Repubblica italiana (Italian)
|-||President of the Council||Matteo Renzi|
|Establishment||2 June 1946 (as the Republic of Italy)|
|EU accession||1 January 1958|
|-||estimate||60,782,668 (as of 2013)|
References in GTA
- The Mafia families are from Italy. They can be heard saying certain phrases in Italian.
- Many characters over the series are from an Italian descent.
- Saint Mark's, Portland, has a large Italian community. (III, LCS)
- There are Italian flags on the Orbit Building in east Belleville Park, Staunton Island. (III, LCS)
- Gnocchi is an Italian clothing brand. (SA, IV)
- The vehicle manufacturer Grotti, which makes the Stinger, Turismo R, Cheetah, Turismo, Carbonizzare, Stinger GT sports cars and Squalo, Jetmax, Tropic, Blade, and Smuggler boats, comes from Italy. (SA, IV, GTA V)
- The vehicle manufacturer Pegassi, which makes the Infernus, Vacca, Zentorno and Monroe sports cars, Bati 800 and Ruffian motorcycle, and Speeder boat comes from Italy. Pegassi also has many classic vehicles. (IV, V)
- Al Dente's and Viendemorte are Italian restaurants. (IV, V)
- Stronzo is an Italian beer brand. (V)
- An Italian flag can be seen at Los Santos Country Club. (V)
- The neighborhood of Vespucci is named after the Italian explorer Amerigo Vespucci, the same man America is named after.
- The San Andreas Flight School Update added an Italy Chute Bag in GTA V.
There are a lot of Italian-American gangs or mafia families in the GTA series. These groups have their origins in Italy and likely still have connections back home. In Grand Theft Auto IV and its episodes, The Ballad of Gay Tony and The Lost and Damned, there is The Commission, a council-like organisation made up of the five most powerful or influential mafia families in Liberty City. However several of these families still fight with one another and rivalries remain common.
Here is a list of Italian gangs or crime families in the series;
- Sicilian Mafia
- Forelli Family
- Vercetti Family (also known as the Vercetti Gang)
- Leone Family
- Sindacco Family