Ocean View Hotel
|Appearance(s):||Grand Theft Auto: Vice City|
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories
|Name:||Ocean View Hotel|
|Type of Business:||Hotel|
|Location(s):||Ocean Beach, Vice City|
The Ocean View Hotel is a hotel on Ocean Drive in Ocean Beach, Vice City in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories. The hotel is prominently featured in GTA Vice City as the player's first safehouse in the game.
Available from the start in GTA Vice City after "In the beginning...", the Ocean View Hotel is a green, white and yellow Art Deco hotel facing the eastern beachfront of Ocean Beach. The hotel boasts an interior (featured only in GTA Vice City) that includes a detailed lobby level, as well as the stairway and hallway leading upstairs to Tommy Vercetti's suite. The lobby is styled in a dark Art Deco design, while the suite itself is quintessentially 1980s in design with artsy furnishing and light colors.
In GTA Vice City, the hotel serves various purposes:
- The hotel is the first safehouse the player acquires in the game. While Tommy is assumed to reside in the suite, the save point is actually located at the reception counter in the hotel lobby.
- Tommy can change into his default "Street" clothing using a clothing icon inside the suite.
- Various weapons attained by collecting Hidden Packages will spawn along the hallway and within the hotel suite. These include Body Armor (10 packages), a chainsaw (20 packages), Colt Python (30 packages), flamethrower (40 packages), PSG-1 laser scope sniper rifle (50 packages), minigun (60 packages) and Rocket Launcher (70 packages).
The hotel as a structure still exists in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories and is given a cosmetic refinement, as are with many Ocean Drive buildings in the game. However, the hotel exterior is painted green and yellow and it lacks its "Ocean View Hotel" signage.
The hotel's full interior still exists in VCS, although trainers are required to see it. The interior is the same as it was in VC, only with lower textures. The items that appear after certain missions appear in Tommy's room (the telephone, hidden packages, the poster of Claude, the hockey mask from 'The Job', etc). Entering the interior will, however, cause the game to become glitchy and slower, as it wasn't intended to be entered at all. Even the two songs that played in the hotel from Radio Espantoso still play on the same loop from the original Vice City.
Items in Ocean Beach Hotel
In GTA Vice City, Tommy Vercetti's Ocean Beach suite will be filled with various memorabilia either available from the start or available after completion of a specific mission:
- Claude, the protagonist of Grand Theft Auto III, appears on a pop-art poster in the room.
- On the coffee table there are magazines with game art of Lance Vance and Ricardo Diaz.
- Upon completion of "The Party", a suit bag will be hanged in front of the dresser.
- Upon completion of "Rub Out", a broken hidden package will appear on the bar counter, revealing the package contains an unknown white powder (possibly cocaine).
- Upon completion of "The Shootist", a trophy will appear on top of the television.
- Upon completion of "The Job", a hockey mask will appear on the coffee table.
- Upon completion of "Hit the Courier", a bag full of money appears on the bed.
- Upon completion of "G-Spotlight", two posters for Candy Suxxx's "movies" will appear on both sides of the Claude poster, and several of the pictures taken from Martha's Mug Shot will appear.
- Upon completion of Phil's mission "Boomshine Saigon", three barrels of boomshine will appear in a corner of the room, behind the bar.
During Grand Theft Auto: Vice City the followings songs can be heard playing inside the hotel:
- Unaesta - "La Vida es Una Lenteja" (featured on Radio Espantoso)
- Tres Apenas Como Eso - "Yo Te Miré" (featured on Radio Espantoso)
- During the introduction cutscenes of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, the Marco's Bistro scene is actually located within the hotel, but it is normally hidden from view. The room can be accessed through a glitch, though it is not solid.
- In Grand Theft Auto IV, on a golf course located in Firefly Island, one of the holes has a scaled-down model of the Ocean View Hotel.
- In the beta, the Ocean View Hotel was originally called the Clevelander, implying that the hotel is based on the Miami hotel.
- The window in Tommy's suite allows bullets to pass through it, so the player can snipe pedestrians while aiming towards the street.
- The hotel suite and the Vercetti Estate are the only safehouses to feature rewards from Side Missions or missions.
- A magazine on the coffee table entitled "Crime" (which features Ricardo Diaz's face on the front cover) may be a parody of Time Magazine because the magazine's masthead uses the almost similar font used in Time Magazine and features a "Man of the Year".