| MISSION |
Paleto Score Setup
|Game:||Grand Theft Auto V|
|Location:||Liquor Ace, Sandy Shores|
Michael De Santa
|Target:||Scouting the Blaine County Savings Bank.|
|Conditions of mission failure:|
|Unlocked by:||Minor Turbulence|
- "I'm gonna break your fucking fingers if you don't knock that shit off!"
- ―Micheal's threat to Trevor while waiting for Lester's bus.
Michael and Trevor meet at Trevor's meth lab in Sandy Shores. They are joined there by FIB agents, Steve Haines and Dave Norton. Haines has yet another job for Michael and Trevor, but this one requires Michael and Trevor to source the equipment they will need, including a military-grade helicopter which will cost at least $2 million, money that Michael and Trevor do not have. With that in mind, Michael remembers a "bank in the sticks" that Lester Crest referred to earlier in the game. Michael phones Lester, who agrees to meet them in Paleto Bay.
Lester arrives by bus, and the trio drive to the Blaine County Savings Bank. They inspect the front of the bank, before driving around the back to see the alarm system setup. Lester wants to check the response time of the local police, so Michael shoots one of the alarms to trigger it. The trio drive to a filling station across the road to wait for the police and time their response. "Sixty-seven seconds" later (according to Lester), four cars arrive, with more on standby. Over Lester's police scanner, the police declare the incident a false alarm and set up checkpoints along the highway. At this point, Trevor leaves the vehicle and steals a motorcycle. When Trevor exits the car, the player can choose whether to control Michael or Trevor. Trevor is more likely to win the race, but choosing Michael allows the player to hear specific dialogue between Michael and Lester. Regardless of who arrives first, once the three reach the meth lab, Lester sets up the board for the heist. The player is able to choose a gunman. After the heist is described, the mission ends with Trevor comically throwing up a bowl of rotten leftovers that he was eating during the heist planning.
The following characters are available to complete Michael, Trevor and Franklin's crew.
- Gustavo Mota - If chosen, he will not be killed in the escape and will provide a distraction while Michael, Trevor and Franklin fight the military in the chicken factory. (Previous experience doesn't make any difference)
- Norm Richards - If chosen, he will be pinned against a wall by a police car and crippled, meaning he will have to be left behind and will not be able to provide a distraction.
- Patrick McReary* - If chosen, he will not be killed in the escape and will provide a distraction while Michael, Trevor and Franklin fight the military in the chicken factory. (Previous experience doesn't make any difference)
- Daryl Johns - If chosen, he will be pinned against a wall by a police car and crippled, meaning he will have to be left behind and will not be able to provide a distraction. It is possible that he dies of his injuries as he adds casualty expenses.
- Chef - Only if Trevor receives his call after the mission "I Fought The Law". If chosen, he will not be killed in the escape and will provide a distraction while Michael, Trevor and Franklin fight the military in the chicken factory.
*Only if the player completed his character's stranger task.
For maximum cash, the best choice is Norm Richards. Although he gets left behind during the mission and consequently costs more due to casualty expenses, Norm’s bag can picked up, allowing the protagonists to continue without losing millions of dollars, and his final cut (10.5%) is still cheaper than that of Chef or Packie (12%). Although logically Daryl Johns is an even cheaper option (9%), Daryl’s presence will be more noticeable in later heists, thus it would be wise keep Daryl for later rather than sacrifice him here. The lack of a gunman shouldn’t provide too much trouble near the end of the heist.
Bear in mind that during the escape the protagonists will lose a bit of money every time that the bag on their back is shot by the police. Because of this, the player should use caution to ensure that the bag stays out of the firing line. Try to keep the protagonist with their back turned to a wall or any place with no officers, so that they don't run the risk of losing too much money.
Regardless of the gunman selected, the following setup mission will be unlocked:
- Go to Michael's car.
- Go to Paleto Bay.
- Go to Blaine County Savings Bank.
- Focus on the bank.
- Go to the empty lot near the bank.
- Shoot the alarm.
- Go to the gas station.
- Race Michael or Trevor back to Liquor Ace.
- Choose a gunman.
Gold Medal Objectives
- Leisurely Drive - Drive to the bank within 03:30.
- Winner - Win the race back to the meth lab.
- Lester Crest - "Can't believe you brought me out to this backwater shithole. Everybody looks like they're related."
- If the player decides to race back as Michael, his conversation with Lester will differ depending on whether or not the player has previously bought stocks on the stock market.
- Regardless of which protagonist the player races back to Liquor Ace as, the radio in the protagonist's vehicle will be tuned to Los Santos Rock Radio and "Night Moves" by Bob Seger will always play.
- If the player chooses to return to the meth lab as Trevor but decides to swim back, Michael will "wait" back on the road but will teleport if Trevor enters a boat.
- The mission will fail if the player enters Los Santos with Michael and Lester. Trevor, however, can roam Los Santos freely.
- If racing as Michael, Trevor will stick his middle finger up at Michael if he is close behind him.
- If playing as Michael when driving back to the meth lab, it is impossible to knock Trevor off his bike. If playing as Trevor, however, he will still fall off the bike if he crashes.
- After the mission ends, Trevor will receive a phone call from Franklin, with Franklin informing Trevor that the O'Neil brothers are looking for him and that Franklin has been following them. After this, should the player switch to Franklin at any time, the mission Predator will automatically begin.
- Driving back to the meth lab as Michael will allow the player to hear a unique conversation between him and Lester, though it is harder to win the race (The Premier has worse off-road handling than Trevor's dirt bike), which is required to attain gold on this mission.
- It is possible to knock Trevor down before he gets on his bike, giving Michael a headstart in the race. The mission will not fail as long as Trevor is not killed.
- Lester claims that the Los Santos Police Department are better trained for armed robberies than the Blaine County Police. However, in normal gameplay, both share the same gunfight and driving tactics.
- Strangely, the officers who respond will usually be Los Santos Police officers instead of the Blaine County Sheriffs.
- When Lester gets off the bus he is wearing suit trousers. However, at the end of the mission, he is wearing jeans.
- If the player scares off the pedestrian that leaves the Ruffian, Trevor will just stand there doing nothing while Michael can drive back.
- Oddly enough, sometimes, when Michael reaches the meth lab, the player will see Trevor in his default outfit on the Ruffian, floating in mid-air. The cutscene that will play is the cutscene when Michael loses the race but it still counts as Michael winning.
- If Michael gets back into the car when he is supposed to shoot the alarm, Trevor will say, "If... you can shoot the alarm from inside here... If not, GET OUT AND SHOOT THE ALARM!" or "Ooh you wanna do a drive-by, huh? You think hanging out with Frankie makes you a gangster, huh?" or "What are you doing in here? Get out and shoot the alarm!" or "We don't want you in here. We want you outside, shooting the alarm."
- When Michael says that Trevor is a hipster, he gets very angry. This is weird as in one of his switch cutscenes, he says that he is a hipster.