glitch, since this is the only large vehicle where this is possible, however this may have been intended due to the vehicle's large windows.
- Crashing through destructible objects, like fences and signs, and parking the vehicle in the spot where the object was will sometimes cause it to respawn through the vehicle when out of the player's line of sight. Re-entering the vehicle will dislodge both the vehicle and the object.
- If the player bails out of an airplane in mid-air and deploys a parachute, the airplane will continue flying in a straight path until it begins losing power and it starts going into an uncontrolled vertical descent. If the airplane continues flying far enough away from the player, the plane may freeze in mid-air and stay there until the player approaches it. This glitch seems to have been patched in 1.08, and it is not present in subsequent versions.
- Rarely if the player switches characters while driving at high speeds and switches back quickly the player will fall beneath the map and spawn back.
- There have been players reporting a glitch that happens during one of the Gauntlet modification mission for the the Union Depository Heist (Subtle Approach). One would be required to drive the Gauntlet requested for the mission into Los Santos Customs and purchase the "Gold Heist Preparation" mod (which costs $11,000), and fail the mission with the message of "The Required Mods Cannot Be Purchased Due To Insufficient Funds", regardless of the amount of cash that character is holding. See the video for the details. If the player chooses to "Retry" the mission after failing it, the glitch would repeat itself; however, if the player chooses to "Quit" the mission, the character would be spawn in the garage of Los Santos Customs, with the vehicle disappeared, and the $11,000 removed. Occasionally, restarting the game might fix the glitch, and it is still unknown why this glitch happens. There also have been reports stating that the player could have avoided such a glitch by having at least twice the amount of minimum cash required (which means $22,000) before pulling the car into the garage each time.
- When the patch 1.06 was released, along with the free Beach Bum pack, there was a glitch in single player when the player is given the SNS Pistol, the amount of stored ammunition in the pistols will revert to zero and the clip will leave six rounds. The cause of this glitch is unknown, but it probably had something to do with the amount of the pistol rounds' coding.
- Pistols can randomly lose their ammo counter, giving the player permanent unlimited ammo.
- Lifting a dump truck with a Cargobob may cause it to spin uncontrollably in mid-air.
- There is a rare and difficult to execute glitch wherein the game will 'freeze' in the satellite view. This glitch occurs if the player has Franklin and Trevor meet up before Franklin is told about Trevor at the end of Dead Man Walking. If Franklin runs over Trevor without killing him, Trevor will stand up and attempt to kill Franklin. Attempting to switch to Trevor at this point causes the glitch and 'freezes' the game in satellite view. It is not known if Trevor running over Franklin would elicit similar circumstances, nor is it known if there is a fix for this glitch.
- When driving the Rhino, if the player sticks the gun turret in the back of a Barracks, both vehicles may get flung with great force in opposite directions. However this was patched in 1.10.
- If one of the players damages his vehicle, simply switching to another character and then switching back to the previous character will repair the vehicle. This glitch can be quite helpful if the player doesn't have enough money to visit a Los Santos Customs to repair it.
- Many players have reported a glitch that disables the mission Uncalculated Risk from appearing on the map. It is unknown what factor of the game causes this, but it is quite problematic, since the mission is required for 100% completion. The mission is supposed to appear for Franklin after all the parachute missions are completed, but if the player completes the last parachute mission with any other player besides Franklin, the mission may not appear on the map. So far, there is no fix for this glitch.
- In the mission Fair Game, after Trevor kills the male elk from the "mating pair", Cletus will leave him to do the next kill alone. If Trevor leaves the area, it is possible to enter restricted areas such as Fort Zancudo, Bolingbroke Penitentiary and the Humane Labs and Research without receiving a wanted level. However, there will be no traffic in the roads, except for scripted traffic such as trucks or tractors. Be warned, however, if Trevor starts shooting then the wanted stars will appear. (UPDATE) When Trevor kills the last elk after Cletus leaves, when a marker appears on the body prompting the player to take a picture of it, if Trevor leaves, this time, there will be traffic. If Trevor dials 911 and waits for a police car to respond, he can steal the vehicle without getting any wanted level. If the player accelerates the vehicle immediately after stealing it, the police officer in the co-driver seat will stay inside, unless Trevor stops for longer than five seconds. He will then leave. Also, if an NPC commits a crime in the co-driver officer's view, he will use the police speaker and order them to pull over, or to stop the vehicle.
- While out of a mission, or hanging out with any of the main characters, there is an area in Mount Chiliad where the player is exempt from police attention. This area is the Altruist Cult and its surroundings. The only way to get a wanted level is to force it by using cheats. If the player dials 911 and waits for a police car to respond, they can shoot the police officers directly, punch them, blow them up, even the car. But if they try to steal the police cruiser while an officer is inside, they will receive a two-star wanted level. This is likely not a glitch, but a way to avoid police to come to the cult so the player can freely massacre its hostile and constantly spawning inhabitants. (Tested on PS3 while playing as Michael and as Trevor, as of 26/05/2014)
- If the player runs Jimmy De Santa over with a car when playing as Trevor, Trevor may speak in Michael's voice.
- Sometimes when Michael takes off his bicycle helmet in his house, it will turn into a motorcycle helmet. (Tested on Xbox 360)
- When playing The Bureau Raid, if Packie and Gustavo Mota are chosen as the gun crew (choosing the fire truck scenario) and the player kills them by destroying the fire truck, they will gain a copy of one of the crew members (usually Packie).
- A rare bug during the setup phase of The Bureau Raid (after having chosen the fire truck approach) will cause the game register a Bus as a fire truck, then place a waypoint marker to Lester's safehouse instructing the player to deliver the vehicle, despite it not being a fire truck. It is unknown if this bug occurs exclusively with the Bus, however, no matter what vehicle is delivered, the fire truck will still appear in the mission.
- Trying to hail an occupied cab might cause the protagonist's back to stick upright when walking and jogging (sprinting animation stays normal). It may also slightly glitch the player's arm positions, to the point where if the player aims his weapon, the weapon will be very clearly pointing in a different direction. This is a harmless but rather humorous glitch that looks extremely goofy on Trevor, since his jogging animation has him more hunched than Franklin and Michael.
- The Bus suffers from an unusual spawn glitch. If the player hijacks a bus and then exits it, and the player walks a few meters away from the bus (making sure the bus is out of the player's line of sight), if the player looks back at the bus, a conductor will suddenly spawn in the driver's seat, and will begin attempting to drive it away.
- Rarely, the player will be able to find a group of between three and five train cars rolling down any train track in the state without any engine car powering them. The train cars will be moving at a steady rate and will gradually get slower and slower until they stop completely. This is most likely a spawn glitch, where the game fails to spawn a train engine along with the train cars. This glitch may also occur in GTA Online.
- If the train cars come to a complete stop, sometimes another moving train may come from behind on the same track. When this happens, the moving train can be observed going right through the train cars.
- As of 1.13, the interactions menu has been added to story mode. If the player chooses an outfit which includes a hat (such has the Highway Patrol outfit), they can enter the interaction menu and chose a different hat then choose no hat and the helmet will disappear. This applies to Michael's Scuba Suit where the player can remove the snorkel or the hood (or both), the Security Suit, and the Highway Patrol outfit. Strangely enough, if the player tries this with the Stealth Suit, his hair will glitch through the mask (Applies to all characters). Franklin's Bugstar Exterminator outfit can have his hat removed. Trevor's Highway Patrol helmet can be removed, Security Suit helmet can be removed, and Dock Worker hat can be removed (the hat can also be placed onto any outfit the player desires through that menu).
- After patch 1.07, there was a massive glitch involving the custom license plates of player's personal vehicles in story mode. The license plates on the personal vehicles of players would change so that they would read "ALAN 0", with no explanation at all. This glitch would get applied to the protagonists' personal vehicles (such as Michael's Obey Tailgater), and it would also rarely get applied to any vehicle inside one of the player's safehouse garages. This glitch seemed to be more prevalent among players who have a GTA Online account, and have used the Rockstar Social Club application to change their online vehicle's license plate. It is unknown what factor of the game caused this glitch, but it appears to have been patched at the 1.09 update, as it is not present in subsequent versions.
- Before 1.06, if the player switches too many times, the player is unable to access the internet and the HUD becomes missing. This glitch will affect GTA Online. The player is also unable to save the game, switch into another character, etc. This glitch has not been patched, and the only way to fix this is restart the game storyline.
- This glitch will still affect the next patches ahead if the player already does this.
- When killing somebody and quickly going in to Herr Kutz Barber, sitting on the chair to get a haircut, and getting a Wanted Level after sitting on the chair, a glitch will occur. The player won't be able to move, and the player will notice that a pair of scissors is hanging in the air near the player's head. This will continue forever unless the player switches to another character. (Tested on PS3, playing as Michael, as of September 2014).
- Since most DLC updates feature new weapons, one or two protagonist(s) will lose their ammo, leaving only one remaining ammo round, although it has been fixed to stop losing ammo. Including:
- Beach Bum Pack/1.06: The protagonist will lose their pistols' ammo leaving one round remaining.
- Valentine's Day Massacre Special/1.10: The protagonist will lose their Light Machine Guns' ammo.
- The Business Update/1.11: The protagonist will lose their pistols' ammo again, as well as rifles.
- Independence Day Special/1.15: The protagonist will lose their sniper rifles' ammo.
- The Last Team Standing Update/1.17: The protagonist will lose both shotgun and sniper rifles' ammo.
- Occasionally, Los Santos Rock Radio, Radio Los Santos and Channel X may glitch and play songs from other stations after loading into story mode. This can be fixed by saving the game. (Confirmed ln PS4 when spawning as Franklin, 3rd February 2015)
- A glitch occurs where Michael may be seen sitting in the armchair outside Trevor's trailer following the mission Meltdown.
Grand Theft Auto Online
- It is possible to fall under the ocean in Grand Theft Auto Online, and gain the ability to walk under water on the seafloor. Some of these methods have been patched. This glitch has been noted to occur rarely when the server is extremely crowded, and this glitch was reported frequently in the early weeks of GTA Online's release, when there were many software bugs that needed to be worked out by game developers.
- The train's main cabin can be entered by standing on the hood and then eating or drinking any snack (this can be activated from the inventory menu). When the player is about to throw it away, pause the game, and they should spawn inside the cab. This may take a few attempts. The walls are not solid, but the player can place Sticky Bombs in the cab, and blow the train up, stopping it.
- Similarly, if the player stands on the nose of the train (the level just lower than the top of the main cabin and in front of its forward windows), face the cabin and tap towards the cabin as the train moves it will consistently glitch the player into the cabin.
- When racing in a point to point race in Grand Theft Auto Online, the game may ocassionally register the player as being in first place each time they pass a checkpoint, even if they are in last place.
- The player can invite players into their job's lobby, even if they are already present.
- NPC-driven cars can appear and disappear out of thin air randomly due to networking and/or streaming issues.
- NPC-driven cars can randomly start to drive recklessly and become glitched. This is due to network issues within the servers.
- If the player gets run over by the glitched vehicle, they will use the older physics engine instead of ragdoll animations.
- If the player is killed after landing successfully within the target area in a Parachute Jump, they may register as DNF (Did Not Finish) on the scoreboard, even though the player technically landed.
- If the player owns a personal vehicle that Simeon desires, when they drive out of their garage they will immediately gain a two-star wanted level.
- The Carbine Rifle will randomly stop making noise, allowing the player to essentially become 100% silent. When firing, the player will no longer show up on the radar and sprinting will not make any noise while it is equipped.
- It was possible to get to North Yankton in GTA Online. This video demonstrates this method. However, this glitch has been patched by Rockstar in Patch 1.08. However, it is still possible to reach North Yankton after Patch 1.08 by repeating the same steps, but instead of following the steps in the "Prologue" mission, the player must do them in "Bury the Hatchet". Then the player must accept the friend invite to GTA Online when Michael has reached North Yankton. North Yankton should be in the bottom-right corner of the map (south of Elysian Island), floating in mid-air. This method was also patched after the 1.10 patch.
- It is possible to buy the special vehicles that come with the Collector's Edition of GTA V. e.g. the Hotknife. The method of doing this glitch can be seen here.
- This glitch has now been patched.
- Strangely, the player can only store nine land vehicles in a ten-car garage.
- This has been patched.
- Since patch 1.07, the first car slot in any ten-car garage can randomly lose insurance.
- This was fixed in the 1.10 patch.
- Since patch 1.08, if the player scrolls past the Cornrows hair style, they will have permanent cornrow tattoos on their head. These cannot be removed by any means. Strangely, they do not appear in mirrors and can go away after extended play. This was fixed in the 1.10 patch.
- Putting on a mask can make the player character bald until they change their hairstyle. This has been patched along with many glitches in 1.10 patch, but a small chance of the glitch happening once again (confirmed on the PS3 version).
- Random pedestrians may occasionally spawn in the player's safehouse, using props that aren't there and bumping into walls and furniture. They cannot be killed, but if the player approaches them, they may become aggressive and beat the player to death since the player cannot fight inside an apartment. This glitch has been patched.
- If the player invites another player to their apartment, another pedestrian will spawn; although, this time, the pedestrian will spawn inside of the other pedestrian.
- If a Session Timeout error occurs during online play, you will be sent back to story mode and may spawn in that location where the error occurred with one of the protagonists. This can result in spawning in places that are inaccessible during story mode, such as online safehouses, where random pedestrians can also spawn.
- If another player destroys the player's personal vehicle but cannot pay the insurance in full, then the owner is forced to pay for it, minus whatever was taken from their bank. This can be exploited by emptying the player's bank account and destroying other players' vehicles, forcing them to pay the full charges. This has been patched in the 1.14 update.
- As of 21 April 2014, the Content Creator was taken down due to a very serious glitch involving leaving the content creator mid-use, going to the story and reentering online play. This would freeze the player's bank account, allowing free purchases of any item in game.
- Occasionally, after the player finishes using an ATM, they will become frozen in place, and will not be able to move out from in front of the ATM machine.
- A player must have a friend steal a random four-door car from an NPC, and then get into the backseat of the same car. If the NPC is aggressive, he will open the driver's door, drag the other player out, and then get in the driver's seat. After this, the NPC will begin driving the vehicle around the city with the player's character in the back seat.
- If the player is in a police vehicle with the sirens on and the player taps the horn rapidly, sometimes, it will desync and it will make no noise and only the lights will flash, though other players in the session will be able to hear the sirens. In singleplayer, it also happens with the same method.
- This has now been patched
- There was once a glitch in which the player was able to sell as many cars as they wished through Los Santos Customs. However, it has since been patched in subsequent versions.
- After dying, any Grenade Launcher ammunition that the player had will become lost. As of the 1.16 patch update.
- This has now been patched
- Since 1.15, when calling Pegasus for a land vehicle, it may spawn at the Vespucci Police Station. When the player approaches it, it will then move to Fort Zancudo (if the player requests it in a three-gang territory or in Elysian Island).
- This glitch has been patched.
- Sometimes, NPCs will continue screaming even after they have been killed, usually after a headshot or after having been burnt to death.
- Rarely, when a player has entered one of their vehicles in a garage, they will instantly glitch out of the car. This affects every car in the garage.
- During the Rooftop Rumble mission after all the Professionals are killed, the A Document Has Been Dropped Message will appear. The documents may not even spawn and the mission will fail because the documents were "destroyed", even though they didn't even spawn. The mission may also fail with the Out of Lives message, even if one or more players are still alive.
- As of the 1.16 patch update, this glitch hasn't been patched.
- Since the 1.16 update, regardless of the pattern of the parachute bag, it will always turn to that of the USA flag when on the floor.
- This glitch has been patched.
- If the player drinks at least five bottles of beer (or until they get drunk), and then loads up a job from their job list but then immediately withdraws, the player will continue to show the effects of being drunk (shaky camera, clumsy player, etc.) and this may last the entire session. The only way to stop these effects is to die, or to quit and join a new server.
- If the player has the 'Pure Black' window tint after Patch 1.17, the windows will be transparent in Los Santos Customs, but will become opaque when the player exits.
- Since 1.17, if the player failed to join a job sent by another player and returns to their previous session, the markers will disappear and the player will unable to enter their safehouses or garages.
- The Cop Outfit could be obtained in free roam from Prison Break - Station using a glitch.
- It could also be obtained in Hasta La Vista and Siege Mentality.
- This glitch also worked with other Heists-specific outfits, such as the Bugstars outfit and the Garbage Collector outfit.
- This glitch has been patched in the 1.23 (Xbox 360/PlayStation 3)/1.09 (Xbox One/PlayStation 4) update, though it is still possible to wear the outfit if the player has previously performed the glitch prior to the patch and is still wearing it, or has saved it as a Player Saved Outfit.
- If the player is using Night Vision and disconnects into story mode, there is a chance the Night Vision won't deactivate when entering single player.
- Re-entering GTA online should fix this.
Multiple Grand Theft Auto Games
Disappearing Vehicle Glitch
The Disappearing Vehicle glitch is prevalent in all of the 3D Universe games and occasionally in HD Universe games. If the player parks a car near any mission marker, and then walks into the marker to trigger the mission cutscene and starts the mission, there is a high chance that the vehicle they parked will have disappeared after the cutscene. This glitch occurs when the mission cutscene somehow interferes with the space taken up by the parked vehicle, so the game gets rid of the vehicle altogether. This glitch occurs occasionally in GTA III and GTA San Andreas, but it is very frequent in GTA Vice City, GTA Vice City Stories, and GTA Liberty City Stories, where the vehicles the player takes to mission markers almost always disappear after the cutscene. GTA IV has a system implemented into it, where, instead of "getting rid" of the vehicle, the game just moves it somewhere else, like across the street or a few yards away from where the player left it, so it does not interfere with the cutscene. Occasionally in GTA LCS, the player may park a car somewhere and do something else (a mission for example), and the car won't despawn like normal; it will take a very long time to disappear. This only seems to happen on Staunton Island and was tested in the PSP version. In GTA V, vehicles have been known to disappear from the player's garage after leaving them there, however the glitch seems to have been patched in subsequent versions. In GTA Online, the vehicle may disappear after entering and using and Ammunation store; This happens the most often with helicopters.
If a large number of vehicles explode over the course of a few seconds, their burnt wrecks may disappear suddenly if they leave the player's line of sight. While this is considered a glitch, it is actually a game mechanic; the game engine de-spawns them so it doesn't have to process so many on-screen vehicles at once.
Car Spawn Glitch
In all of the 3-D Grand Theft Auto games, there is a specific glitch that occurs, in which the player is driving at a normal speed in any car on any road, and then looks behind when the "Look Back" button is pressed. When the button is released, and the camera returns to look forward, there will be several cars driving on the road in front of him that weren't there before the player initially looked back, and also de-spawning cars which were actually coming towards the player before (e.g. in the other lane). This happens because the game is designed to spawn cars wherever the camera isn't looking. If the player looks back, the game will spawn cars in front of them. Possibly because of a modified game engine, this glitch is not present in Grand Theft Auto V.
In most of the 3D and HD era games, there is a certain glitch in the game which causes many of the same car model to spawn together driving on the road. This glitch seems to be more prevalent in games that are heavily modded or with many cheats, as this may unintentionally alter the vehicle's spawn rates. However, it is unknown what factor of the game causes this.