Max Payne is a series of action games created by Remedy Entertainment and published by Rockstar Games. As with Manhunt, references are made to the Grand Theft Auto series.
Grand Theft Auto 2
- One of the garages found throughout Anywhere City is called Max Paynt. GTA 2 was released two years prior to the original Max Payne, when the game was still in development.
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Max Payne 3
- Towards the end of the chapter "Anybody Can Buy Me A Drink", Max and Raul Passos storm a mafia-run chop shop. One of the vehicles within is a Cognoscenti stripped down to its frame.
- In the same chapter, Max traverses a corridor inside an apartment building while being attacked from a nearby rooftop. If shot down from the roof, a mafia goon may emit the same scream of an "aliens" tramp from GTA IV.
- The police cruisers found in Act 3 are modified Chavos.
- In the chapter "A Fat Bald Dude With a Bad Temper", there are photocopiers branded "Power Ultra 3000 Pro" reused from GTA IV.
- In the multiplayer map "Tiete River Docks", a wall has several pictures of aircraft from Grand Theft Auto V. The aircraft depicted are a beta P-996 Lazer, a Shamal, a Luxor and a Titan.
- The "vehicle.ide" file that contains data from all vehicles in Max Payne 3 contains a "deprecated vehicles" section that contains the names of cars from GTA IV, such as the Cavalcade, Benson and Willard. It also refers to the Cuban 800, a plane that was revealed in GTA V's second trailer.
Grand Theft Auto V
- One of Grand Theft Auto V's protagonists, Michael De Santa, bears a strong resemblance to Max Payne. He is a depressive retired man in his 40s, he has drinking problems and a dark past. Michael has the same special ability as Max Payne called Bullet Time, that allows him to slow down time. Both at some point in their lives arrived at their houses only to find out it was under siege by a group of mercenaries while their families hid in horror. Michael even has the same gray suit that Max wears in the beginning of Max Payne 3. He can also purchase a Hawaiian shirt and leather jacket from the same game and his haircuts are very similar to the ones Max himself wore through the story.