Missions are storyline objective tasks given to the protagonist in the Grand Theft Auto series by other characters in order to further advance the storyline. Missions act as a modern version of levels in video games, and the equivalent of quests in role-playing games. Missions are required unless the player wants to see mission markers, phone calls, and mission prompts all the time.
Missions are usually given to the protagonist by contacts such as gang leaders, friends, or basically anyone in need of help in exchange for pay, either directly in person or through mediums such as phone calls, or e-mails. However some missions are taken on by the protagonist themselves in response to a changing situation or sudden event.
Missions make up the most part of 100% completion of the game, not least because they introduce and encapsulate many aspects of the game, including controls, vehicles, locations, weapons, food, clothing etc. 100% completion of the game is entirely optional, and only used as a personal statistic. However, most people prefer to complete the story missions so they can advance the storyline and see what happens next.
Story and Side Missions
- Missions in Grand Theft Auto
- Missions in Grand Theft Auto: London 1969
- Missions in Grand Theft Auto: London 1961
- Missions in Grand Theft Auto 2
- Missions in Grand Theft Auto III
- Missions in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
- Missions in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
- Missions in Grand Theft Auto Advance
- Missions in Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
- Missions in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories
- Missions in Grand Theft Auto IV
- Missions in The Lost and Damned
- Missions in The Ballad of Gay Tony
- Missions in Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
- Main article: Vehicle Missions
- Main article: Random Characters
In Grand Theft Auto IV, The Lost and Damned, The Ballad of Gay Tony, and GTA Chinatown Wars, side missions are triggered when the player gets close to a "random" character. These characters are out at certain times of day. Some have more then one side mission, that build up to create a mini story. Others branch off the main story to explain the results of certain events. They wait for the player to walk up to them at the sidewalk so they can "talk business".