Over The Top
|Game:||Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories|
|Location:||Starfish Island, Vice City|
|Conditions of mission failure:||Destruction of Phil's Truck, Soldiers take the Hunter away, Hunter's Destruction|
|Unlocked by:||Light My Pyre|
- "I, I, I, I can't believe she's gone. Sorry Vic...she was a good soldier...a good sister, I mean."
- — Phil Cassidy about his sister's death.
Ricardo Diaz informs Victor Vance that Diego Mendez is hiding in the Mendez Compound in Downtown and that entering the compound would be a suicide mission. However, at Fort Baxter Air Base there is a Hunter helicopter, which has just been delivered, which could be used to attack the compound from the air. Victor drives to Phil Cassidy's warehouse in Viceport, avoiding Mendez Cartel hitmen. Victor finds a drunk Phil, distraught after the death of one of his sisters. He agrees to be a decoy to allow Victor to sneak onto the base, as a step towards avenging her. Victor drives to Fort Baxter Air Base, where he exits the truck and Phil drives the truck, full of boomshine, into the forts entrance, causing an explosion.
Victor then sneaks into Fort Baxter Air Base and makes his way to the main building, killing any soldiers he spots. After entering the control room, Victor unlocks the gates to the Hunter. However, the soldiers realise his plans and secure the Hunter, planning to take-off within three minutes. Victor manages to get to the helicopter and lands it on the helipad on Diaz's Mansion.
In order to complete the mission the player must:
- Go to Phil's
- Go to Fort Baxter
- Jump over the wall into Fort Baxter
- Get into the admin building
- Find the control room and open the helicopter pad gate
- Get out of the admin building before the helicopter takes off
- Steal the helicopter before it takes off
- Take the helicopter back to Diaz's mansion
Post mission pager message
Jerry Martinez: It's time to settle things between you and me. I'll be seeing you real soon Vic...
- There is a reference to World of Warcraft, when Phil shouts "LOOOOUUUISSE!", the reference being the viral video of a player in World of Warcraft charging into battle, completely neglecting a carefully planned attack (and eventually causing the death of his teammates) shouting "LEEEEEEROY JENKINS!"
- During the mission it's possible to pay a return visit to the Barracks Safehouse, which has been inaccessible since very early in the game. The save point is disabled, but the pistol spawn point is still active, although by this point in the game it's a rather ineffective weapon.
The reward for completing the mission is $3,000, the Army fatigues and the final storyline mission, Last Stand is unlocked. No message is given regarding the Army fatigues wardrobe since this is reinstating an item from earlier in the game. With the uniform it's possible to come and go from Fort Baxter at will once again. Some walkthroughs suggest the Rhino tank on the base is also unlocked, along with the Rhinos seen on the 6-star wanted level, but this doesn't appear to be the case, at least with the PS2 version.
|GTA Vice City Stories - Walkthrough - Mission 58 - Over the Top(08:51)|