|Tagline(s):||"Be a real man. Smoke Redwood."|
|Appearance(s):||Grand Theft Auto Vice City|
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories
Grand Theft Auto IV
Grand Theft Auto V
- "Tobacco products for real men who don't go to the doctors or read fear-mongering, left-wing so-called medical propaganda."
- ― Description at LCN.com.
It has appeared in numerous billboards and advertisements throughout the radio. There are also numerous branches of the company, particularly in Vice City. The logo font and package design largely emulates the Marlboro brand. Their main headquarters is located in Downtown Vice City and it's the highest building in Vice City. The company is the official sponsor of the Los Santos City Marathon and the #86 Bati Custom motorcycle in The Lost and Damned and Ballad of Gay Tony.
In Grand Theft Auto IV and its DLC's, there is a website for Redwood Cigarettes which can be accessed using any computer. On the website, a cowboy is featured on the top banner, a reference to the Marlboro Man. There is also a billboard poster for Redwood Cigarettes in Cerveza Heights, as of Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars.
Redwood Cigarettes is shown to have existed as far back as 1947, where they advertised smoking for children, as well as having used product placement in an episode of Gordon Moorehead Rides Again. Their vintage mascot appears to have been a stereotypical red-faced Indian (a nod to the use of Native Americans in vintage cigarette advertising). By 2013, they seem to be involved in corrupt political practices, hiring four corrupt jurors to defend the company at a hearing.
Just like its real-life counterpart, seems Redwood is also involved in sponsoring racing activities, lampshaded in the livery of some Bati Custom bikes and having its name in the Redwood Lights Track, a place popular for off-road races.
In 1984, during the events of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories, the company introduced Redwood Juniors, a brand of candy cigarettes intended to market the real product towards children. Each pack contains 20 candy cigarettes. There are many Redwood Juniors billboards and benches throughout Vice City, featuring the slogan "Junior's Gotta Start Sometime!". There is also a large replica of a Redwood Juniors box atop the Verdi Groceries store in Little Havana.
Events of GTA Online
When playing GTA Online, you may smoke Redwoods at any given time in the game. All the player needs to do is to buy a pack of them in any store. One package of ten cigarettes cost six dollars, and smoking will damage your health. However, the damage is so small, it's completely negligible.
Events of GTA V
During the storyline, Redwood is facing a big lawsuit against their cigarettes. They have paid off four jurors to testify in their favor during the trial. Lester then sends Franklin to kill the 4 corrupt jurors in the mission The Multi Target Assassination. With all 4 of the jurors dead, Redwood loses the lawsuit, making their stocks suffer a huge drop in value.
After completing the mission The Multi Target Assassination, invest all the money of the protagonists in Redwood stocks, wait 2-3 days until their price returns to the pre-mission value, and sell all their stocks for a little profit.
- Besides the obvious parody of Marlboro cigarettes, Redwood Cigarettes is likely a play on Red Apple cigarettes, a fictitious tobacco brand that routinely appears in Quentin Tarantino movies.
- Redwood's cartoon advertisement featuring children smoking their cigarettes seems to reference an actual Marlboro commercial that featured Fred and Barney from The Flintstones smoking cigarettes.
- The brand's main logo appears to feature the small illustration of a recreational trailer, slightly resembling an Airstream trailer.
- A Bravado Gauntlet is available with Redwood livery after winning race 2 of the stock car racing in GTA V (enhanced version only).