|Appearance(s):||Grand Theft Auto IV|
|Full name:||Jon Gravelli|
|Date of birth:||1923|
|Place of birth:||Meadow Hills, Liberty City|
|Date of death:||2008 (Aged 85)|
|Family:||Jon Gravelli, Jr. (Son)|
Sonny Cangelosi (Uncle/Deceased)
|Main affiliation:||Gambetti Family|
Jon Gravelli, Jr.
Messina crime family
United Liberty Paper
|Voiced by:||Madison Arnold|
- "Everyone wants to pay homage to a dying legend, everyone wants the glamour of a bygone age."
- ―Jon Gravelli
Jon Gravelli (1923 - 2008) was a character in Grand Theft Auto series that appears as a main character in Grand Theft Auto IV. He was the Don of the Gambetti crime family in Liberty City from 1978 until 2008. He was hospitalized for three years due to a serious illness.
Life up to 2008
Jon Gravelli was born in Meadow Hills, Dukes, Liberty City in 1923. His criminal record dates back to 1940, when he was first arrested for possession of gambling records at only 17 years old. Rigorous criminal activity continued through his twenties, including car theft, attempted murder and bribery, though his LCPD record states that he had never been in prison. In 1968 he had a son, Jon Gravelli, Jr., who eventually became an associate of the Gambetti's but was disowned after he developed a cocaine addiction.
Gravelli started a Mob-war against the Ancelotti crime family in 1972, after almost killing Giovanni Ancelotti's uncle. Gravelli took charge as the Don of the Gambetti Family in 1978 after the death of Sonny Cangelosi, when Gravelli was 55. The Gambetti Family became the most powerful of Liberty City's Mafia families under Gravelli's leadership.
During the early 1990s, when he was in his late sixties, Gravelli was arrested twice, for Racketeering and Murder and Obstruction of Justice, beating both cases. Since 2005, he was a patient in Schottler Medical Center. Sometime in the late 1990s to the early 2000s Garvelli start to work with United Liberty Paper company, and became a good friend with one of the company's senior agents. In 2006 (while still hospitalised) he was charged with racketeering and was awaiting trial until his death. People believed Gravelli was faking his illnesses to avoid trial, but were proven wrong when he stayed hospitalized for his remaining years.
Events of GTA IV
In 2008, Gravelli was introduced to Niko Bellic via cellphone through his contact at United Liberty Paper who is referred to as a "mutual friend". Jon Gravelli first hired Niko to provide security for a politician from Russian gangsters who wanted to whack him. Niko and the convoy are ambushed on a back street they survive the ambush. Next, Jon ordered Niko to whack Korean Mob connected Kim Young-Guk for running a counterfeiting operation. In Liquidize the Assets, he hired Niko to destroy the Ancelottis' drug vans in a warehouse. It was through his and U.L Paper's assistance that Niko is able to have Darko Brevic delivered to him from Bucharest.
A news report on the radio and internet (after the completion of GTA IV's storyline) states that Gravelli passed away peacefully in his sleep, prior to standing trial. It also appears after the completion of The Ballad of Gay Tony's storyline.
LCPD Database record
- GTA IV
- He is most likely based on Carlo Gambino, former boss of the Gambino crime family, on which the Gambettis are based, although his name shares similarities with John Gotti. His name is also similar to Gotti informant Sammy "The Bull" Gravano.
- Upon completion of the main storyline in Grand Theft Auto IV or The Ballad of Gay Tony, the player can read about Gravelli's death on the Liberty Tree website, under the article "Mob Boss Dies Before Trial".
- If you call Jon Gravelli, it will say that his number is not recognized. Despite this, he can be called after his missions.
- Gravelli is one of the few characters in the GTA series to die of natural causes. Others include Johnny Sindacco.
- It is implied several times that Gravelli brought his illness upon himself to prevent, or at least delay, prosecution.
- Gravelli, Gerald McReary, Elizabeta Torres and the United Liberty Paper Contact are the only major characters in GTA IV who don't appear outside of cutscenes.
- In his artwork, Gravelli wears a blue business suit, but he does not wear it in GTA IV. This is due to the fact that he is hospitalized and wears the hospital issued gowns.
- At 85 years old, Gravelli is disputably the oldest character in the GTA series to give the protagonist missions. It is possible that this is false, given that Uncle Fu from Grand Theft Auto 1 claims to be over 130 years old.
- Appearing in only three missions, Gravelli is the boss with the least appearances in the whole Grand Theft Auto IV trinity.
- Gravelli states that he has known the Ancelottis for 73 years, suggesting that he could've been involved with the mafia since the age of 12.
- Jon Gravelli is mentioned in a random encounter in GTA V. The daughter of Gravelli's former right hand man, Sammy Bottino, is being buried alive in Paleto Bay and the player can choose to help her. Whilst driving her to meet a friend (or to the Altruists) she mentions him.