|This article is about the uncontrollable helicopters in Grand Theft Auto III, for other helicopters, see Helicopter (disambiguation).|
A helicopter named simply as Helicopter, or by its internal name, Escape, is an aircraft in Grand Theft Auto III.
The helicopter is essentially a civilian variant of Grand Theft Auto III's police helicopter (also unnamed). The helicopter is colored white, and lacks the gunner, the spotlight, and the loudspeaker of the police helicopter. Sharing the same body design as the police helicopter, the helicopter is assumed to be also based on the Bell 205.
This helicopter is featured in only one mission, "The Exchange", where is it used by Catalina to flee from the Cartel Mansion in Cedar Grove to Cochrane Dam. While it departs from the front of mansion compound, the player is instructed to reach the helicopter's destination at the dam.
As the player pushes through the dam towards Catalina, Catalina reenters the helicopter and uses it to drop explosives on the dam in an attempt to kill the player. However, like the police helicopter, Catalina's helicopter can be shot down the same way: with a rocket launcher or a powerful gun.
Also the helicopter is not solid, and only is solid when it comes into contact with a weapon, much like the police helicopter.
- The helicopter can be reached by using the flying cars cheat and using the Rhinos turret to reach it. However, when the player tries to enter it, Claude will walk around in circles. The reason for this is because the helicopter wasn't intended for players to reach and theres no area to open the door. It's not solid, and even using a cheat to blow it up won't work. It's only able to be blown up after the player reaches the chopper via the normal method.
- One of its textures reads LCPD POLICE and K638LC, the same words found on the LCPD Helicopter.
- The texture of the helicopter appears in Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories's files, meaning the helicopter was going to appear in the game, but its successor replaced it like in other future games, as a controllable vehicle.
- Some static, unobtainable helicopters do exist in the city's airport, probably, referencing the helicopter.
- Like remote controlled vehicles and the police variant of the helicopter, spawning it will make it fall into the ground and remain unenterable, just like the static helicopters in the city's airport, but unlike the Police variant the color will change to black, as defined in the game's files.
- The helicopter shares the same handling line and modified textures with the Police variant.