- "Complete your look with a Prohibition gun. Looks great sticking out the window of a Roosevelt or paired with a pinstripe suit."
- ―GTA V description on the Rockstar Games Social Club.
The Gusenberg Sweeper is a Light Machine Gun that is available in Grand Theft Auto V, and was available in Grand Theft Auto Online as a temporary weapon from the 13th to the end of February 2014 in the Valentine's Day Massacre Special pack.
It is based on the .45 ACP M1928A1 Thompson Submachine Gun (popularly known as the Tommy Gun), which is famous for its role in 1920s gangster culture. The stock is derived from the later M1 & M1A1 Thompson, used during World War II. The Gusenberg Sweeper is fitted with a drum magazine, which is also common in mobster movies. The wooden handguard and stock are noticeably discoloured due to wear and tear.
Despite being a submachine gun, it is classed as a light machine gun in-game.
Even though it is classed as a light machine gun in-game, its handling traits are closer to a submachine gun (much like its real life counterpart) than other in-game LMGs.
The Gusenberg Sweeper's biggest advantages are its fire rate and damage per shot. It fires at 555 RPM, which is close to the fire rate of the AP Pistol and the Combat MG, and deals 34 damage per shot, being on par with assault rifles. It outclasses all other SMGs in damage per shot and fire rate. This puts the weapon in terms of damage-per-second among the best submachine guns to use.
Accuracy is quite poor and the range of automatic aiming is shorter, comparable to that of other SMGs. It has a larger spread than other submachine guns. This makes the Gusenberg Sweeper ineffective at long range.
A bizarre trait for a MG is the mag capacity. A stock magazine only holds 30 rounds, and it can be upgraded to 50 rounds. This mag capacity is mediocre for an LMG, and due to the high fire rate, it isn't uncommon to be caught in reloads during a firefight. It is then advised to purchase Extended Clip.
Another downside of the weapon is the attachments selection. It can only mount Extended Clip, unlike other SMGs/MGs. This mean the player cannot upgrade its stats, limiting its effectiveness.
Compared to other MGs, besides the mag capacity, it has a better fire rate but lower damage than the standard MG. The Combat MG completely outclasses it, having higher damage per shot, accuracy and mag capacity.
In conclusion, the Gusenberg Sweeper should be treated as a submachine gun more than a light machine gun. It is quite ineffective at long range due to the lack of accuracy and attachments, and its low mag capacity make it unpractical to use. However, at medium and close ranges, it is a very effective weapon, having a high damage per shot, akin to assault rifles, and a high fire rate.
|Rate of fire
(Rounds per minute)
(Time taken to reload)
|Damage per shot||Effective range|
Upon downloading the 1.10 patch, when story mode is loaded, the gun is available for purchase at Ammu-Nation for free. It will be automatically be in the player's weapon inventory. In Grand Theft Auto Online, it was available for purchase in Ammu-Nation for $14,150[ ].
At the beginning of March 2014, it was removed from Ammu-Nation stores. Those who purchased the weapon still have access to it and can continue to buy attachments and ammo.
After downloading patch 1.11 a bug would remove the gun from the inventory of online players as well as the store. Rockstar later patched the bug.
Subsequent patches have prevented Online players from dropping the weapon.
- Default Clip
- Extended Clip
- Black tint - Equipped by default
- Army tint
- Green tint
- Orange tint
- LSPD tint
- Pink tint
- Gold tint
- Platinum tint
- The Gusenberg Sweeper is named after contract killer Frank Gusenberg, who was a victim of the Saint Valentine's Day massacre. Gusenberg, along with six other people, was killed by an M1928A1 Thompson.
- The Sweeper element of the gun's name makes direct reference to a popular name for the Thompson Submachine Gun; "Trench sweeper".
- Despite being chambered in .45, it ejects rifle cartridges of similar diameter to that fired by the MG and Combat MG.
- Whether Extended Clip is equipped or not, the Gusenberg Sweeper always has a drum magazine. In real life, 20 rounds would be held in a box magazine, although 30 round drums do exist.
- According to the stat window, it has a superior range than all the Assault rifles in the game. However the range of automatic aiming is much shorter than that of assault rifles.
- The Gusenberg Sweeper looks very similar if not the same as the Chicago Piano from L.A. Noire sharing the M1A1 mixed with the M1928A1 design.
- Though the Ammu-Nation description says that "it looks great sticking out the window of a Roosevelt", it cannot be used from inside a vehicle. It can, however, be used while hanging off the side of a Roosevelt.