Types Of Mods
There are a lot of Mods available in GTA IV, probably because the flexibility of the RAGE engine and the modders creativity. But commonly, you can divide the mods into a few different types:
Text Base Mod
Players say that this is the first mod ever released in Grand Theft Auto IV, since they are easily edited by Text Editor Applications such as Notepad. Mods that includes to these types are:
- weapondata.xml mod - This mod usually changes the specification of the weapon, such as rate of fire, damage of the weapon, the number of ammo carried, etc.
- timecyc.dat mod - This mod usually changes the weather in Grand Theft Auto IV, such as the number of clouds in one time, brightness, weather saturation, etc.
- handling.dat, vehicle.dat, and carcols.dat mod - This mod usually changes the specification of the car, handling.dat is for the handling, carcols.dat is for the car colours, and vehicle.dat is for the characteristic of the car, like Anims, Game Name, Dirt Level, etc. In the early years of IV modding, this is only for editing the default car. But now it usually used with a Car mod.
- gta.dat, images.txt mod - This is a newer mod, usually used with a Map Mod
Modders edit .dat, .txt or .xml files for Text Base Mod.
After a few months or maybe even years in Grand Theft Auto modding, one player invented the application to unwrap .img files that used to archived some core file in Grand Theft Auto IV. This invention made an opportunity for players to edit Grand Theft Auto IV even more. Texture Mods are basically made by replacing one texture in GTA IV with a re-edited one.
Modders edit .wtd files for texture modding and usually use Photoshop or Corel as an edit application. Usually players who are new to modding do Texture Mods before doing any other type of mod.
Model ModsThis type of mod is still continuing now and is one of the most famous types of mod. Modders edit .wdr, .wft or .wdd for the Model Mods and .wtd for the textures. This type of mod is divided to the more specific mod types like:
- Weapon Mod: These change the default weapon to a modded weapon
- Car Mod: These change the default car to a modded car
- Player Mod: These change the player into another character
Even though this type of mod is really famous, only expert modders can successfully use a model mod. This is because it demands 3D skill, include texturing the model and converting it to a GTA IV look.
This mod is pretty similar to the Model Mod, but it adds to or edits the map of Grand Theft Auto IV. Usually modders use 3DS Max as an edit tool for this kind of mod and they edit .wdr for the model, .wbn for collision and .wtd for textures. For the installation, you need to change gta.dat and images.txt to make the mod appear. The size of this mod is relative. The small map mod can be 5-20 MB of file. The larger one can reaches 300 MB.
The default graphics in Grand Theft Auto IV are pretty gloomy and yellow-ish. Some people don't like it, so modders try to use Graphic Mods. Firstly, the Graphic Mod is just timecyc (Weather) mod, it can remove the yellow-ish bug and can make the graphics become much better than it normally is.
This is where Russian Modder Boris Vorontsov comes in with his extraordinary mod, ENB. It was a "major breakthrough" in Grand Theft Auto IV modding history, because it showed us the true potential of the RAGE engine. The ENB can make the graphics in GTA IV a lot better.
As time passed, modders edited some of the default files in ENB to make it even better, like editing textures, editing visualsettings.dat, effects, etc.
The current version of ENB is v0.135 and is still in its developing stage.
Modders who work on this type of mod have must have great programming skills like knowledge of the .vb Programming language.
One of the famous mods of this type is Simple Native Trainer, it helps players do many things; like spawn cars, use a mission select, have an Object Spawner, Time changer, etc. There is also another mod like ELS that help us to make a sirens glow in modded cars. Then there is EPM to make some parts in the car, like spoilers move. Left 4 Liberty makes a zombie invasion come to Liberty City and the recent one is Air Combat IV, which makes it so players can fly an airplane.
Before installing a Script Mod, you have to install ASI Loader and Scripthook to make the script mod work.
There are some requirements to make some mods work. You can download these from various sites.
Patch is really needed to run some of the mods. The difference of the version of the patch can make the results of the mod become different.
For example, ENB runs great mostly on patch 184.108.40.206 yet has a weird bug called Red Sky Bug which makes the sky turn redThis is in 220.127.116.11 or in EFLC. However Boris, the maker of the ENB is trying to make an ENB with all versions compitable. Or in another example, the LCPDFR script mod, which can make us work as the LCPD, is not compitable in patch 18.104.22.168 and only supports the latest patch.
Mod readySome players can't run mods because their Grand Theft Auto IV is not for modding, but now there's a patch to
make GTA IV become Moddable.
Mod Installer Application
Some mods, especially Model mods, are requiring a Mod installer application in order to be installed. You can use either SparkIV or OpenIV to do this job. It takes some habituation to be able to use this application. However, it's a short term habituation and you can habituate the application in just a short amount of time.
Script mods usually demand you to install ASI Loader and Scripthook.dll first to get the mod to work.
To make a mod work, you may need to install some Applications or Utilitys to your OS like DotNet' Framework 4.0', Directx9, etc.
Solution for bugs and disavantage of the modsSome mods produce Bugs and even errors to Grand Theft Auto IV. Below is a few bugs and there solutions.
- 'Do not park modded cars in a garage, it can make an error SMPA60.
- If you use AntiAliasing in ENB, your screen will be cut, don't panic. Just hit enter when the menu screen appears. This is the best solution.
- Do not use ENB if your specs are low, if you play GTA IV and it really lags, then don't use ENB because it can make your FPS suck.
- Some script mods will make the game get an error. Don't forget to back up your file!
- Some mods can ruin your Save Game. Do not save the game while using some scripts like Left4Liberty.
- Some errors can be caused by mods. Don't forget to remember what the last mod was that you installed.
- ENB can cause the No Texture Bug, lower you resolution or ENB/game quality or you can use commandline
- Read me before installing, can make you understand what you are about to install
- If you caught an error you don't understand, you can always search it in the search engine