Religion is a topic sometimes referred to in the Grand Theft Auto series, whether it be through the words of characters and radio, or through objects in the games' environments. These references are listed in this article.
In GTA 2, the only way to save the game is by using the Jesus Saves church. They are identified by a neon sign with the name written on it, but every few seconds the J, E, and both S's in JESUS flicker off, causing the sign to read "U SAVE".
In Grand Theft Auto III the "Jesus Saves" feature from GTA 2 was removed and replaced with the safe house based saving system.
There isn't a church anywhere in Vice City.
- In the beta, Pastor Richards was supposed to play a larger role (he only appears briefly in The Party, and also as a guest on Pressing Issues). His character was largely removed because his voice actor, David Green, passed away during development.
- Pastor Richards reveals on Pressing Issues that he promises salvation to people who give him money, a possible reference to the Church of Scientology.
- There are non-interactive churches located in Jefferson in Los Santos, Ocean Flats and Calton Heights in San Fierro, and Blackfield in Las Venturas.
- There is a business in Palomino Creek called Park 'n' Pray Drive Thru Confessions.
- There is an "Erotic Wedding Chapel" in Roca Escalante, Las Venturas.
- Lazlow interviews Epsilon Program leader Cris Formage on an Entertaining America show. Epsilonism is a parody of the Church of Scientology.
- Billy Dexter, former Entertaining America host, says "Kifflom!", hinting he is an Epsilon follower.
- Katie Zhan, one of CJ's possible girlfriends, says that she doesn't like the Epsilon cult and refers to it's followers as "nut jobs".
- Maccer and Jezz Torrent both claim that Epsilon helped them with their drug problems.
- Darius Fontaine hates religion.
Religion plays a small role in the storyline of LCS.
- As it is set in Liberty City, the Cathedral is in Bedford Point in 1998.
- Toni Cipriani does some missions for the 'priest' at the Cathedral. The priest turns out to be a Liberty Tree reporter impersonating the priest who tells Toni to perform crimes, then reports on them with the full story.
- What is a Punk Noodles factory in 2001 is the Holy rev. Joe's Flophouse. It is unknown who Reverend Joe is.
- Donald Love is found performing traditional Buddhist meditation ("I'm just seeking spiritual enlightenment, if you must ask but, not today") in the cutscene to the mission Love on the Run.
- On Chatterbox on LCFR, a caller tells Lazlow that he is campaigning to replace the Liberty Cathedral's garden with "a post-modern square building with Internet terminals and foosball tables to worship at". Lazlow disagrees with the caller, saying "come on, the church garden is beautiful!". By 2001, the church's main graveyard has been replaced by a large square concrete building, hinting that the plan was approved.
There are churches throughout Grand Theft Auto IV's rendition of Liberty City, as well as some characters making comments about religion:
- There is a church in Leftwood, Alderney.
- The Columbus Cathedral is a Catholic Church located in Hatton Gardens, Algonquin.
- There is a church in Suffolk, Algonquin. Depending on the player's choice, one of the McReary brothers' funerals (either Francis or Derrick) is held here, as well as Roman and Mallories wedding.