Haitian gang members in Little Haiti
|Games:||Grand Theft Auto: Vice City|
|Type:||Haitian-American street gang|
Patrol Invest Group
|Fronts:||Haitian Drug Factory|
The Haitians are a street gang in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. They are the main rivals of the Cubans, and they vie for control of the poorer neighborhoods of Vice City (Little Haiti and Little Havana).
Auntie Poulet, the leader, gives Tommy Vercetti mind-altering drugs to make him use less-than-honest tactics in their war against the Cubans. Vercetti spurred by his friendship with the Cubans, massacres members of the Haitian gang and completely destroys their large drug manufacturing plant (killing many more members in the process), thereby severing all ties with Poulet and the gang. After this, the Haitians become openly hostile to Vercetti and later his gang members. The Haitians do not appear in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories, meaning they became active in the city sometime between 1984 and 1986.
Haitian gang members are seen wearing either blue shirts (reading RELAX), white pants and baseball caps, silver sunglasses, or light purple sleeveless shirts, jeans and blue bandanas.
After the mission Trojan Voodoo, the Haitians will attack you whenever you are in their territory (Little Haiti). The gang will appear with pistols, or sometimes just fighting with their fists just like the other gangs.
Haitian-American discrimination controversy
The third version of GTA Vice City had all references to the Haitian people removed, (along with a number of other trademarks), in response to Cuban and Haitian groups in the United States, who threatened to use action against Rockstar Games, on the basis that they were being discriminated against. A Haitian organization in the US against racial oppression was highly offended by the comments used in the game, such as when Vercetti is ordered to "shoot the Haitian dickheads". Because of this, the word 'Haitian' was taken out of the game's subtitles and they were simply referred to as 'Gangsters'.
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
- Guardian Angels
- Two Bit Hit
- Cannon Fodder
- Naval Engagement
- Dirty Lickin's
- Trojan Voodoo
- Trial By Dirt (Third time onwards)
- The Haitians are most likely designed as Zoe Pound which is a active Haitian gang that's situated in Florida, in-game's Vice City and both gangs in game or real life have a strong believe in voodoo magic.
- The outfit worn by Haitian gang members is another of GTA Vice City's numerous references to the TV series Miami Vice—their clothes are based on a prominent extra seen in the show's pilot episode, in the scene where Ricardo Tubbs first arrives at Miami International Airport. The clothing worn by the Haitian's rivals, the Cubans, is based on another extra walking alongside the first.
- In The Well Stacked Pizza Co. branch in Little Haiti, there is a Haitian gang member that spawns in the kitchen facing the cooker as if he's helping out. Perhaps community service or an alloted job from the Vice City Police Department, or simply just a pedestrian model. This individual gangster is not hostile to you in any way even after the collapse of the Haitians factory. He also does not attack you if you shoot him.
- The baseball cap wearing variant of the Haitian gang member featured an ironed-on depiction of the infamous "I Want YOU for the U.S. Army" poster on his shirt during development of GTA Vice City  before the game's developer settled on using a plain white "RELAX" text instead.
- The RELAX t-shirt might be also a reference to the famous song Relax by Frankie Goes To Hollywood, which was heavily influential in the mid-80's. The song was later featured in GTA: Vice City Stories in Wave 103 radio station.
- The favorite radio stations of the Haitians are Flash FM and Fever 105.
- A restaurant in Star Junction is named after the Haitians. As well as a business near the Dukes Boulevard Station in East Island City.
- It is very likely that the Haitians were replaced by the Cholos in Vice City Stories due of the racial controversies stated above, considering the Cholo turf is still named Little Haiti but with absolutely no presence of Haitian people.