|Republic of Ireland
|Official language(s)||Irish, English|
Ireland (Irish: Éire) is an island in Northern Europe, to the west of Great Britain. It is split into two territories; the independent Republic of Ireland (officially known as Ireland) which covers approximately two thirds of the island and Northern Ireland in the north-east, which forms part of the United Kingdom.
Although for many years ruled by the English, and later the British, Ireland joined the Kingdom of Great Britain to form the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland in 1801 after the Acts of Union. Following unrest during the early 20th century, Ireland proclaimed independence which was quashed by the British government. In 1921, the country was split into two, the Catholic-predominant Southern Ireland and the Protestant-predominant Northern Ireland, although they both remained part of the UK. A year later in 1922, the British and Irish governments settled on the creation of the independent Irish Free State. Originally, the newly-formed state covered the entire island but Northern Ireland exercised its right to rejoin the union a few days after independence. The Free State still kept the monarchy and was a Dominion of the British Empire (with equal status to the likes of Australia and Canada) until 1937, when a new constitution saw a newly-elected head of state replace the King. The British government finally recognized the Irish president as official head of state in 1949.
From the 1960s to 1990s, there was a long period of warfare known as "The Troubles", between the Irish Republican Army and the British and Irish government troops. Derrick McReary is known to have fought in the Battle of Belfast sometime in the 1990s, along with Bucky Sligo and Aiden O'Malley. The Real IRA continues to resist British rule to this day.
Ireland in the Grand Theft Auto games
GTA III Era
- The Emerald Isle casino in Las Venturas takes its name from the popular nickname of the island.
- Boxer Fraser Ashley hails from Ireland.
GTA IV Era
- The McReary Family, as well as their crime affiliates Michael Keane and Gordon Sargent, originate from Ireland.
- Steinway Beer Garden and Lucky Winkles are Irish-themed pubs found in Liberty City.
- The Irish American Killers have Irish origins. One of them is Liam.
- Most of the northwestern neighborhoods in Dukes have Irish influences.