Located far to the north, in the Chiliad Mountain State Wilderness, it serves as the highest point in the game. Two small towns sit at its base. Grapeseed can be found to the southeast, and Paleto Bay to the northwest.
Mount Chiliad is based on Mount San Jacinto.
Points of InterestAt the mountain base and peak is a Gondola (tram/cable car) station. There is a hiking trail running down the east side of the mountain. There are two stationary telescopes that can be found at the peak, which cost $1 each per use. Two dirt bikes are parked at the peak of the mountain near the observation decks. There is a derelict wooden ramp near the Gondola station that can be used to drive off the edge.
Inside the station is a cryptic mural on a wall that depicts what appears to be the mountain and various symbols. An illuminate reference as seen on US currency, "The All Seeing Eye" appears above the mountain/pyramid depicted in the mural.
There appears to be two sealed doors leading to a Gondola station room and/or a possible secret entrance into the Chiliad mountain itself directly adjacent to the mysterious mural.
The message "Come back when your story is complete" is written on the back of the observation deck. This is later revealed to be related to the hidden UFO sighting.
UFO sightingUpon reaching 100% game completion and standing on the observation deck, a UFO with FIB markings will appear overhead. There are three conditions that must be met:
- You must have 100% game completion.
- There must be a storm (not just rain). The weather cheat can be used to create a storm.
- The time must be 3 AM.
Once the UFO appears, it will stay there as long as you're on the mountain peak. In addition, other UFOs can be sighted in other locations.
- A parachute can be found on the Gondola boarding platform.
- One letter scrap piece is located near the Gondola where the parachute is found.
- Two rail signs at the top read "Old Man's Crack" and "Bell's End".
- Bell's End is a possible reference to UFO/Paranormal talk show host Art Bell on SiriusXM satellite radio (Dark Matter with Art Bell). Bell was the former primary radio talk show host of Coast to Coast AM.