|Appearance(s):||Grand Theft Auto IV|
The Ballad of Gay Tony
|Full name:||Phil Bell|
|Also known as:||Phil B|
|Date of birth:||28 June 1967|
|Place of birth:||Alderney City, Alderney|
|Home:||Apartment, Tudor, Alderney|
Frankie Gallo (Nephew)
|Main affiliation:||Pegorino Family (Formerly)|
|Businesses:||Pegorino Family chief capo|
Manager of Honkers
|Voiced by:||Frank Bonsangue|
- "You're gonna learn that there ain't much in this life that you got control of. Whether you're putting yourself in harm's way because that's the way The Skipper wants it done, or you're staying away from your kids because of a stupid court order and a malicious bitch of an ex-wife. There ain't that much control in anything."
- ― Phil Bell
Phil was a close associate or enforcer of Alderney's Pegorino Mafia Family. Phil was seen as a consigliere figure to Don Jimmy Pegorino. He was a friend of Pegorino crime family captain, Ray Boccino, even though they both constantly argued and disagreed. Bell wasn't a made-man as he is only 10% Italian, and most of his family originated from Ireland.
Based on his reactions during the mission Trespass, Phil appears to have a fear of flying.
Phil Bell was born on 28 June 1967 in Alderney City, and is of 90% Irish with some Italian heritage. He acts as if he were a full Italian, probably to fit in with his fellow mafioso. In Catch the Wave, Phil says a lot of Italian phrases, and calls the Irish Mob " Irish idiots", suggesting he is a bit ashamed to be Irish. In 1984, at age 16, he was arrested for trying to steal a car.
Between 1988 and 1990, during his early 20s, he was arrested for promoting gambling and manslaughter. Phil had probably joined the Pegorino Family by then; Jimmy Pegorino says in Pegorino's Pride that Phil is a long-time trusted business partner of his. He also says that he wishes to promote Phil, but worries whether it will offend the Commission, who are somewhat racist against non-Italians. He was previously married and has at least two children, born after 1990, but is now involved in a court battle with his ex-wife over custody of their children.
Phil maintains that he is a legitimate businessman, managing construction yards and the Pegorino-owned Honker's Gentlemen's Club based in Tudor. The authorities have his places of business bugged, so he speaks in generalities which will not implicate him in anything, and is especially cautious with his planning. He and fellow Pegorino capo Ray Boccino secretly hate each other, because Phil believes "every move he makes is so obvious, it's disgusting to see him trying to sleaze his way up the ladder". Ray is also much more ambitious and even selfish, while Phil believes that "there ain't much in this life you got control of", which is why he follows Jimmy's orders to the letter, even when he believes it won't work perfectly (as seen in Catch the Wave). Phil and Jimmy Pegorino's wife Angie are very good friends, causing some to believe they're having an affair. Jimmy doesn't believe the rumors, and has trust in Phil. Phil's role within the Pegorino family is never stated.
Events of GTA IV
Meeting Niko Bellic
Phil first meets Niko Bellic after the failed diamonds deal with the Jewish Mob, as the money were stolen by The Lost MC member Johnny Klebitz. Phil tells to both Niko and Ray that Pegorino is angry because of that the deal goes wrong. The two then sent Niko to find and kill Johnny's associate Jim Fitzgerald.
After some work with Ray, Niko was sent to work for Phil, who planned to attack both the Ancelottis and the Russians, and robbing them out. The two steal a truck load with drugs, and attack a dock full with Russians, steal two drugs boats.
Towards the end of the game, the Pegorino Family receives too much police attention, leading Jimmy to believe the family has several rats. He contemplates which one of his capos he should kill - Phil and Ray each secretly suggest to Pegorino that he kill the other. Jimmy eventually decides to kill Ray. At the very end, whether Deal or Revenge is chosen, Phil chooses to leave organized crime for good in favor of a simple life in a small town. He calls Niko to wish him all the best and they leave on good terms.
LCPD Database record
- No Way on the Subway
- Truck Hustle (Boss)
- Catch the Wave (Boss)
- Trespass (Boss)
- To Live and Die in Alderney (Boss)
- Pest Control
- If the Price is Right (Deal)
- A Dish Served Cold (Post-mission phone call/Revenge)
- Credits (GTA IV)
The Ballad of Gay Tony
- Phil Bell is the only member of the Pegorino crime family who didn't die, as well as being the only person in the family that Niko genuinely respected.
- GTA IV originally called for the player to choose whether to kill Phil or Ray, however it was changed before the game was officially released. Instead the player has to kill Ray Boccino.
- Phil Bell may be based on Henry Hill from the Goodfellas. They are both Irish-Italians who can't become high ranking members due to their Irish ancestry.
- Phil has similarities with JD O'Toole from Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories: JD also can't get to a high rank in his family because of his Irish ancestry.
- Phil's favourite stations are Jazz Nation Radio and Fusion FM, as he will respond positively if the player is travelling with him in a car and switches to one of these stations. He may also like Liberty Rock Radio, as this station plays in the office of his construction company.
- Phil, along with Jacob Hughes, has one of the shortest voice-mails in the game. (This is Phil B, leave a message)
- During the missions with Phil accompanying Niko, if the player drives slowly for a while, Phil will say something like "Inconspicuous...I like it." or "The Feds'll be looking for a fast car. Good work. That's why you gotta drive slow." Furthermore, if the player steals an unoccupied vehicle with Phil, he'll become paranoid and ask if Niko scanned the car for bugs and then give a speech about bugs and other spying devices.
- Like most characters in the game, Phil will don a unique helmet when riding alongside the player on a motorbike. His helmet is color black with gold/yellow stripes.
Grand Theft Auto IV Xbox 360 Trailer - Phil (HD)|Phil Trailer