|Vehicle type||Prototype aircraft|
|Appearance(s)||Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas|
|Price||$60,000,000 (value, but no actual payment in-game)|
The Jetpack is a $60 million vehicle in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. It gives the player the ability to fly while on foot, allowing for both high-flying exploration and for super-fast "hit and run" assaults on enemies—although slower than most vehicles at full speed, it offers the player far greater agility than any normal vehicle, at the expense of leaving the player fully exposed to gunfire.
The Jetpack is unique - it hangs in the air when not in use, and is activated instantly when Carl Johnson walks into it rather than pressing the enter/exit button. It allows for directional control with two omnidirectional nozzle-like jets providing thrust; strangely, the nozzles do not seem to burn or otherwise harm CJ, despite being inches from his shoulders. When using the Jetpack, the player can only fire one handed weapons, although, somewhat incongruously, these can be dual-wielded.
The Jetpack is a prototype created in the US military's underground lab in Area 69; Carl Johnson steals it for The Truth in the mission "Black Project". Due to the secrecy of the project, The Truth is the only civilian other than CJ to know of its existence. After this mission, the Jetpack will respawn at Verdant Meadows. CJ later uses it to attack a military train in the mission "Green Goo". The Jetpack is permanently available in Verdant Meadows after completing the "Green Goo" mission and it can also be accessed at any time through cheats.
In GTA V, there are various lines of code suggesting that the Jetpack was a planned item during the game's development, but it was dropped before release. Unfortunately, no Jetpack model or texture has been found in the game's internal files.
- Beside the house where you use to save your game in the airport graveyard in Verdant Meadows after completing "Green Goo".
- At the lowermost section of Area 69 (after completing "Black Project"), in the launch bay where it was found during Black Project, although exploits are needed to access it. The only way to get out is to use a Blue Hell glitch.
- Available with the use of a cheat code
The Jetpack can help you access the hidden interiors. See Hidden Interiors Universe.
The Jetpack is also the best vehicle to exploit the Blue Hell (aka Underworld) glitch, as it allow CJ to indefinitely fly under the map without falling.
- If the player is shot dead while flying the Jetpack, they will remain alive while airborne, however the Jetpack will slowly gravitate towards the ground, then when it hits the surface, CJ will automatically dismount the Jetpack and become wasted. Likewise, if the player enters the health cheat before they hit the ground, CJ's health will be restored, but as soon as the player dismounts from the Jetpack, CJ will fall down and die instantly.
- If a player spawns the jetpack while riding a bicycle (BMX, Mountain Bike or Bike), the player can ride the bicycle without pedaling it. If the player is on a Mountain Bike they can reach highway speed easily, allowing the player to ride one on the highways.
- If you spawn a Jetpack while in a car, CJ will be standing up inside of it, with his legs sticking out of the bottom of the car.
- If the player is hit by a car while using a Jetpack, he will lose health but will remain standing as if nothing had happened. However, once the player dismounts from the Jetpack, he will fall over due to the impact.
- The Cheat for the Jetpack is:
- While wearing a Jetpack, the player is considered an aircraft by the game's AI and as such is subject to missile attack over no-fly zones such as Area 69.
- The lesser your fat is, the easier it is for you to control the Jetpack. Being obese only decreases the hover speed of the Jetpack, this is proved in the opening cutscene from the mission Black Project; if Carl is overweight, The Truth will mock him and tell him to lose weight, much to Carl's chagrin.
- On rare occasions, CJ can wield a melee weapon while riding the Jetpack. If this happens with the chainsaw, the revving sound will repeat until you dismount the Jetpack.
- In the Official Strategy Guide by BradyGames, it is classed as a Recreational Vehicle and the name is called "Personal Transport System", with the description "Rumored to be in development. Look for it after "Green Goo" at Verdant Meadows."
- When using other player models besides CJ to ride the Jetpack (such as in PS2 Multiplayer), the other player's model will appear slightly deformed and incongruous. For example, their arms may appear bent slightly through the middle, etc. This is likely because the other player models must use a CJ-specific animation set when entering the Jetpack.
- If you don't have a pistol, don't have any one-handed sub-machine gun and enter the Jetpack with a Sawn-off Shotgun, a glitch will happen. You fly in the Jetpack with the 9mm but with no ammo. You can aim and even fire that gun, though there are no bullets coming out from it.
- The Jetpack is the best device to use to search for Horseshoes, because of its easy controlling and flying ability.
- It is the only device in your inventory which can be put down and picked up again.
- If the player simultaneously walks into the Jetpack and presses the button to hover, the Jetpack will not make any sound. This bug is also present in several vehicles in GTA IV.
- A HUD icon for the Jetpack exists, but it is not used as the HUD icon is always that of the player's current weapon.
- Strangely enough there is a glitch to unlock everything in the game from the start of the game involving the Jetpack. After the third cutscene from the beginning of the game (Carl taking a little ride with Tenpenny), quickly enter the Jetpack cheat, Although strange enough at the end of the cutscene, Carl will not be shown being thrown out of the car. Once the car is out of sight, CJ will be wasted. Once he spawns at the nearest hospital, everything in the game is available. But you will still gain heat is you go to another city besides Los Santos.
- Single handed weapons can be fired from the Jetpack.
- Despite functioning as a vehicle, the Jetpack is technically considered a weapon as it needs to be picked up on the ground and not entered by pressing Enter button.