Hating the Haters
Niko is required to follow Bernie Crane as he jogs but must also maintain a distance from Bernie. In this scene, Niko is too close.
|Game:||Grand Theft Auto IV|
|Location:||Ivy Drive South in Middle Park West, Algonquin|
|Conditions of mission failure:||Player character dies|
Bernie Crane killed
|Unlocked by:||Weekend at Florian's|
- "Every time I go out jogging, and doing aerobics or playing ultimate disc, some hater comes up and threatens me. He's loco!"
- ―Bernie Crane.
Niko arrives at Bernie's apartment after receiving an urgent call from him. Bernie tells Niko that there is a homophobic man who keeps threatening Bernie. Bernie fears going outside now and feels like he's a prisoner in his own home. As a result, Niko wants to help Bernie by confronting with this man by luring him out as Bernie does his regular jogging in Middle Park, and drives him to the park.
After Bernie does some stretching, he jogs along a path while Niko is required to keep a distance behind to ensure the homophobe appears. As Bernie jogs under a bridge, the homophobe is found to be hiding behind the bridge and hits Bernie in the crotch with a baseball bat. Niko comes along and wants the man to pick on him instead, which translates to the player being required to kill the homophobe. If the player is unable to kill the target swiftly, the man will acquire a parked Faggio and flee, forcing the player to steal another parked Faggio and give chase in a pursuit that predominantly takes place within the borders of Middle Park. Once Niko kills the man, Bernie is so happy that he doesn't have to worry anymore and wants Niko to drive him to Perseus in The Exchange.
In order to complete the mission the player must:
- Take Bernie to Middle Park
- Follow Bernie as he jogs, but keep your distance
- Take down the hater
- Pick up Bernie
- Take Bernie to Perseus in The Exchange
- Bernie's homophobe - Killed by Niko for hating on Bernie..
- There is a rare unlocked Comet parked outside Bernie's apartment at the start of this mission. The player may park this Comet at a safehouse for safekeeping, and continue the mission in another car. In some cases the Comet is available in a very unusual dark grey color which appears red in certain angles, more specifically in the bumpers and skirts.
- A Carmen look-a-like can be seen with another man, but this is not Carmen, as if this look-a-like is killed, it will not affect Niko's relationship with Carmen. She appears to only share a similar model to Carmen's.
- The homophobe and his attacks on gay joggers is mentioned in the Liberty City Tree and Weazel News websites at some point in the game.
- Bernie is immune to any damage (excluding player inflicted damage, such as shooting him) until you get to Middle Park and trigger the cutscene. He will also defend you if you're being attacked.
- Oddly enough, shooting Bernie in the legs does not impede on his jogging ability, he will continue to perpetuate the jogging animation.
- If you lag behind Bernie, he will wait for you to catch up to him via busying himself with stretches.
- If you're fast enough, you can kill the homophobe while he's riding away on the Middle Park Bridge, which makes you skip the Faggio chase.
- Presumably the presence of the "Faggio" scooter is an innuendo on Bernie's homosexuality and the homophobe that appears in the mission.
- If you go to Bernie's apartment between 10pm and 4am, he will not be available.
- One of the Faggio that player stole belongs to the two pedestrians that are chatting near it. One of them may grab onto the motorcycle while it is moving.
- If you try to drive a vehicle inside Middle Park to follow Bernie jogging, the following message will be displayed: "Exit the vehicle. Driving inside the park draws too much attention." If you continue to drive inside Middle Park, eventually the mission will fail.