|Republic of Ireland
|Anthem: Amhrán na bhFiann
|Official language(s)||Irish, English|
|-||President||Michael D. Higgins|
|Establishment||11 December 1931|
|-||estimate||4,593,100 (as of 2013)|
Ireland (Irish: Éire) is an island in Northern Europe located to the west of Great Britain. It is split into two territories; the independent Republic of Ireland, which covers approximately five-sixths of the island, and Northern Ireland in the north-east, which remains part of the United Kingdom.
Although for many years ruled by the English, and later the British, Ireland joined the Kingdom of Great Britain to form the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland in 1801 after the Acts of Union. Following unrest during the early 20th century, Ireland proclaimed independence which was quashed by the British government. In 1921, the country was split into two territories, the Catholic-predominant Southern Ireland and the Protestant-predominant Northern Ireland, although both remained part of the United Kingdom. A year later in 1922, the British and Irish governments settled on the creation of the independent Irish Free State. Originally, the newly formed state covered the entire island but Northern Ireland exercised its right to rejoin the union a few days after independence. The Free State still retained the monarchy and was a Dominion of the British Empire until 1937, when a new constitution saw a newly elected head of state replace the King, and the Republic of Ireland officially renamed Ireland. In 1949, the British government formally recognised the Irish president as an official head of state.
Ireland in the Grand Theft Auto Series
GTA San Andreas
- The Emerald Isle casino in Las Venturas takes its name from the popular nickname for the island.
- Boxer Fraser Ashley hails from Ireland.
- The McReary Family, as well as their crime affiliates Michael Keane and Gordon Sargent, originate from Ireland.
- Steinway Beer Garden and Lucky Winkles are Irish-themed pubs found in Liberty City.
- Most of the northwestern neighborhoods in Dukes have Irish influences.
- The Celebinator may also be from Ireland.
- Patrick McReary returns from GTA IV as a recruitable heist member.
- The Irish flag is one of the flags hoisted outside the Jetsam Terminal.
- Brother Adrian, leader of the Children of the Mountain cult, is Irish.
- The San Andreas Flight School Update added an Ireland Chute Bag in the game.
- Michael De Santa is possibly of Irish descent because he has many Irish-themed tattoos available. Michael's birth surname (Townley) is of Celtic origin. He also has green eyes and drinks whiskey, which are both common Irish traits.
- Ireland is mentioned on the Chakra Attack show on West Coast Talk Radio when the presenters discuss potato water.