- "General purpose machine gun that combines rugged design with dependable performance. Long range penetrative power. Very effective against large groups."
- ―GTA V description on the Rockstar Games Social Club.
The MG has a moderate rate of fire with a 54 round box magazine and can be bought from Ammu-Nation late in the game. The overall weapon design is based upon the PKM with a belt drum from the RPD, and short gas block, similar to the one found on AK based weapons. The model lacks the bipod and carry handle commonly found on the PKM. The weapon being more modern than the PKM model, it is then more similar to a PKP Pecheneg. The LMG does however feature a four-sided handguard with Picatinny rails on each side. The upper receiver also has a top picatinny rail. However, with an extended magazine, it will have a correct magazine size of 100. Like the Assault Rifle, it is chambered in 7.62mm.
While is not very powerful as the Combat MG and carries less ammunition, it is powerful enough to take out a Police Maverick from medium range within a few shots and seems to be a bit faster, although accuracy and recoil will be a problem, due to the lack of a grip option.
- Scope (mid-range zoom, increases accuracy) - $1125
- Default clip (54 rounds) - Equipped by default
- Rounds (108 rounds) - $50
- Extended clip (100 rounds) - $362
- Black (default) - Equipped by default
- Army Tint (Desert sand) - $100
- Green Tint (Online only)
- Orange Tint (Online only)
- LSPD Tint
- Pink Tint (Online only)
- Gold Tint (Online only)
- Platinum Tint (Online only)
- In front of the Autoshop northeast Cypress Flats.
- Bolingbroke Penitentiary - at the catwalk next to the central guard tower.
- Near the main pillar below a railroad at northeast of Mount Chiliad.
- Tongva Hills - below the east side of the highway bridge.
- At the bottom of the Alamo Sea, at the Cargo Plane's wreck .
- Unlocked at Level 50 in GTA Online.
- A MG can be stolen and kept for free from the soldiers in Fort Zancudo during the Base Invaders mission.
- Can be found in crate drops as well as boxes in Gang Attacks.
- Enemies will sometimes use the MG in Gang Attacks depending on the location of the Gang Attack.
- If attaching a scope to the weapon then it will be fired from the shoulder like an assault rifle rather than being fired from the hip like normal. This also applies to other hip-fired weapons like the Micro SMG and Combat MG.
- It is less powerful per shot than the Combat MG, despite chambering a larger round (7.62mm vs 5.56mm). The Assault Rifle shares this characteristic.
- Despite having ample room and a railed handguard, it cannot mount a Grip.
- When reloading, the process can be done almost instantly. If a player presses B (Xbox) or Circle (PS3) to reload and wait a second, then do a combat roll (Hold LT and Press X for Xbox and L2 and Square for PS3) they may notice the ammo counter has reset to 54 (or 100 if the extended magazine is attached).
- The MG is the shortest named gun in the Grand Theft Auto Series with only two letters in its name.
- The buyable scope in the MG will have a green dot rather than a red dot. This also applies to the Advanced Rifle.