- This article is about the Los Santos Police Department in GTA V. For the police department in GTA San Andreas, see LSPD in 3D Universe.
|LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY|
Los Santos Police Department
Obey & Survive
|Common name:||Los Santos Police Department|
|Appearance(s):||Grand Theft Auto V|
Grand Theft Auto Online
- "Obey and Survive."
- ―Motto of the LSPD.
The Los Santos Police Department (LSPD) is the police department of the city of Los Santos, San Andreas. The LSPD is based on the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD). The LSPD are responsible for cleaning the mean streets of Los Santos and are known for their brutal methods of crime stopping. Even looking at an LSPD officer the wrong way will get you arrested. The LSPD is well-funded and has several pieces of police equipment, police stations, and thousands of officers ready to beat down criminals.
According to the badges on officers, the LSPD was established in 1889, nearly a hundred years after Los Santos was founded.
The LSPD follow a rank and hierarchy system similar to the real world counterpart of the LAPD. Some of the LSPD officers have patches on their uniform sleeves which show their rank. To determine whether an officer is Police Officer I or II, officers with a tie and no rank on their shoulder will most likely represent Officer I because most rookies out of the academy wear a tie on the job. Officers that don't wear a tie and have no rank on their shoulder are most likely Officer II.
- Chief of Police
- Assistant Chief
- Deputy Chief
- Lee Whitless
- Captain III
- Captain II
- Captain I
- Captain Poro
- Lieutenant II
- Lieutenant I
- Sergeant II
- Sergeant I
- Detective III
- Detective II
- Detective I
- Officer III+I
- Officer III
- Officer II
- Officer I
List of Police Stations
- Main Article: Police Stations
The Los Santos Police Department is large and organized, possessing eight Police Stations throughout the city of Los Santos.
- La Mesa Police Station - Popular Street & Capital Boulevard below the Olympic Freeway
- Davis Sheriff/Police Station - Innocence Boulevard & Roy Lowenstein Boulevard
- Mission Row Police Station - Sinner Street & Atlee Street.
- Vinewood Police Station - Elgin Avenue & Vinewood Boulevard (body armor in garage)
- Rockford Hills Police Station - Eastbourne Way & Abe Milton Parkway
- Vespucci Police Station - San Andreas Avenue & South Rockford Drive
- Vespucci Beach Police Station - Vespucci Beach
- Del Perro Police Station - Red Desert Avenue at Del Perro Pier
The LSPD has multiple types of vehicles at their disposal, including:
- The Police Cruiser, based on the 1998-2011 Ford Crown Victoria, is a second generation Stanier which can be seen mostly parked at police stations and will also be used to patrol and respond to crimes in the Downtown area of Los Santos. It's capabilities and vehicle performances have been upgraded compared to its previous predecessor, the first generation Stainer.
- The Police Interceptor, designed after the new Taurus-based Ford Police Interceptor showcasing new LED style lightbars, working alley lights, wig wag tail lights, flashing head lights, grill lights, windshield and back windows lights and push bar lights. This vehicle can be found at police stations as well as on patrol and responding to crimes/chasing criminals. It is also the main squad car the LSPD uses.
- The Police Buffalo, based on the Dodge Charger. This vehicle is rarely seen, it is used to patrol the Downtown area of Los Santos and on the desert satellites.
- The Police Transporter, based on a Second generation Burrito. It is used to patrol certain parts of Los Santos but will appear mostly during a wanted level of 3 stars or higher, in roadblocks where it will deploy a spike strip.
- The Unmarked Cruiser, based on the Police Cruiser and also a second generation Stanier, is an unmarked vehicle that can be found around Downtown Los Santos, however it is rare and less common to find. It appears mainly black in color and has no external markings or visible emergency lights making it much more inconspicuous to the public and is mainly used by detectives rather than patrol officers.
- The Police Maverick, based on the real-life American Eurocopter AS350B-2 A-Star, It can be seen parked on certain police station roofs and can also be seen patrolling the skies and chasing criminals. It will start showing up at a wanted level of 3 and more of them will show up at higher wanted levels.
- The Police Predator, it can be seen patrolling the waters and shores near the beaches and can sometimes be seen chasing criminals. It will spawn when the player is either close to or in the water with 1 wanted level or higher.
LSPD Officers wear all navy blue uniforms resembling their real life counterparts in the LAPD. They wear either long or short-sleeved duty shirts on which their badges, resembling the LAPD silver badge, is displayed on their left side. Their shirts may also display stripes on their sleeves to indicate their rank. They wear long duty pants and are also equipped with a duty belt, which contains a radio, a pair of handcuffs, ammo cases, and what appears to be a Glock 22. Some can also be seen wearing a police hat, body armor (kevlar), and more rarely, a pair of glasses.
Weapons and Equipment
- Body Armor (At wanted level 3 and higher)
- Pump Shotgun
- Carbine Rifle
- Micro SMG (When in the Predetor)
- Combat MG (In GTA Online: Survival)
- In GTA V, what appears to be Bigfoot appears on the LSPD Emblem, possibly a nod to the Bigfoot rumors from GTA San Andreas.
- Their slogan is "Obey & Survive" another proof of the LSPD's brutality.
- The Wanted Level in GTA V is more advanced than in previous games, as police helicopters chase the player nearly at ground level with officers engaging with advanced weapons, when having a three, four or five stars wanted level.
- Unlike other GTA games where the police is chasing the player with the police car, the police have better driving skills, and they drive much faster compared to other GTA games even at lower wanted levels.
- An in-game news article that says a man was arrested for using his camera phone to film the cops and they shot his dog for "good measure" is likely based on the real life incident that happened earlier 2013. A man filmed cops at a crime scene and had his car radio on very loud and was arrested for it, while being handcuffed, his dog jumped out of the car window and barked and leaped at the cops while trying to get to his owner. One of the cops (A Hawthorne police officer and not an LAPD one) responded by shooting the dog dead. This obviously caused uproar and anger from the public.
- Unlike most Grand Theft Auto games, nor the LSPD or the LSCS use NOOSE trucks of any kind at higher wanted levels. The NOOSE truck is replaced by the Sheriff SUV, Police Transporter and the FIB Granger.
- When chased at a 3 star wanted level and above the officers in cars wear bulletproof vests over their uniform, which can make them tougher to kill.
- To negate this, the player must shoot them in the head.
- Female officers wearing body armor are rare, as are female officers not wearing body armor.
- NOOSE Officers will fast-rope from helicopters to attack the player rather than simply shooting at him from the police helicopter. When you are out in the county, on some occasions in an open area, the helicopter will land, dropping them off.
- This is likely the "easiest" way of obtaining the Police Maverick in GTA V.
- Interestingly, when there are a lot of wounded officers or civilians, there is a chance that two or more unharmed officers will make a hasty attempt to go and drag any of them into cover. They will either grab then by their legs or by their underarms and drag them into safety (behind a wall or a vehicle). If a civilian is taken into cover, they will still be on the ground in pain (when paramedics are dispatched, they will save them), while an officer will stay at their side, protecting them. However, if an officer is taken into cover, it will take around 15-20 seconds (less if paramedics are dispatched and they are healing them) for them to get back up, pull out a pistol and resume to shoot at you.
- Paramedics will rarely succeed, as they will leave if any shots are fired, and the police will continously shoot at the player.
- If you have a wanted level and are being chased by a police car occupied by two police officers and shoot the driver dead, the other police officer will throw the dead police officer out of the car to move into the drivers' seat and resume the chase.
- The LSPD in GTA V is arguably much more aggressive than the police in any other GTA game. If the player stands next to an officer for more than 10 seconds, they instantly will earn a two star Wanted level prompting the officer in question to shoot the player dead. They also use spike strips and will not hesitate to ram or tailgate the player off the road, even if it means the destruction of their own cars, also, unlike other games, pulling out a weapon, or running over pedestrians will instantly earn a two-star wanted level if you are near enough to an officer, prompting once again the officers to shoot the player.
- The LSPD also seem to be more aggressive when chasing slower vehicles such as the Bodhi or the Bagger when compared to faster vehicles such as the Infernus. Even trying to come to a complete stop on motorcycles will not stop the LSPD from ramming you off and most likely killing you in the process.
- The LSPD, like the real LAPD, is often accused of racism. This is backed by the fact that the LSPD are currently creating "minority quotas" in order to help boost their reputation.
- In the LSPD emblem on the top is the Epsilon Program symbol, meaning that they are in some way connected to them.
- The player can get a wanted level for shooting a gun or stealing a car when no one is around causing the police to instantly spawn near you making escape difficult.
- Sometimes, a similar thing will happen with Police Mavericks. They will spawn out of nowhere so they can catch up with the player.
- LSPD officers' hat has the logo of the Los Santos Sheriff Department.
- GTA V is the first GTA Game that have female police officers that actually pursue the player, although, there were female police officers in GTA IV's beta, but they were cut.
- They usually spawn in front of hospitals or police stations, but very rarely, they will spawn sitting in the passenger's side of the police cars when you have a wanted level.
- Getting a five-star wanted level in GTA V will cause the LSPD to send men in to kill you with Combat MG's that are outfitted with the suits that were worn in The Paleto Score.
- LSPD officers can sometimes attack pedestrians attacking you, much like the LCPD in GTA IV, but unlike the LCPD, they will shoot at pedestrians instead of trying to arrest them.
- The LSPD are in some way affiliated with security guards as not obeying the guards (e.g not leaving the area when a guard told you to leave) will earn a one-star wanted level.
- The guards will also alert the police if they see you hiding from cops.
- Unlike other games, LSPD officers and cars very rarely appear in the streets of Los Santos in GTA V, the only ways to find officers are in the airport, outside of police stations, when they are chasing down a suspect, Downtown LS, or by dialing 911 in the in-game phone for the Police. Arrow stations also usually have an officer or two in particular the underground ones.
- Unlike police in other games, if you have a wanted level while they are chasing a NPC suspect, they won't stop chasing the NPC criminal, and will only start chasing the player when they finish the criminal off.
- If you have a wanted level, and the officers don't have a police vehicle near them, they will get into parked civilian vehicles or carjack them, the same as GTA IV's LCPD.
- The player's vehicle may be subject to this. If parked near a police station, if a chase occurs and the player is outside the vehicle, he may witness a cop stealing it. (For this reason it's not a good idea to park a rare or prized vehicle near a police station where such things occur frequently.)
- If the player or an NPC is being chased by the police while in sight of other officers on foot, the officers on foot will get into near police vehicles and help their partners.
- If raining, no officers can be found at police stations, this can be a good opportunity for the player to obtain a parked police vehicle, since they only spawn at police stations or when chasing a suspect and can be hard to obtain with officers on sight.
- It is stated that the LSPD is also accused of hiring prostitutes, or even having oral sex with their favorite prostitute as stated in their Bleeter page, although this cannot be seen in-game, nor in their Bleeter page.
- The police do not care if they run you over, especially in GTA Online, where they do not even slow down.
- When using a police car one may listen in to calls, if you go to an area of a call you may find a police vehicle driving around the area and stopping at the lights with its siren on.
- A small part of the GTA community believe the LSPD are actually racist in game. Giving Franklin a wanted level more often. Rockstar denies this claim and says that the LSPD treat every protagonist the same. It is possible Franklin recieves "more" wanted levels because he usually spawns in dangerous neighborhoods with more crime.
- ↑ http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2353347/Police-shoot-kill-Rottweiler-street-dog-runs-owner-arrested-obstruction-justice.html
- ↑ http://rt.com/usa/california-man-dog-killed-police-492/