In The Air Tonight
Reni on her fourth sex change.
|Game:||Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories|
|Location:||Ocean View Hospital, Ocean Beach|
|Conditions of mission failure:||Wasted|
|Unlocks:||Light My Pyre|
|Unlocked by:||So Long Schlong|
Domo Arigato Domestoboto
Lost and Found
- Phil: "Everything's good. I think. Unless Barry's got any more surprises in store."
- Barry: "Hold on, mucker. You are gonna have to stop giving me a hard time."
- Phil: "OK. No worries. You stop making people try to have me killed and I'll stop complaining about it."
- — Phil Collins discusses his recent mob troubles with his manager Barry Mickelthwaite
In the Air Tonight is the last mission in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories given to protagonist Victor Vance by avant garde film director Reni Wassulmaier from the Ocean View Hospital in Ocean Beach, Vice City.
Reni has got her fourth sex change and Phil Collins is going to perform his concert. Victor arrives at the hospital in Ocean Beach and is asked by Reni, if he can drive her to the Escobar International Airport because she is now wanted dead by the Mendez Cartel.
Victor takes Reni to the airport terminal avoiding Diego Mendez's goons. Victor quickly drives over to the Hyman Memorial Stadium in Downtown to fight off anybody trying to panic during Phil Collins' concert.
Upon arriving, Phil's manager Barry Mickelthwaite states his fear from Giorgio Forelli's hitmen who will likely try to do something. Victor heads further inside the stadium and spots someone trying to destroy the light-rigs. Victor, forced to leave his guns outside the stadium, fights off every hitman with his fists and Phil successfully manages to perform his concert. Upon the end, Barry states that he has to pay Giorgio the money he owes in order to stop risking his life.
In order to complete the mission the player must:
- Take Reni to the airport
- Get to Phil's concert at the Stadium
- They're cutting a cable! Stop them
- They're cutting a cable! Stop them
Upon completing the mission you'll get $3,000 and you can purchase a ticket for Phil Collins' concert by paying $6,000 at the stadium anytime. The concert is the complete uninterrupted performance of "In the Air Tonight" without the Vic combat sections.
- The mission's name is an obvious reference to Phil Collins' hit song, In the Air Tonight, which plays at his concert.
- Even though Reni has received a sex change to become a woman, she still retains the walking and idling animations of a man.
- The Forelli hitmen tearing the light-rigs are dressed like members of the Mendez Cartel.
- As with So Long Schlong, the first part of the mission (driving Reni to the airport) is made safer if you've purchased all the Empire Building sites, rendering the vehicles that spawn outside bulletproof, and transfer Reni into one before heading to the airport.
- If you look carefully. the guitarist is wearing a Rockstar shirt.
- If you adjust the brightness in the settings or TV to the highest, at the end of the concert, you'll notice that the stadium is empty.
- The guitar the guitarist is using appears to be a Gibson SG, while the bassist appears to be using a Fender Precision Bass.
- During the concert, two large pictures of the cover from Phil Collins' album No Jacket Required can be seen in the background. However, the song "In The Air Tonight" is actually from his previous album Face Value. Moreover, No Jacket Required was released in 1985, which is actually a year after the mission is taking place.
- Any vehicle that the attackers will enter is going to change color to black. This can be used to change color of vehicles that do not change their color such as the Taxi, Forklift or Splitz-6 ATV.