The Maibatsu Corporation is a Japanese automaker that has appeared in every Grand Theft Auto game since Grand Theft Auto III, except for Grand Theft Auto Advance. The name "Maibatsu" is derived from Daihatsu and Mitsubishi, and is also similar in name to "Zaibatsu" (財閥), a Japanese term for a large conglomerate.
Appearances in games
- Grand Theft Auto III: Maibatsu has a radio ad and print ad for the Monstrosity, a very large SUV (pickup in European version) with extremely bad fuel efficiency (as low as 3 MPG).
- Grand Theft Auto: Vice City:
- Maibatsu runs a sexually provocative ad on the radio to promote the Thunder.
- There is an ad run by the lobby group Buy American Coalition which encourages consumers to purchase domestic cars out of patriotism (a reference to the US auto industry being threatened by the growing popularity of cheaper and more fuel efficient Japanese imports), although it concedes that the Maibatsu Thunder is cheaper and better than its domestic contemporaries.
- On the talk radio station VCPR, Jonathan Freeloader announces Enviromental Week which is sponsored by Maibatsu and the Vice City Power Corporation.
- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas: Maibatsu runs an ad on the radio encouraging parents to buy their kids cars instead of bicycles.
- Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories: Maibatsu runs an ad for the Womb, a minivan designed for men. It features a cooler for beer and a television on the dashboard among its features. The ad states that men can watch football, masturbate and be away from their wives in the Womb.
- Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories: In the Vice City Inquirer, the Buy American Coalition asks readers to "take a mallet to a Maibatsu today".
- Grand Theft Auto IV: The corporation is more blatantly based on Mitsubishi. Maibatsu now produces the Mule truck, Sanchez dirtbike, and Vincent sedan. In the WKTT in-game radio, a quick reference to the Maibatsu Monstrosity can be heard.
- Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars: Maibatsu doesn't make any notable appearance in Chinatown Wars aside from the presence of the Sanchez dirtbike.
Vehicles in 3D Universe
|Vehicle||Style||Based On (3D Universe)||Notes|
|Monstrosity||SUV/Truck|| Landstalker (American Version)|
Ford F250 regular cab (European Version)
|Thunder||Compact||Unknown||Only depicted in advertisements; Not seen on the road|
|Womb||Minivan||Unknown||Only depicted in advertisements; Not seen on the road|
Vehicles in HD Universe
|Vehicle||Style||Based On (HD Universe)||Notes|
|Mule||Cabover Box Truck||1994-2004 Isuzu Elf|
|Vincent||Sedan||1999-2003 Mitsubishi Galant|
- The "Maibatsu Corporation" is likely a nod to the Zaibatsu Corporation, a massive corporation that plays a large role in Grand Theft Auto 2.
|Albany • Annis • Benefactor • Bravado • Brute • Classique • Declasse • Dewbauchee • Dinka • DUDE • Dundreary • Emperor • Enus • Grotti • HVY • Imponte • Invetero • Jobuilt • Karin • Liberty Chop Shop • Liberty City Cycles • Maibatsu Corporation • Mammoth • MTL • Ocelot • Pegassi • Pfister • ProLaps • Schyster • Shitzu • Steel Horse • Übermacht • Vapid • Vulcar • Western Company • Western Motorcycle Company • Willard • Zirconium|