The SS Bulker is a freighter ship owned by Merryweather Security Consulting. It is used to transport precious cargo, including dangerous weapons. The SS Bulker can be destroyed in 2013 while it was docked at the Port of Los Santos carrying a powerful superweapon, during the events of The Merryweather Heist.
Events of GTA V
The SS Bulker is first discovered when Trevor Philips and Floyd Hebert visit the port. They attempt to access the ship, but are distracted by port workers. After finishing some small tasks, Trevor takes pictures of the freighter from the cargo crane and sends them to Ron Jakowski via text message. These pictures are later used for planning The Merryweather Heist.
If the Freighter option for the heist is chosen, then the crew will decide to assault the freighter. Michael De Santa uses a Dinghy to move up to the side of the freighter and infiltrates the Bulker. Franklin Clinton is responsible for providing sniper support, killing several Merryweather guards in the process. Eventually, Michael plants five bombs throughout the ship and detonates them, thus destroying the SS Bulker. Trevor later arrives in a Submersible to extract the superweapon from the ship's submerged ruins.
A strange conflict appears, after both approaches a news report online claims that the boat sank. The boat will be present upright through the storyline and after if the Offshore approach is chosen, but it will remain capsized if the player chooses the Freighter method.
- GTA V
- A bulker is a type of cargo ship specially designed to transport unpackaged bulk cargo, such as grains, coal, ore, and cement in its cargo holds. While bulkers appeared in GTA San Andreas, the SS Bulker is not a bulker at all, but rather a container ship.
- The SS Bulker's destruction is similar to how the Platypus was destroyed in Bomb Da Base II in GTA IV's multiplayer. Both ships were infiltrated and its guards killed, and bombs are planted onto the ships.
- Out of the two missions where it is featured, there are no guards at all on the ship, and the player is free to explore it without taking risk.
- It reuses the same model as the Daisy Lee, but with more containers on the deck. It also has a black base as opposed to a green one. Coincidentally, the Submersible that can be used to retrieve the weapon in the Freighter approach was stolen from the Daisy Lee.
- The ships has pipes on the deck that, when shot, will leak gas and do damage to anyone nearby as if it was Tear Gas.
- SS is a ship prefix for a steamship, which would be unlikely for a modern-era cargo ship like the Bulker.