|Appearance(s):||Grand Theft Auto V|
Grand Theft Auto Online
|Weapon type:||Sniper Rifle|
|Damage:||216 (per shot)|
|Ammunition capacity:||6 rounds per magazine|
|Manufacturer:||Vom Feuer (GTA V)|
|Unlocked After:||Three's Company (GTA V)|
Rank 90 (GTA Online)
- "Features armor-piercing rounds for heavy damage. Comes with laser scope as standard."
- ―GTA V description on the Rockstar Games Social Club.
The weapon is based on the high caliber Barrett M82 rifle, more specifically the M107. The in-game model appears to have ten round magazines. Unlike the M82 rifle family, the heavy sniper features an elevated picatinny rail instead of having it integrated into the handguard. The model has a large muzzle brake, which appears to be from the M82A3/ M107, slightly altered however. The stock is also altered slightly from that of the M82A3.
Contrary to the appearance of the ten round magazine on the model, magzines have a capacity of six rounds (as opposed to ten for the standard sniper rifle), but with a higher rate of fire (although the fire rate is much slower than the Combat Sniper from the previous games). Thanks to the employment of .50 BMG cartridges, the heavy sniper is capable of very high damage per round, and is able to one-hit kill players in the chest up to rank 99. The Heavy Sniper is also able to do heavy damage to vehicles, being able to destroy the tail rotor of an helicopter in two shots.
- Advanced Scope - Equipped by default
- Thermal Scope (missions only; compatible with any of the two other scopes)
- The Heavy Sniper comes with an Advanced Scope as standard.
- Due to an oversight, replacing the advanced scope with the standard scope is free, but equipping back the advanced scope for the first time costs money.
- The Heavy Sniper appears in Max Payne 3, another Rockstar game.
- Due to an oversight, the sound of bolt being cycled can be heard after every shot, despite the weapon (as well as its real life counterpart) being semi-automatic. This is not heard when firing without aiming while in third person or first person, however.
- This may suggest that the Heavy Sniper was originally to be a bolt-action rifle.
- A Heavy Sniper is used by Franklin during Three's Company. He uses it to snipe the IAA agents in the building. During that mission, the sniper has an increased zoom to allow the player to shoot the IAA agents with more precision. It will remain in his inventory after completing the mission.
- Oddly, the HUD incorrectly shows the scope's position. The in-game model places the scope at the start of the rail, just over the magazine. This has been fixed in later patches and in the enhanced versions of the game, though.