|Game:||Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories|
|Location:||Jerry Martinez's Barracks, Fort Baxter Air Base|
|Conditions of mission failure:||Wasted|
- "Vic Vance reporting for duty, sir!"
- ― Victor Vance
Soldier is the first storyline mission in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories given to protagonist Victor Vance by army sergeant Jerry Martinez from his office at the Fort Baxter Air Base in Vice City.
Victor arrives at the Fort Baxter Air Base by a Barracks OL and meets his new sergeant, Jerry Martinez. Jerry tells him the real opportunity to make money however Victor refuses to go through any trouble. Jerry then tells him to get over to Escobar International Airport and pick up a package for him. Victor, outside, is handed a pager and on a Streetfighter makes it to the airport. When meeting the dealer with the package, however, hitmen are following and attacking them. Victor starts shooting at the hitmen but the Marquis is set on fire. The dealer's hookers both die in the explosion and the dealer drowns as Victor manage to escape and swim to shore while avoiding gunfire from the hitmen. Victor goes back to his barracks inside the base and hides the drugs there.
In order to complete the mission the player must:
- Take Sgt. Martinez's bike.
- Go to the V.I.P. terminal at the airport.
- Swim to shore.
- Return to Fort Baxter.
- Take the package to your barracks.
- Chronologically, this is the first mission in the 3D Universe, beginning the series of events that will conclude with the last mission in GTA III, The Exchange.
- When a new game is started, the radio will be tuned to Emotion 98.3 and will be playing "I Want to Know What Love is" by Foreigner. However, this will not always be the case. Sometimes the radio will reset itself and play the audio file from the beginning.
- Victor should not be saluting Jerry, because Jerry is a sergeant (Sergeants are not considered officers in the military, and hence are not to be saluted). However, soldiers are told in military conduct training that they must salute a major Non-Commisoned-Officer under a situation if applicable.
- Also, ranks below sergeant are not required to call sergeants "Sir". Only Warrant Officers and Commissioned officers should be addressed as "Sir".
- The Barracks OL that drops Vic off has a license plate of VC2 which could be referencing that this is the second GTA III era game to feature Vice City.
- This is the only mission in the game that requires the player to swim.
- To prevent the player from using the attackers' boat, it is given a minimal amount of health and a special hitbox so it will start burning when the crew is killed and Vic cannot hop onto it when it is intact.