The Maibatsu Corporation (BAWSAQ: MAI) is a Japanese multinational conglomerate that has appeared in every Grand Theft Auto game since Grand Theft Auto III, except for Grand Theft Auto Advance. The name "Maibatsu" is a portmanteau of Daihatsu and Mitsubishi, and is also similar in name to "Zaibatsu" (財閥), a Japanese term for a large conglomerate.
Appearances in games
- Grand Theft Auto III: Maibatsu has radio and print advertisements for the Monstrosity, a very large SUV (RC truck in European version) with extremely bad fuel efficiency (as low as 3 MPG).
- Grand Theft Auto: Vice City:
- Maibatsu runs a sexually provocative ad on the radio to promote the Thunder.
- There is an ad run by the lobby group Buy American Coalition which encourages consumers to purchase domestic cars out of patriotism (a reference to the US auto industry being threatened by the growing popularity of cheaper and more fuel efficient Japanese imports), although it concedes that the Maibatsu Thunder is cheaper and better than its domestic contemporaries.
- On the talk radio station VCPR, Jonathan Freeloader announces Enviromental Week which is sponsored by Maibatsu and the Vice City Power Corporation.
- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas: Maibatsu runs an ad on the radio encouraging parents to buy their kids cars instead of bicycles.
- Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories: Maibatsu runs an ad for the Womb, a minivan designed for men. It features a cooler for beer and a television on the dashboard among its features. The ad states that men can watch football, masturbate and be away from their wives in the Womb.
- Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories: In the Vice City Inquirer, the Buy American Coalition asks readers to "take a mallet to a Maibatsu today".
- Grand Theft Auto IV: The corporation is more blatantly based on Mitsubishi. Maibatsu now produces the Mule truck, Sanchez dirtbike, and Vincent sedan. In the WKTT in-game radio, a quick reference to the Maibatsu Monstrosity can be heard.
- Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars: Maibatsu doesn't make any notable appearance in Chinatown Wars aside from the presence of the Sanchez dirtbike.
- Grand Theft Auto V: Maibatsu now produces the Penumbra coupé and the Frogger helicopter, while the Mule truck and the Sanchez dirtbike from GTA IV are also present. There is a Maibatsu Motors Inc. factory in East Los Santos.
Although the Maibatsu Corporation is most famous for the vehicles it manufactures, Maibatsu also makes electronics, cruise missiles and just about every other product on the face of the planet.
Vehicles in 3D Universe
|Vehicle||Style||Based On (3D Universe)||Notes|
|Monstrosity||Full-size SUV/truck|| Landstalker (American Version)|
Ford F250 regular cab (European Version)
|Thunder||Sport compact||Unknown||Only depicted in advertisements; Not seen on the road|
|Womb||Minivan||Unknown||Only depicted in advertisements; Not seen on the road|
Vehicles in HD Universe
|Vehicle||Style||Based On (HD Universe)||Notes|
|Mule||Cabover Box Truck||1994-2004 Isuzu Elf|
|Penumbra||Sport compact||2012 Mitsubishi Eclipse SE||Featured in GTA V|
|Vincent||Mid-size sedan||1996-2003 Mitsubishi Galant||Featured only in GTA IV|
- The "Maibatsu Corporation" is likely a nod to the Zaibatsu Corporation, a massive corporation that plays a large role in Grand Theft Auto 2.
|Albany • Annis • Benefactor • BF • Bollokan • Bravado • Brute • Buckingham • Canis • Cheval • Classique • Coil • Declasse • Dewbauchee • Dinka • DUDE • Dundreary • Emperor • Enus • Fathom • Gallivanter • Grotti • Hijak • HVY • Imponte • Invetero • Jacksheepe • Jobuilt • Karin • Lampadati • Liberty Chop Shop • Liberty City Cycles • Maibatsu Corporation • Mammoth • MTL • Nagasaki • Obey • Ocelot • Overflod • Pegassi • Pfister • Principe • ProLaps • Schyster • Shitzu • Speedophile • Stanley • Steel Horse • Truffade • Übermacht • Vapid • Weeny • Vulcar • Western Company • Western Motorcycle Company • Willard • Zirconium|